Oil level on Ariens 932001, 2.7hp Tecumseh - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Oil level on Ariens 932001, 2.7hp Tecumseh

I just got an Ariens 92001 from a friend, hoping to get get her fired up before the next 12" projected for MA this weekend. First thing I want to do is change the oil. Since there is no dipstick how do I know how much oil to add? Do I just fill to the bottom threads of the fill hole. I want clean out the carb and make it all nice but with the new storms coming I am hoping to not have to shovel again so if it starts and runs I will clean her up after this season. Thanks in advance for any info you guys can supply me. This is a great site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsilva View Post
I just got an Ariens 92001 from a friend, hoping to get get her fired up before the next 12" projected for MA this weekend. First thing I want to do is change the oil. Since there is no dipstick how do I know how much oil to add? Do I just fill to the bottom threads of the fill hole. I want clean out the carb and make it all nice but with the new storms coming I am hoping to not have to shovel again so if it starts and runs I will clean her up after this season. Thanks in advance for any info you guys can supply me. This is a great site.
I dont know how much oil that particular engine takes..
but filling it to the bottom of the threads would be way waaay waaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much oil! you definitely dont want to do that.

It should have come with a dipstick I would think..
unless it has an "overflow" opening..some engines do.
it would be a second opening, not the one you use to fill the oil.
I havent heard of any older Tecumsehs having this, but its possible.

but without a dipstick, or that "overflow port", we need to find out the engine oil capacity..

run the engine with the "old" oil in it, to warm it up,
turn off the engine and drain out the old oil..give it at least an hour,
overnight would be better..

then, based on the stated manufacturer oil capacity, add that amount.
that will do for the short-term..but you will definitely need to find a dipstick, checking the oil level often is very important.

I will take a look for engine data.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks tjsilva thanked for this post
post #3 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I just got an Ariens 92001 from a friend, .
There is no such thing as a 92001.
please double-check that model number!
and the engine should have a data tag on the side of it..
please post any numbers you find there..

Scot

post #4 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 11:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1648
Likes (Received): 383
Quote:
Welcome to SBF tjsilva! Great resource for information right here!

1st recommendation is to start your own thread for your machine; it gets confusing when posters hop-on existing threads to ask questions (widely considered thread hijacking).

2nd recommendation is that we like pictures

see if you can find your engine here: Tecumseh oil capacities.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Thanks Sid thanked for this post
post #5 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
When tjsilva gets back to us about the model number, I will move these new posts into a new thread..

Scot

post #6 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry guys the model number is 932001, It has the 2.7HP tecumseh on it. Amazed at all the replies so Quickly.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thats going to be a H30 or H35 engine, or a variant in that range..
The Ariens owners manual doesnt give the exact engine model:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/PM-32-77.pdf

Its probably, 95% likely, one of the engines in the "H, HSK 30-35" range on that document that classiccat posted..

but:

tjsilva,
does your engine have a data tag on the side of it?
if so, post all the numbers on that tag..

getting the *exact* model number, and its oil capacity, is very important.
this isnt something you want to guess at..

Scot

Thanks tjsilva thanked for this post
post #8 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I am at work but will get that posted when I get home. Thanks everyone.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
actually, now that I think about it..
I now own a 2.7hp Tecumseh engine!
on my '62 ariens..I have only owned it 2 months, and I haven't done an oil change on it yet..
I have checked the oil level once..no dipstick!

I think this is *probably* a model where you do actually fill it to the threads..
unusual, in my experience..but the filler hole is probably much lower on the engine block than in other, larger, engine models..so a dipstick isnt necessary.
(on an engine that does have, or should have, a dipstick, filling to the threads would be a MAJOR overfill, but clearly not all engines have
the oil fill opening in the same location..if its lower, you could not need a dipstick..just fill until it leaks out)

this is *probably* what is going on here..but it would still be good to confirm it.
because as I said, oil level isnt something you want to guess at.
you want to be certain it is correct..the life of the engine depends on it.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 02-12-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-12-2015, 01:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 266
Don't know if this helps but here are some pictures that illustrate the difference.

Most Tecumseh snowblower engines have an oil fill plug + dipstick located high up on the engine like this (its the yellow thing):

Plugs like that will (or should) have a dipstick attached and you add oil until it reaches the "full" line on the dipstick.

But a few engines, mostly smaller ones, have plugs without dipsticks located near the bottom of the engine like this:

If your engine has a plug that is mounted low and has no dipstick attached, generally you fill the oil as much as possible - meaning until it starts to run out of the hole. That's with the machine on a level surface, of course.
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks tjsilva, Sid, classiccat thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page