LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
I'm no longer disappointed in my 11528

We got 8" of extremely heavy, wet snow last night/today, but that's what these machines are for, right? I snapped two shear pins (lotta fun replacing those!) which, i guess can be expected and offers further testament to how heavy & wet this stuff is. My big complaint is almost a total lack of reverse power. I wind up horsing it, it's that inadequate and frustrating. And while the forward power is a lot better, it still seems to lack traction. Will chains help? I've got the tires inflated properly; will it help to deflate them somewhat? Please, no Patriots references!

Last edited by Skydog; 02-02-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-01-2015, 04:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
We got 8" of extremely heavy, wet snow last night/today, but that's what these machines are for, right? I snapped two shear pins (lotta fun replacing those!) which, i guess can be expected and offers further testament to how heavy & wet this stuff is. My big complaint is almost a total lack of reverse power. I wind up horsing it, it's that inadequate and frustrating. And while the forward power is a lot better, it still seems to lack traction. Will chains help? I've got the tires inflated properly; will it help to deflate them somewhat?
While snow blowers are meant to blow any snow, they perform a lot better with the regular snow. From what you are describing with the reverse, it might indicate your left hand adjustable cable is loose thereby not putting enough pressure on the friction disk when you press the left handle.
Check if the cable is loose or hanging and at the lowest part before it enters inside the bottom end, you can tighten it somewhat near the spring.
I have an Ariens 1130DLE and I definitively need chains and you would find having some a great improvement. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Skydog thanked for this post
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2015, 05:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
We got 8" of extremely heavy, wet snow last night/today, but that's what these machines are for, right? I snapped two shear pins (lotta fun replacing those!) which, i guess can be expected and offers further testament to how heavy & wet this stuff is. My big complaint is almost a total lack of reverse power. I wind up horsing it, it's that inadequate and frustrating. And while the forward power is a lot better, it still seems to lack traction. Will chains help? I've got the tires inflated properly; will it help to deflate them somewhat? Please, no Patriots references!
Just used my 11528 in 8" and it ran like a champ even though the carb is due for a cleaning...I did put brand new belts on in November though.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2015, 06:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 124
Garage
Shear pins on the auger shaft will not break in snow, you must have encountered a solid object with the auger. A water shut-off valve or a step or curb or something solid. You may want to check around for a hazard.

Does your machine have a solid axle where both wheels are locked together which makes turning a chore or do you have a differential which limits traction to the wheel with the least traction but makes turning easy? The latter will usually require chains for decent traction on grades or icy surfaces.

I assume you have a disc drive clutch system. If your machine will go forward correctly but cannot readily backup then you may want to adjust the gear selector. The selector moves the rubber tired clutch wheel to the left for forward gears and to the right for reverse gears. If it is adjusted too far left then you may need to run to keep up at highest gear while reverse will be extremely slow. There will be an adjustment in the gear shift mechanism to position the clutch rubber tired wheel in the optimum horizontal position. Drain the gas from the fuel tank and position the machine vertically on the auger housing and remove the lower cover plate to expose the transmission. Check that clutch plate and rubber tired clutch wheel are clean and free from grease. Operate the gear shift to see the current settings and adjust the shift linkage to your preference. At the same time make sure the drive plate moves up into strong contact with the rubber tired clutch wheel, and adjust the linkage from the drive lever to get it right.

The drive belt closest to the engine should be in good shape and the spring tensioner from the idler wheel to the chassis should keep the belt tight. If the belt is loose then the drive will be weak.

Chains are expensive and make the snowblower rough to operate so explore the alternatives first. On a dry surface with rubber tires you should not be able to stop your machine in forward or reverse. If both wheels are driving then ice is not much of a problem for large (diameter) rubber tires.

Hope this helps.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Skydog thanked for this post
post #5 of 5 Old 02-02-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Well, I feel a little stupid for not asking questions and/or investigating first. There was three loose nuts on my machine; one on the gear selector linkage, one on the drive clutch linkage, and last, but not least, the one holding the controls (Me!). I took up slack in the first two linkages, and the machine reverses fine now. Thanks, @Town, your advice was spot on.

Last edited by Skydog; 02-07-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page