LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
924050 gearbox issues... worth saving?

Hello All! My old 924050 appears to have gearbox issues after many years of great service. Today, the bucket was loading up and, when I shut it down, I noted that I could spin the augers without the impeller shaft rotating. So, I suspect the gearbox is dying/dead. It's the aluminum gearbox. I read elsewhere that attempting to repair the gearbox itself is an exercise in futility? New complete gearbox assemblies are way beyond my budget. Might be able to find a used one but how long might that last? Bottom line... is this older machine worth fixing or should I part it out and buy another used machine? It runs great, has a good amount of surface rust but has been reliable here in NH for the past 9 years of my ownership. I bought it used for $50 at that time and rebuild the carb to get it running. Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
If all you need is the brass gear you can get them on ebay or from a member here named Jackmels for around $80. If you need more than that maybe you should look for another parts machine and cobble the 2 together. If it has worked great for you don't give up on it, but at the same time keep an eye on craigslist for something useful.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks nhdude thanked for this post
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Are you sure its not broken shear pins?
It would be unusual for both sides to go at the same time, bit it could happen..
Just something to confirm..
Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks nhdude, Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #4 of 6 Old 02-10-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for your suggestions! The shear pins are good. In fact, I just used the machine to clear about 6" of snow from my driveway. The augers rotate until I get into deep or heavy/packed snow, then they stall. So, I suspect the gear is catching until there is a heavier load on it. Not sure I have the skills to take this thing apart to replace the gear and we are right in the middle of multiple heavy storms. Might buy another used machine to keep me going and fix this one at my leisure or sell it as a parts/repairable unit. Thanks again!
post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 684
Likes (Given): 3871
Likes (Received): 1485
Garage
You should also put up a picture or two of it when asking if you should try to save it or send it to blower heaven.

If it's been good enough in the past getting the job done I'd sure say that unless it's really beat up and rusty it would be worth saving. It's a solid machine. An 824 is a good sized machine for most average driveways.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks nhdude thanked for this post
post #6 of 6 Old 02-13-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I decided to leave the repair to someone else and bought a used Simplicity 860DLX in excellent condition. Sold the ST824 to a guy who repairs and resells them. He was happy to pay $125 for it and I was happy to get it! Thanks to all for suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page