post #1 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Deluxe 28 just won't start

Hi all:
I am first time home owner and hence new to this snow blowing etc. After reading much reviews I went ahead and bought an Ariens Deluxe 28 from a local store. It was working just fine until a few hours ago. I filled the tank with gas and checked the oil level. It was working just fine and all of a sudden it turned off and its just not starting no matter how many times I prime it and crank it up. I am a total noob when it comes to machine and hence have no clue what is happening. I read online to check and clean the governor/carburetor. Where do I find it on the machine and how to clean it? If a little bit of water has went in the gas tank, how do I get rid of it? I am hoping to have it ready at least by tomorrow to clear out rest of the snow, having shoveled my 6 car driveway has taken its toll on my back. Your patience and help is highly appreciated here.

Cheers!
Ramaka.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
No offrnse, but it you don't know where the carburetor is, then I don't think that cleaning it would be in your capabilities. If you are sure that that you got some gas in the fuel tank, since it is heavier than gasoline, it would have gotten fed into your carb pretty quick. Can you call your "local store" - probably a National Chain like H-D, and see if they will help you out. If it is really a local store, then they most likely will come out to your house and get you going. What you have to do is shut off the gas shut-off lever, and then drain the water out of the carb bowl, or you can try putting a little dry gas in your fuel tank - but "little" is dependent upon how much gas is in your tank - they dry gas can will tell you the correct ratio. Another idea idea is to get some starting ether an spray it into the box by the choke, and that may get it running enough to push the water through the engine, and get it running on gasoline.

Good luck, and report back !
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ramaka thanked for this post
post #3 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi RIT333, thanks for the reply and none taken. Thanks for being frank. I will call the local store and have them come over and have a look and definitely keep you updated. I am glad I am learning something new out of my mistakes !
post #4 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Welcome to the forum Ramaka.
I would check for spark first, also you should try loosening your gas cap and see if it will start. I had a similar problem this season and it seemed to fix itself, but I think it was a spark issue.
Bottom line is you shouldn't have to mess around with a brand new machine. That's what warranty is all about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 05:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaka View Post
Hi all:
It was working just fine and all of a sudden it turned off and its just not starting no matter how many times I prime it and crank it up.

At this point I would say the engine is flooded, so first remove the spark plug and see if it is wet, dry it off with compressed air and crank your engine without the plug and you will see it will be very easy to turn.
Put back your plug and without any prime and just choke try to start it.
You should not use the primer once the engine has started and gets warm.
I should ask though, is the gas you put in your blower new of many months old? Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 2
Have you checked the obvious things, the run switch is on, gas shutoff is in the on position, the key is pushed all the way in, throttle turned clockwise. Also try using the electric start if you have been pull starting it.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hill View Post
Welcome to the forum Ramaka.
I would check for spark first, also you should try loosening your gas cap and see if it will start. I had a similar problem this season and it seemed to fix itself, but I think it was a spark issue.
Bottom line is you shouldn't have to mess around with a brand new machine. That's what warranty is all about.
Thanks Blue Hill. I tries loosening the gas cap and cranking it, but that didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
At this point I would say the engine is flooded, so first remove the spark plug and see if it is wet, dry it off with compressed air and crank your engine without the plug and you will see it will be very easy to turn.
Put back your plug and without any prime and just choke try to start it.
You should not use the primer once the engine has started and gets warm.
I should ask though, is the gas you put in your blower new of many months old? Good Luck
Thanks Normex. I will try what you have suggested tomorrow morning. The gas was just a couple weeks old.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Have you checked the obvious things, the run switch is on, gas shutoff is in the on position, the key is pushed all the way in, throttle turned clockwise. Also try using the electric start if you have been pull starting it.
Yes, blizzard, I double triple checked all the obvious things and they seem to be in the right position. I don't have the wire to try the electric starter, will buy as soon as the blizzard clears up.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 07:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 6
first off you are not thydas husband are you?? start sequence is turn on key, turn on gas, turn choke to full, throttle to bunny rabbit, prime 2 times and pull..almost right away shut off choke fully...go blow some snow...steve

2014 ariens deluxe 28+

post #10 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
I'm leaning toward a fuel line freeze up.

Get your self some of this,
NAPA AUTO PARTS
dump in an ounce or so, wait an hour and try firing it off.

This is all I use for fuel line freeze up, and I feel it is the best thing on the market!

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page