LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-05-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Platinum 30 SHO Scraper bar

Hey guys, Great site! Iíve been lurking here for about 3 months after discovering this site during my research phase for a new blower purchase. Finally got my P30 SHO delivered from PED yesterday. (Sorry to all the dealer fans out there but the cost differential was just too much between PEDís final blowout sale price of $1567/free shipping vs what theyíre asking around here plus sales tax; and Iím more than handy when it comes to mechanical issues for setting it up correctly.) I have a few questions concerning blower I was hoping someone might answer.

Question 1: The scraper bar. When I tipped my unit up in the air to remove the lower cover for some protective Fluid Film application on the inner components, I noticed that my scraper bar was mounted at an extreme angle. As in, on the left side, it was bolted down at the bottom of the adjustment, and on the right side it was bolted at the top of the adjustment. I took it off, never-seized the bolts and reinstalled it with it being straight at the top of the adjustment across its length. I got to thinking that maybe it's possible the factory did that to compensate for something being off rather than just lazy assembly? Sitting on the garage floor it seems level to me but no proof since my garage floor isn't perfect either. It came down on the 1/8" spacers at each side without any feeling of anything being off. I recall a comment by one of the members that his housing was welded at an angle so it just made me think. Manual says nothing about the bar other than the fact it's adjustable.

Question 2: The leaking gas cap. Iíve read a few threads on the forum saying that the fix for this is an update kit from Ariens with a metal insert, plastic screen and new gas cap. My problem: Iíve already got those on this unit and it leaks gas all over the place. I find it funny in a sad way that theyíve had to change the cap design so the tank doesnít vent to the atmosphere, yet in doing so, it leaks gas all over the placeÖinto the atmosphere! In all the years of having snow blowers, Iíve never had a single tank leak up until this ďnew and improvedĒ design. So, short of running it with a 1/3 of a tank, which is when I stop smelling and seeing the lake on top of the tank, whatís the fix for this? Itís pretty annoying. This thing is a gas hog as it is without it losing half the fuel out of the cap rather than down the fuel line.

Thanks,
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Scraper bar is fixed. Some things come crooked, what can you do
The gas leak is a major issue. My understanding is Ariens provides service for both the engine and tractor components, most manufacturers only cover the machine parts and leave you hanging on the engine side to contact the supplier. I don't know what PED is, but a call to Ariens should get you set straight. There's a lady on here from Ariens that posts. Maybe PM her.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2015, 12:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Welcome to the forum, Yes definitively your cap is defective and Ariens will replace it and or you can PM Mary Lyn here on this forum as she represent Ariens directly, you don't too many companies doing this here Mary Lyn for Ariens and Robert for Honda. Here is Mary Lyn's contact: Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums - View Profile: Ariens Company
and look under the contact info. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.

Last edited by Normex; 02-06-2015 at 12:47 AM.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-06-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. I'd registered it yesterday and had sent a report to Ariens customer service. I've got a confirmation this morning that they're sending out the missing handlebar spacer and the gas cap to me so we'll see if the new cap solves the problem.

Now I just need to deal with the nightmare known as "auto-turn".....unfortunately I'm in the camp of "where the heck is this thing going now?" as I zig zag all over the driveway. No problems at all blowing out the back yard, it just doesn't like hitting any packed down tire tracks or bits of ice up on the driveway. I'm going to make up a set of poly skids this weekend for it. seems the forces of armor vs poly are about evenly matched throughout all the threads, everyone winning with better results over the stock tiny steel skids.

just an fyi, the answer is "yes"...I did follow all the setup instructions on the videos concerning auto turn adjustment!
post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 0
is there any way that "auto turn" can be manually disengaged/disabled? On the 2008 model I use, it didn't come with the auto turn but rather there is a little handle below the left grip that you can squeeze once to take it out of 2WD and then you can make a nice turn, then when ready for 2WD again, just squeeze the lever, then engage the drive lever, and she goes again in 2WD. I LOVE this type of set-up.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-06-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
is there any way that "auto turn" can be manually disengaged/disabled? On the 2008 model I use, it didn't come with the auto turn but rather there is a little handle below the left grip that you can squeeze once to take it out of 2WD and then you can make a nice turn, then when ready for 2WD again, just squeeze the lever, then engage the drive lever, and she goes again in 2WD. I LOVE this type of set-up.
Are you trying to rub it in?!? That's what I'd really like, but too many parts to replace to make that happen. Unfortunately, there's no way to disengage the auto-turn. It's a specific differential gear. Believe me, during my research, I wanted no part of it based on all the complaints, but I was hoping I'd be part of the "I love it" crowd. Unfortunately my fears were realized within the first minutes of use. I came up with ways of making it full time 2wd, but that's not really desirable with the weight of the blower to have to muscle it through turns. Plus, I don't really want to have to get into heavily modifying a $1600 machine just to be able to use it. Step one is the skid change for me and I hope it stops there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page