Vibrating noise when Auger clutch lifts during auto-engage - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Vibrating noise when Auger clutch lifts during auto-engage

Hi all,

Finally got to try my "new to me" Ariens 926LE on Saturday. I noticed a noise when you have both the drive and augur engaged and you remove your right hand from the augur control to adjust the shoot. The augur handle lifts up maybe 1/2" and you hear a vibration sound. If you press it back down, it goes away. I had my neighbor do it for me on the video. It's easy to hear.

I'm looking at the manual and I guess this can be resolved by "repositioning the idler on the attachment belt idler arm to adjust the spring tension". That was the only thing mentioned about controlling the auger clutch. Maybe someone else has some other ideas. Not sure if the spring is just old and not as tight.

The augur does engage and disengage without any issues. Any concerns about waiting until after the storm to try to fix this?

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-16-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I never got any replies on this. Still need to fix it so I thought I'd bump it up. I have not yet tried what I wrote. Still need to. If you click pictures, it goes to the video.

Thanks!

post #3 of 11 Old 10-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Sorry you didn't get a response back in January when you made this original post. Maybe everybody was too busy dealing with the snow we had last winter. Hopefully bumping this up might get somebody's attention that dealt with the same issue.

I clicked on the photo in your post, and it went to something, but there was no video there to be seen.

Have you tried contacting the dealership you bought it from, or Ariens help line?

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
I was able to see the video by clicking on the picture.
Belt adjustment possibly considering the fact that it goes away when you press the handle all the way down indeed placing more tension on the belt, just a thought.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-16-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi bwdbrn1 and hsblowersfan,

Thanks for the replies. I'll try adjusting the belt.

@bwdbrn1 - I bought it used off craigslist. Don't have a local dealership that I really trust (based on really bad reviews) and haven't called the Ariens help line, but that's a good thought.

Thanks bwdbrn1 thanked for this post
post #6 of 11 Old 10-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
If the belt or idler adjustment doesn't take care of it you might need to put it up on blocks and engage it and then try putting pressure on each of the components.
From the video I can't tell the location but that buzzing could be excessive play where the handle pivots, where the rod connects (each end), ... all the way to the belt.
If it's a loose rod connection maybe adding some nylon washers or anything to help isolate metal to metal loose contact would help.

My Murray had that auger lock feature and it's handle pops up a bit but still remains engaged too. I'm guessing it's just something with too much play.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update - from what I can tell, the noise is coming from the handle vibrating. I'm wondering if I can fix it by just replacing the spring extension. Maybe there's a little too much play.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2015, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
zup28w
Just to be clear, there is a rattle whenever the clutch handle interlock is in operation and the auger clutch handle is released?

In other words this rattle only occurs while the wheel drive is in operation (left handle down) and auger is operating via interlock (you let go of right handle)?
Is rattle a fair description of the noise? It's what I thought I heard in the video.
How are the vibration levels overall?

I don't have a blower like this to offer advice, but I am trying to help you better explain what you are experiencing so those with a machine like yours can offer advice.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2015, 10:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
I have a ST1130DLE which is similar and I wouldn't worry too much about the rattling, just make sure the belt or belts? (mine has two for impeller auger)doesn't slip, it is adjustable right beside the idler pulley. On another note does your chute turn well from side to side?

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
zup28w
Just to be clear, there is a rattle whenever the clutch handle interlock is in operation and the auger clutch handle is released?

In other words this rattle only occurs while the wheel drive is in operation (left handle down) and auger is operating via interlock (you let go of right handle)?
Is rattle a fair description of the noise? It's what I thought I heard in the video.
How are the vibration levels overall?

I don't have a blower like this to offer advice, but I am trying to help you better explain what you are experiencing so those with a machine like yours can offer advice.
Hi Dbert,

Correct. You described it much better than I've been able to. Regarding overall vibration, it doesn't seem like the machine vibrates an excessive amount.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page