Impeller fan and sheave pulley will not turn - rakes spin normally - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Impeller fan and sheave pulley will not turn - rakes spin normally

I have an late 70's Ariens 32" blower, it was working fine until a couple days ago when blowing a heavy pile of slushy snow, the impeller stopped spinning and began melting the belt and then shut off.

I have since taken off the snow-thro unit and first found that the engine sheave will not spin, inspecting the inside of the unit, the rakes are spinning normally and the shear pins in the rakes appear to fine but I can not spin the impeller fan in the back of the unit. Using a breaker bar through the chute and a hammer, I was able to whack one of the fan blades and move it an inch or two but that didn't loosen it up at all.

I have little experience with these things and I am learning as I am going through youtube videos etc. At this point I can't figure out what it could be outside of a problem in the gearbox unless I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-27-2015, 11:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Received): 2
The rakes should not spin at all unless the impeller is spinning. They are driven by a worm gear. The worm gear is driven by the impeller shaft.

You have a gearbox problem. Likely one of the gears is damaged/fractured.

The shear pins didn't break in time.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you, good to know, I'll stop racking my brain and trying to figure it out and bring it somewhere to be repaired.

It just so happens that I am looking out at 2' of snow right now and its still going, timing on this could not be any worse.

Carburetor needs a rebuild, it is pissing gas all over the place, I had intended to do that myself but i'll just have them take care of that while they are at it.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-27-2015, 12:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Just a heads up, it may be an expensive fix if it is the gearbox but, there are lots of parts out there.

The carb repair shouldn't be too bad.

What I'm saying is don't give up on the snowblower. They really don't build them like they used to.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-27-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was gifted the machine by a friend who moved to a warmer climate and I'm pretty sure it was made in 78 which is the year I was born so I have every intention of keeping it.

A quick Google search leads me to believe that a new comparable replacement would be $1k or more, further incentive to make this one work.

I will update this thread with my progress.

Last edited by bllgrn; 01-27-2015 at 12:23 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
Sometimes Ice can form behind the Impeller and freezes it to the housing. This happens when there is consecutive storms and not enough time is given for thaw. Your augers should not be spinning though. If those pins aren't broken that spells trouble, if the rakes don't spin on the shaft with the pins removed, even bigger trouble.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillnGullyRider View Post
Sometimes Ice can form behind the Impeller and freezes it to the housing. This happens when there is consecutive storms and not enough time is given for thaw. Your augers should not be spinning though. If those pins aren't broken that spells trouble, if the rakes don't spin on the shaft with the pins removed, even bigger trouble.
I left a space heater pointing at the mouth of the unit for an hour or two which melted all the snow and ice and got the metal pretty warm so I am confident it is not a matter of the fan being frozen.

I have not removed the pins, but the rates do spin together with some effort despite the impeller fan / shaft being locked into place.

I am trying to find someone to look at it now, if anyone knows of a good shop in RI/SE.MA i'm all ears.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-28-2015, 12:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 2
Bill,

Please entertain me while I ask a few questions....

1. The tractor side of the machine works? Can you start the engine put in gear and run that half around? I'm trying to ascertain if the big (sheave) pulley on the tractor side spins, or is that frozen as well?

2. Does the jaw clutch on the Sno-thro spin freely?

Getting the impeller assembly out of the housing can be a real bear, especially if it is not rotating. I know you are inclined to take it to a shop, but if the issue is only with the sno-thro side then you may want to search your local ads like craig's list or here in the forums (Jackmels is a good place to start) and look for a similar vintage machine that has the same size bucket in non running condition. Most of the same era machines share similar parts and attachments. If you find one (best case with a blown engine on the cheap) and it mates up with your tractor you will have saved some serious cash. How much to pay for a none working blower of the same age? Depends on how badly you need it. I've picked them up off the curb saving them from the scrap yard and I've paid $100 for one that was an exact match for the year and model I was working on.

Best of Luck!
post #9 of 20 Old 01-28-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Bill,

Please entertain me while I ask a few questions....

1. The tractor side of the machine works? Can you start the engine put in gear and run that half around? I'm trying to ascertain if the big (sheave) pulley on the tractor side spins, or is that frozen as well?

2. Does the jaw clutch on the Sno-thro spin freely?

Getting the impeller assembly out of the housing can be a real bear, especially if it is not rotating. I know you are inclined to take it to a shop, but if the issue is only with the sno-thro side then you may want to search your local ads like craig's list or here in the forums (Jackmels is a good place to start) and look for a similar vintage machine that has the same size bucket in non running condition. Most of the same era machines share similar parts and attachments. If you find one (best case with a blown engine on the cheap) and it mates up with your tractor you will have saved some serious cash. How much to pay for a none working blower of the same age? Depends on how badly you need it. I've picked them up off the curb saving them from the scrap yard and I've paid $100 for one that was an exact match for the year and model I was working on.

Best of Luck!
Interesting, I like the way you think.

Tractor side works just fine, carb is leaking, but I can fix that. Big sheave on the tractor side is working, sheave on the sno-thro side is not.

I'm sorry but, I don't know which piece the jaw clutch you are referring to is.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-28-2015, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
You could also pop open the auger gearbox. It may just be the gear fractured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page