LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Gas Cap Problem

I took my gas cap from my new 28+ to the dealer because when tightened down the motor would sputter and quit after a few minutes. If you left it loose it will run just fine. The dealer told me to drill a hole in it.

Not satisfied with that answer I contacted Ariens by email with this information. Here is their response;

"The gas tank will vent through the gas cap. When installing the gas cap turn it until you first feel it tighten and stop turning the cap on. Any tighter and the result will be what you are experiencing. If this continues I would have the dealer take a look at the cap."

Wow, I was unaware of the special instructions needed to secure a gas cap. I was sure I mentioned to them that I had already taken the cap to the dealer.

Great warranty service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-11-2015, 09:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 120
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty View Post
I took my gas cap from my new 28+ to the dealer because when tightened down the motor would sputter and quit after a few minutes. If you left it loose it will run just fine. The dealer told me to drill a hole in it.

Not satisfied with that answer I contacted Ariens by email with this information. Here is their response;

"The gas tank will vent through the gas cap. When installing the gas cap turn it until you first feel it tighten and stop turning the cap on. Any tighter and the result will be what you are experiencing. If this continues I would have the dealer take a look at the cap."

Wow, I was unaware of the special instructions needed to secure a gas cap. I was sure I mentioned to them that I had already taken the cap to the dealer.

Great warranty service.
I tighten my gas cap down fully and have no problem. Don't drill any holes in the cap, your cap is faulty. What others have done is to phone Ariens to say your cap is leaking gas. Which of course it is when not tightened down fully. Ariens will send you a new gas cap kit which seems to include the cap and screen fitting. The leaking gas cap seems to be a known problem.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 20 Old 02-11-2015, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 3
uh oh. I got my new cap kit in from Ariens yesterday. It was exactly the same metal insert, screen and cap that was already on mine. Only difference was that the new cap was definitely tighter than the original. I almost had to use two hands to turn it to the stops. I didn't run it after installing it though, so now I'll have to fire it up when I get home to see if the motor starves out. (and if the leaking stopped). This is such a crappy tank design compared to the simple working setups of the 60s-70s blowers that every owner out there for the past 50 years has never had to deal with a leaking gas cap.
post #4 of 20 Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
I also tighten mine all the way, you'll feel some resistance and then it locks in. Even though my gas cap didn't leak (knock on wood) I had my dealer get me the replacement gas cap kit under the recall, and the only difference is in the thickness of the rubber gasket. Take the gasket out of your old gas cap and the new one and compare. The new one is thicker. I don't use the splash guard because I have to refuel so often it gets in the way and annoys me, but it doesn't leak. It locks-in much firmer than the old cap with the thinner gasket.

Ariens Platinum 30 SHO
post #5 of 20 Old 02-11-2015, 10:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Take a look at how Honda ventilated their gas tank. There is a fitting in the gas tank and a small hose that runs to the air intake of the carburetor. This is a much better design than a pin hole in the cap. Plus any gasoline vapors are drawn through the carburetor and into the engine to be burned. Even the HF Predator 212cc engine has the same design gasoline tank vent.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
Take a look at how Honda ventilated their gas tank. There is a fitting in the gas tank and a small hose that runs to the air intake of the carburetor. This is a much better design than a pin hole in the cap. Plus any gasoline vapors are drawn through the carburetor and into the engine to be burned. Even the HF Predator 212cc engine has the same design gasoline tank vent.
Oh, that is the vent? My first Predator didn't have that hose, but my newer one does.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 3
just a follow up....fired it up yesterday and ran it for about 15 minutes cleaning up around the garage. No leaks and no starvation issue One thing I'm concerned about though is the metal lip on the neck insert sticks up a bit so that thicker rubber ring on the new cap could be rubbing on it since it goes on so tight now. Just hoping it doesn't start to cut up that rubber seal. That tank cap's going to get quite a work out since this tank holds only a few thimblefuls of gas!
post #8 of 20 Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:

Great warranty service.
Well, I received another Email from Ariens. They wrote that they are sending me a new gas cap. I'll let you know how it turns out.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 42
Quote:

Great warranty service.
Drifty -

Sorry you are having trouble with your gas cap. Please send me a Private Message with your model and serial number so I can help you with this.

Thanks.

Mary Lyn
post #10 of 20 Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 8
There's a recall on the gas cap??? I guess I need to contact Ariens. Mine leaked when I put it in the maintenance position to put the friction disc back together.
First time using my new deluxe 30 was not a good experience nor was dealing with the dealer I bought from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page