LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
My new 921030 won't

engage in reverse. Unless I don't understand how to put it in reverse. It's a new Deluxe 28 purchased in late October. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 06:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Is this the first time trying, or did it work previously?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
Sounds like the gear shift linkage is not adjusted correctly. Does the gear shift lever move from the R2 to the F6 positions? Do all positions result in a forward drive? Is it hard to keep up with the machine in F6?

There is an adjustment process to set the gear linkage correctly. I will describe it if you cannot find it in your manual.

Good luck.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Looks like the Home Depot dudes didn't adjust it correctly. Imagine that.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 10:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardguy View Post
Looks like the Home Depot dudes didn't adjust it correctly. Imagine that.
Ariens calls the procedure the "Speed Selector Adjustment" and is very simple according to the owner manual. Nice graphic to identify the parts and a foolproof procedure that should take you no more than 2 minutes to complete. Nice job Ariens.

Good luck.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cardguy thanked for this post
post #6 of 8 Old 02-02-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Sounds like the gear shift linkage is not adjusted correctly. Does the gear shift lever move from the R2 to the F6 positions? Do all positions result in a forward drive? Is it hard to keep up with the machine in F6?

There is an adjustment process to set the gear linkage correctly. I will describe it if you cannot find it in your manual.

Good luck.
Town, If you don't mind, please explain it to me in case I miss something in the manual. Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardguy View Post
Town, If you don't mind, please explain it to me in case I miss something in the manual. Thanks.
The Speed selector adjustment procedure shows a diagram of the parts involved on the right side of machine from under the control panel to the middle of the back part of chassis. It shows the "Shift Rod" as the two part rod bolted together that is threaded into the "Adjustment Pivot Pin" that fits into the "Speed Selector Lever" and retained by a "Hairpin". The speed selector lever is formed into a right angle and enters the chassis below the starter housing. Note that the two part shift rod is bolted together to form the longest rod.

To adjust:
1. Disconnect adjustment pivot pin from speed selector lever by removing hairpin;
2. Place the speed selector lever on the control panel in the fastest forward speed position;
3. Turn the speed selector lever straight down towards the ground as far as it will go;
4. Thread the adjustment pivot pin along the shift rod until it aligns with the mating hole on the speed selector lever. Insert the pivot pin into hole.
5. Secure adjustment pivot pin with hairpin.
6. Make sure the speed selector lever on control panel shifts into each speed position.
7. Start engine and check forward and reverse speeds.

So you can sum the procedure into a 2 minute process as follows:
Pull the hairpin where the shift rod attaches to the right angled speed selector lever and separate the two "rods" and move the right angled lever down toward the ground and move the speed shift lever on control panel to fastest forward position. Adjust the length of the two part rod by screwing it in or out of the threaded block (adjustment pivot pin) so the end aligns with the hole in the right angled lever and insert and replace the hairpin clip. Check that all speeds are working correctly. You are done.

On my machine first forward speed is very slow but works well for manoeuvring between cars and garage doors, etc. The fastest forward speed is not as fast as other machines I have used but is plenty fast for transporting machine between driveways. I have not used the first reverse gear since the second reverse gear is great for backing up. On a slippery surface I find it dangerous to pull the machine backwards.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-02-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, yes it can be done in under 2 minutes. Works perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page