post #1 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New 24 PLATINUM hard starting

Hello to all.
Just had a chance to use my new 24 Platinum with our 17" snowfall this weekend.
My quest is. Is anyone else having trouble starting their new Ariens? After setting the choke and priming, I'm lucky if I can get it going with the pull start. When I use the electric start it will work. How many time should I need to PULL before it should start? Also, after pulling into the garage Sunday, I could not get it started either by pull or electrical assist. Should I have my dealer pick it upup and take a look at it? I'm running unadulterated gas. No E85 here.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 09:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 91
Likes (Given): 403
Likes (Received): 184
First I would get rid of all the gas you have in the tank. Next starting with some newly
purchased gas try and see what happens. Make sure you are following the proper starting procedures in the manual exactly. If it still won't start easily on the first or second pull get that machine into the dealer pronto.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Zavie,

Thanks for the response. As for the gas, I didn't mention that I just purchased it on Friday morning, so I don't think that would be the cause.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? On average, how many pulls does it take to get your machine going?

Funny, but I have a 23 year old Honda HS624 and the thing still starts on the second pull. Go figure.

Thanks.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 11:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby48230 View Post
Hello to all.
Just had a chance to use my new 24 Platinum with our 17" snowfall this weekend.
My quest is. Is anyone else having trouble starting their new Ariens? After setting the choke and priming, I'm lucky if I can get it going with the pull start. When I use the electric start it will work. How many time should I need to PULL before it should start? Also, after pulling into the garage Sunday, I could not get it started either by pull or electrical assist. Should I have my dealer pick it upup and take a look at it? I'm running unadulterated gas. No E85 here.

Thanks for your input.
My input : I know someone with new 28" platinum, was having similar problems. Turned out the manual had the choke described in error. Follow the choke diagram on the machine and not in the manual. This is possibly where your issue is.
They couldn't keep it running off choke as per the manual but in reality that was the OFF choke position so it needed to be taken off choke, where in the manual that was the run position. Hope this helps.

Last edited by all3939; 02-03-2015 at 11:16 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Full CLOCKWISE for the choke is fully choked.....just an FYI
post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Exactly how I have it. Just went out and followed the dealer's, mechanic's, advice and still no start after 12 pulls. I then used the electric start and still had a had time starting it but it finally caught.

I'll try again tomorrow but if no luck I'll be calling the dealer. Suppose to get 2-3 inches tonight.

Any other suggestion, or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 12:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby48230 View Post
Exactly how I have it. Just went out and followed the dealer's, mechanic's, advice and still no start after 12 pulls. I then used the electric start and still had a had time starting it but it finally caught.

I'll try again tomorrow but if no luck I'll be calling the dealer. Suppose to get 2-3 inches tonight.

Any other suggestion, or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Generally speaking a no start is either no sparks or no fuel/bad fuel. The ignition switch on your machine needs to be turned clockwise for on, which is different to older machines that just use a static plastic plug. You can pull a spark plug and re-install in cap and touch the plug body to an engine ground and run the electric starter to see that you have sparks. The Torch spark plugs fitted to your engine are not generally considered a quality item, so if no sparks then first try a Champion spark plug replacement. To check for fuel in the carb, find the float bowl at the back of the engine, just forward of the primer. The float bowl has two screws, the center one holds the bowl in place while the other is a drain. Loosen the drain screw with a wrench and place a funnel under the bowl leading into a container. Open the fuel shut off control and unscrew the drain screw by hand. There will be an initial strong flow that will slow as fuel is metered through the float valve. Turn the fuel shut off valve off and reinstall the drain screw. Check for water in the container. So with fuel and sparks your machine should start on the first pull like mine does even at -20 C.

Fuel is the most likely problem with your machine, and fresh fuel is no guarantee. I always use fuel stabilizer in my fuel as soon as I buy it.

Good luck.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 91
Likes (Given): 403
Likes (Received): 184
It is possible to get a bad tank of gas. That's why I suggested you drain the non or hard starting gas an try some new. That would eliminate the fuel as a possible contributor to your starting issue. Not much else I would do. If the hard starting continued after different gas I would be on my dealer ASAP. Your Platinum is a premium expensive machine. Should start by 1 or 2 pulls!
post #9 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 02:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 42
If you are having trouble starting your Ariens Snow Blower, here is a link to our Snow Blower Troubleshooting Tips document our Tech Service group put together. Please check this out to see if one of these ideas help your situation.

If you still can't get it started, please send me a private message with your model and serial number so I can reach out to our Tech Service group directly.

Thanks.

Mary Lyn
post #10 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 06:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 4
My platinum 24 starts first pull every time. Here's a video of a cold start I did when it was below 0. http://youtu.be/3sz2cpUsePk
Although I do have an Briggs on mine though. I'm not sold on those "Ariens ax" engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page