LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 02-02-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Brand new Platinum 30 stalling

hey guys, first post here but I've been reading for a while.

Finally got my new platinum 30 out to use today, and had a problem.

It seemed to start ok, I used the electric start, and I let it run for a while to warm up. After using it for a bit, and going down my decline that is my driveway, it stalled out. I tried to pull start it but it wouldnt, so I moved it up to my level driveway and it started up on the second pull.

I checked the gas and I had half a tank. Am I correct reading it right when the fuel is at the red "fuel line" ?

Could i be starving it for gas somehow? It happend a couple other times. Could there be garbage in the line? Its brand new and my gas can is clean, so I'm at a loss here.

When it shuts down, its like someone turning the key off. It doesnt lug, doesnt act like its starving. just shuts off. always on the decline of the driveway.

My plan is to get new gas, drain this one into a jar to see if there is any garbage, and check the fuel filter. Will this be easy? I really dont want to drag it to a dealer if I dont have to.

Thoughts? Ariens thinks its a fuel issue. Dealer says to drain it. What is the easy way to check for garbage in the lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-02-2015, 07:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
There have been some reports of brand new Ariens machines stalling from a defective fuel cap. Apparently they vent doesn't work and it creates a vacuum not allowing the fuel to get to the carb. Ariens has been mailing new caps to people who complain directly to them. Some dealers are playing dumb or telling customers to return their machines and not giving out caps.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks spinkick thanked for this post
post #3 of 46 Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 44
You could verify SHRYP's response by removing the fuel cap and see if it continues to run.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #4 of 46 Old 02-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
up to my level driveway and it started up on the second pull.
I checked the gas and I had half a tank.
Could i be starving it for gas somehow? It happend a couple other times.
When it shuts down, its like someone turning the key off. It doesnt lug, doesnt act like its starving. just shuts off. always on the decline of the driveway.
I might be on a limb here but when you will have the tank empty, you could with a flashlight look inside and try to see the height of your fuel pick up since it happens only when in decline. If you didn't drain your gas yet you could start it and try to lift or put something below the tires at roughly the same angle as the decline and see if it happens again. If it does you may have to call the dealer to pick it up and let them make the needed adjustment. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #5 of 46 Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 224
Likes (Received): 135
I'll suggest double-checking the obvious: What position is the fuel shut off valve in?

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #6 of 46 Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you guys for the tips I'm going to check the gas cap, thats an easy fix!

Yep, the gas is on
post #7 of 46 Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
I might be on a limb here but when you will have the tank empty, you could with a flashlight look inside and try to see the height of your fuel pick up since it happens only when in decline. If you didn't drain your gas yet you could start it and try to lift or put something below the tires at roughly the same angle as the decline and see if it happens again. If it does you may have to call the dealer to pick it up and let them make the needed adjustment. Good Luck
Thanks, I didnt realize the fuel pickup might have a different level.
post #8 of 46 Old 02-03-2015, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
I think I have a similar problem with my 2014/15 Platinum 30 SHO since I ran out of gas twice on second use. On a level surface when I ran out of gas there was still some fuel in the tank while all my other machines would have been empty. So I figured a bad gas cap or a fuel pickup raised above the bottom of the tank. Before going to see my dealer I wanted to find out how much gas was left inaccessible in the tank.

My dealer had previously told me to fill the tank just to the red plastic piece located in the clear plastic screen in the tank neck. Neither the Owner manual nor the engine manual give any specifics on the level. So the red marker is where I kept the fuel level.

I measured the tank at 2.25" from the top of the neck to the bottom of the tank. The red plastic marker is 1.5" below the neck, so there is only 0.75" of fuel in the tank. The top of the screen lip is 0.25" below the neck. So I filled the tank to the top of the screen lip that gives me 2.0" of fuel (instead of 0.75"), more than doubling fuel capacity. There is a lot of air space since the tank has a large raised area on the sides and rear of tank that is more than adequate. I ran the machine with the extra fuel for its third outing and did not run out of gas and still had 0.5" of gas remaining.

So I still need to find out how the tank outlet is oriented, it is no longer a problem. I intend seeing my dealer to check on how these tanks are made this week.

I doubt the lines are blocked or partially blocked, but to check, look under the engine at the rear just forward of the primer. You will see the float bowl of the carb. It has two screws, the center one holds the float bowl in place while the other one is the float bowl fuel drain. Loosen the drain with a wrench so you can unscrew by hand. Place a small funnel under the bowl and lead into a container to catch the gas. Undo the drain and there should be a strong flow at first that will slow as fuel is metered through the float valve. Turn the fuel shut off valve off to end the test and replace the drain screw. You are not likely to see any dirt, but look for water at the bottom of the container.

Good luck.
post #9 of 46 Old 02-03-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
I think I have a similar problem with my 2014/15 Platinum 30 SHO since I ran out of gas twice on second use. On a level surface when I ran out of gas there was still some fuel in the tank while all my other machines would have been empty. So I figured a bad gas cap or a fuel pickup raised above the bottom of the tank. Before going to see my dealer I wanted to find out how much gas was left inaccessible in the tank.

My dealer had previously told me to fill the tank just to the red plastic piece located in the clear plastic screen in the tank neck. Neither the Owner manual nor the engine manual give any specifics on the level. So the red marker is where I kept the fuel level.

I measured the tank at 2.25" from the top of the neck to the bottom of the tank. The red plastic marker is 1.5" below the neck, so there is only 0.75" of fuel in the tank. The top of the screen lip is 0.25" below the neck. So I filled the tank to the top of the screen lip that gives me 2.0" of fuel (instead of 0.75"), more than doubling fuel capacity. There is a lot of air space since the tank has a large raised area on the sides and rear of tank that is more than adequate. I ran the machine with the extra fuel for its third outing and did not run out of gas and still had 0.5" of gas remaining.

So I still need to find out how the tank outlet is oriented, it is no longer a problem. I intend seeing my dealer to check on how these tanks are made this week.

I doubt the lines are blocked or partially blocked, but to check, look under the engine at the rear just forward of the primer. You will see the float bowl of the carb. It has two screws, the center one holds the float bowl in place while the other one is the float bowl fuel drain. Loosen the drain with a wrench so you can unscrew by hand. Place a small funnel under the bowl and lead into a container to catch the gas. Undo the drain and there should be a strong flow at first that will slow as fuel is metered through the float valve. Turn the fuel shut off valve off to end the test and replace the drain screw. You are not likely to see any dirt, but look for water at the bottom of the container.

Good luck.
Thanks for this. I would really like to hear the rest of the story because I bet that's what is going on with me too, I fill it to the red line and it does not seem to be a lot of fuel in there up to that point. I'll check out the float bowl and report back.
post #10 of 46 Old 02-03-2015, 02:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 42
If you are having trouble starting your Ariens Snow Blower, here is a link to our Snow Blower Troubleshooting Tips document our Tech Service group put together. Please check this out to see if one of these ideas help your situation.

If you still can't get it started, please send me a private message with your model and serial number, and I can reach out to our Tech Service group directly so they can assist you.

Thanks.

Mary Lyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page