LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
People who LIKE the Auto-turn

There are many threads from people who do not like the Auto-turn for one reason or another, but not one thread for those of us who like it. For prospecting buyers who are researching a new Ariens model, I think there should also be a thread showing there are people who really like it too. I'm one of them after I replaced my stock skids. Stock skids and the Auto-turn only worked well on pavement for me, but on gravel or grass it was non-existent. Now it works beautifully and I truly love the feature. I wish my DR. Field and Brush mower had the same Auto-turn differential, it would make that a perfect machine.

So for those of you who actually like this feature and why, chime in! Support the Auto-turn!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ariens Company liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-09-2015, 10:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I like my 2015 platinum 30 SHO with auto turn. I had lasts years model with auto turn too. It does seem to turn nicely and I put the bigger tires on mine too. I use a Honda track drive to and these machines you must throw around to turn. The auto turn Ariens my four year old boy can turn it. No problems with it either.. Had about ten hours on my 2014 model and about 1 hour on my 2015 model. I think it should be a bullet proof set up for years to come.

2015 Honda HS928K1TAS
2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO (921040)
2014 Ariens Compact 24 (Wife's)
post #3 of 32 Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 26
New Pro 28 here. Upgraded from an old st1032 that I had for 25 years, with manual locking drive, which usually stayed unlocked because it was too heavy and hard to turn locked.

The Pro28 was purchased this year, (thank god) and so far auto turn works likes its not there. I use it on an old cracked paved driveway, a gravel driveway and on grass in the back yard for the dog. it works fine, I have no problem going where I want, we have had an insane amount of snow here in boston, and it pro28 has handled it without a hitch.

I've used it on inclined, and angled driveways within inches of vehicles, trying to dig them out, and it still goes straight until I turn it.

this has all been with stock skids. I just put on the armor skids to see if it went any better, and honestly after a little work yesterday, I think I might like the stock skids better. I will see how the armor skid do after this recent storm and a full test.

I
post #4 of 32 Old 02-09-2015, 11:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 425
Likes (Received): 139
I'm new to snow blowing so I really don't have much to compare to
Even with the stock skids my machine kept a pretty straight line , it wants to keep straight at slow speeds and easy to do curves and such from 2nd gear on up. One thing I did learn was not to fight it , leave a couple inches overlap on passes and just guide it along.
My machine is only 2 feet wide so it's about the same width as the wheels , Maybe a wider 28" or 30" bucket would cause more pull just by being wider
I put on the armor skids because the stock ones would sink in on unfrozen lawn or new gravel on my drive way . I also have places where I drive up a 2-3" rise to the gravel and was catching too much gravel. Amazing how far those 1 1/2" crushed stones will fly out into the yard
Auto turn works well for me.

Phil

Ariens 2 foot SHO
post #5 of 32 Old 02-09-2015, 12:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
I have a new Deluxe 28 with Armor skids and it works perfectly. I do a small gravel driveway and our brother in laws 300 ft gravel driveway. and the only time my deluxe 28 varies is when I want it to. It runs straight and true until I want to turn. The auto turn takes a little getting used to, but it is a superior addition to the snow blowing world. I want to add that I use the Deluxe 28 on the grass also to keep the paths to my sheds open. It runs just as well on the grass as it does on the gravel. Also keep a path open around to the back of the brother in laws house so the oil truck can have access to the oil tanks for his heater.

Last edited by podevil; 02-09-2015 at 12:33 PM.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-09-2015, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
I have the plastic Ariens skids to prevent any damage to paver driveways. I clear 5 driveways with my Platinum 30 SHO and the Auto-Turn works perfectly with all the manoeuvring that entails. It is easy to manoeuvre on high traction surfaces including dry asphalt and concrete. Both the drive wheels maintain strong traction and both will spin if the machine is prevented from moving by some obstacle. I have used and repaired snowblowers for more than 40 years and this is the best setup I have ever used.

The 1974 Canadiana 8/26 with open differential was very easy to manoeuvre but traction was limited to wheel with least traction. So it needed chains under all conditions. The chains made the machine rough to handle.

The 2004 Craftsman 11/30 with the triggers to release the drive from one or both wheels, sounded perfect but was not. Drive was not consistent and would allow one wheel to slip under load. The machine would shift left and right in straight line as resistance was encountered. A very weak drive system with this machine that Sears Technicians could not solve within the 3 year extended warranty period. The problem seemed to be due to the small gears and weak springs at each wheel unable to lock the drive wheels completely. The system only worked well on very smooth driveways. Very easy to manoeuvre with the triggers pulled on to release the drive. I gave up after 4 years and locked the wheels to the axle to eliminate the unpredictable movement. The heavy machine is quite the workout to blow out 5 driveways.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #7 of 32 Old 02-09-2015, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 14
I like it when maneuvering in the garage and when taking a 90 degree turn doing my sidewalks. Other than that, I'll reserve judgement until after i replace the stock skids.

Craftsman 5/22 with impeller mod & poly skids,
Ariens 28+ Deluxe 921037 AX291
post #8 of 32 Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 24
I have had three different Ariens auto turn models and they all worked great

2018 Ariens 938025 Professional 21 inch
2018 Ariens 921050 Platinum 369cc SHO 24"
2011 John Deere X728/47" Quick Hitch Snowblower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff
post #9 of 32 Old 02-10-2015, 12:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 10
New deluxe 28 this year.Two storms so far it works great on the driveway and cutting paths to the shed and birdfeeders in the yard. I put the poly skids on after the first storm because jt was scratching up the new driveway. No complaints so far.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
In a thread about liking the auto-turn 2/3 of the people who have posted either have already or have plans to replace the stock skids. I include myself in this group. Replacing the stock skids made my Ariens go from an upper body workout to a pleasure to use. I really like the auto-turn feature now.
But, had it not been for this forum and the many discussions about replacing the skids I would have remained very unhappy about auto-turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page