Ariens Pro 32 Automatic Turn problem and drive slipping problems - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Pro 32 Automatic Turn problem and drive slipping problems

I have a 3 year old Ariens Pro 32 blower (model 926039). So far it's been a great machine. And the two problems are having aren't major issues, but I'd like to get them resolved.

The first is the auto turn feature. Mine is labelled "Automatic Turning Control, triggerless control" on the control panel. Problem is, it rarely seems to work. I read the threads about adjusting it, but it's not that it's pulling. It tracks nice and straight, but when I put pressure on a handle, it never really turns. If I keep the drive engaged, both wheels are spinning at the same speed. Maybe at higher gears, it works a bit, not sure if it's my imagination. But it's definitely not working at the slower speeds. Is this just an easy adjustment too?

Also, I've noticed when I'm blowing deep fluffy snow, the friction drive seems to slip a lot. It just goes nowhere and then it starts to grip again and move. It seems as if snow/water is making its way into the gearcase. Should there be seals or anything there keeping it all dry? Could it just be time for a new friction wheel already? The machine only has about 30 hrs on it total.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 06:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
The ATC or Automatic Traction Control on yours was their first attempt at auto turn. That was a one year only thing and for the past couple years it has been replaced with the auto turn style. I am not sure what was wrong with that design, but I think the newer ones turn easier so it might be working as designed.

There was an upgrade kit available. I think all you actually need is the large differential gear. I think the axles are the same.

For the drive slipping watch this video.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Terrance liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 07:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
You have the Hilliard automatic differential. It is different than auto-turn.
Hilliard is a historic American company

The Auto Turn is a French product of the General Transmission company.

They are both similar devices, but apparently the GT auto-turn is either more effective or cheaper to stick on new blowers.

Since you do have the Hilliard you do not need the retrofit kit, you can leave it be or buy just the GT differential($120), they both use the same splines, so you don't need the kit that comes with new axles.

There is an old thread where a member has documented the switchover if you search around.

------------------
There is an engine baffle kit to stop water from getting near the belt, but i think yours is new enough it should come with one.

Last edited by HillnGullyRider; 02-09-2015 at 07:31 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 10
If you do have the ATC (Hilliard), I'm guessing there may be some on this forum willing to trade you their AutoTurn for your ATC.

Your drive issue may be as easy as a simple adjustment of the cable.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHAWK9 View Post
If you do have the ATC (Hilliard), I'm guessing there may be some on this forum willing to trade you their AutoTurn for your ATC.

JR, aren't you the one that has tried both? My guess is very few will be able to speak of a side by side comparo as the Hilliard is so scarce and now NLA.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillnGullyRider View Post
JR, aren't you the one that has tried both? My guess is very few will be able to speak of a side by side comparo as the Hilliard is so scarce and now NLA.
Yes I am. The ATC doesn't unlock nearly as easy as the AutoTurn. My ATC would unlock fine at real slow speeds, but seemed to not want to unlock at faster speeds.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
So if you put the machine in first gear before initiating a turn it would work fine? That sounds like the opposite of what the OP is describing.

Quote:
He has no cable

Last edited by HillnGullyRider; 02-09-2015 at 08:18 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 08:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillnGullyRider View Post
So if you put the machine in first gear before initiating a turn it would work fine? That sounds like the opposite of what the OP is describing.

He has no cable
yeah, first gear it would seem to work. It's been awhile though since I used it.

He has a cable to adjust the pressure placed on the plate by the friction wheel.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
He has a cable to adjust the pressure placed on the plate by the friction wheel.
So too much forward drive my cause it not to unlock? Isn't there a spring inside the differential as well? I wonder if that may cause a problem if it's too stiff or too weak?
post #10 of 15 Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. Sorry I didn't get back to the forum until today.

So to be clear, it seems to work better at slower speeds as mentioned. Above second speed, it doesn't seem to want to unlock. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Now in reading between the lines, is the Hillard actually the more desirable system? Someone mentioned that someone might want to trade for it, so that makes me think it's considered better, even though it's not used anymore?

I can't tell from looking at the manual if there is any adjustments for it. I really would like to get it working right, as it's a heavy machine to manhandle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page