post #1 of 9 Old 02-10-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Two concerns

I have two concerns with my Ariens Deluxe 28" +

1) The choke does not go straight up when it is closed like this | It looks like it has another click to go but will not so the max it can go is / when as full choke is -
I hope you can visualize what I am saying here but is this normal. I assume when the choke is off, it should be completely vertical (turned all the way to the left) and when it is on, it should be horizontal. I can take a picture if not but I wanted to see if this was normal.

2) Adjusting deflector control, my Ariens will not keep the deflector past the 3-4th notch without falling back down. I can possibly tighten the bolt spring but wanted to see if this was a common problem with a quick fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 684
Likes (Given): 3871
Likes (Received): 1485
Garage
For the choke, best thing to do is physically look at the carbs choke plate and see if, and where full closed is. Also that it does open all the way up too.

Hopefully someone who owns one can comment on if the knob is supposed to be straight up or ??? Same with your chute.

The knobs position isn't as important as you knowing what is happening with the choke plate in relation to where you have the knob set.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-10-2015, 12:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 1
I have a 28+.. I'll check when I get home from work today and let you know.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 28+ #921037 w/Armor skids
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyb View Post
I have two concerns with my Ariens Deluxe 28" +

1) The choke does not go straight up when it is closed like this | It looks like it has another click to go but will not so the max it can go is / when as full choke is -
I hope you can visualize what I am saying here but is this normal. I assume when the choke is off, it should be completely vertical (turned all the way to the left) and when it is on, it should be horizontal. I can take a picture if not but I wanted to see if this was normal.

2) Adjusting deflector control, my Ariens will not keep the deflector past the 3-4th notch without falling back down. I can possibly tighten the bolt spring but wanted to see if this was a common problem with a quick fix.
The positions on my choke control are much the same as yours. I have not looked at the carb to actually see where the choke is but I assume it moves from full choke to no choke. I can count the indents from full choke to off if that would help. The engine runs good anyway.

The chute deflector would not stay in the full down position on my machine. It would spring back up 2 or 3 notches and gradually got worse in the first use. The problem is due to insufficient tension on the spring that keeps the lever to the right side of the notch. When you look under the control panel at the chute control you will see a small gap between the handle plate and the control panel metal plate separating chute control from gear shift control (speed shifter). You will need an open ended wrench (I think a 1/2" size) to hold the bolt that the spring is fastened to and use a wrench to tighten the spring. As you tighten the spring the chute adjuster lever plate will move closer to the control panel plate. You will see the chute lever move further into the slot. In my case it is fully into the slot and the lever no longer jumps out of place.

Hope this helps and good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
The positions on my choke control are much the same as yours. I have not looked at the carb to actually see where the choke is but I assume it moves from full choke to no choke. I can count the indents from full choke to off if that would help. The engine runs good anyway.

The chute deflector would not stay in the full down position on my machine. It would spring back up 2 or 3 notches and gradually got worse in the first use. The problem is due to insufficient tension on the spring that keeps the lever to the right side of the notch. When you look under the control panel at the chute control you will see a small gap between the handle plate and the control panel metal plate separating chute control from gear shift control (speed shifter). You will need an open ended wrench (I think a 1/2" size) to hold the bolt that the spring is fastened to and use a wrench to tighten the spring. As you tighten the spring the chute adjuster lever plate will move closer to the control panel plate. You will see the chute lever move further into the slot. In my case it is fully into the slot and the lever no longer jumps out of place.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Perfect!!! I was going to try and tighten that spring but didn't want to make the effort if was possibly missing a washer or something.

Thanks!
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2015, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyb View Post
Perfect!!! I was going to try and tighten that spring but didn't want to make the effort if was possibly missing a washer or something.

Thanks!
There are 3 indents from full choke to off on my machine. Attached are pictures showing my setup.

First picture shows the choke off;

second the choke on;

third is the chute control fully engaged in its slot for the chute full down position;

the fourth shows the bracket for the gear shift (right side) and the chute control left side of the twin metal supports for the control panel. You can see the bolt and the spring adjusting nut for the chute control and how many threads I adjusted it from yours. EDIT NOTE: There is a thin washer for the chute control between the plate and bracket. The gear shift uses a thick washer between the shift lever and the bracket.

Good luck.

Last edited by Town; 11-27-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #7 of 9 Old 02-10-2015, 05:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 3
Town - looking at your pictures, I see you're missing the aluminum spacer to take up the slack between the cable eye and the hair pin retainer on the post. not a big deal but may cause some premature wear with it being able to slide around. you could just use some washers to fill the space if you wanted to.
Thanks Town thanked for this post
post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
Town - looking at your pictures, I see you're missing the aluminum spacer to take up the slack between the cable eye and the hair pin retainer on the post. not a big deal but may cause some premature wear with it being able to slide around. you could just use some washers to fill the space if you wanted to.
Thank you for spotting that problem, I will fix it. The hairpin clip was lost and the cable detached from the pin. I replaced the hairpin clip but did not know there was a spacer there.

Good catch.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-11-2015, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Thank you for spotting that problem, I will fix it. The hairpin clip was lost and the cable detached from the pin. I replaced the hairpin clip but did not know there was a spacer there.

Good catch.
No problem. That spacer holds a special place in my heart since I spent 5 minutes looking for it when it hit the floor during my blower assembly last week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page