LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 18
Ariens 24" SHO 921308 is a No Go!

Received this 24" SHO snow blower today, unpackaged it and started the installation process. After installing the handle bars I went to move the unit forward and it would not budge. I should note that the unit was not running at the time. I then proceeded to move it backwards, and it moved just fine. However, I just could not move the unit forward. I contacted a nearby dealer and they told me that they have never heard of this before.

I continued the installation process for the chute/cables, which by the way is not very clear in the instructions on how to install it. However, with the help of Ariens customer care we were able to figure it out after about 10 minutes on the phone.

I proceeded ahead by reversing the unit into position since I could not push it forward, and poured some fuel into the tank. I started up the unit, put it into forward gear and it didn't move. I also started to hear some metal on metal banging. I put it in reverse and it still did not move. Put it back into forward gear, and it still did not move.

I called the dealer that I bought it from and they stated the sound was normal as it was a belt, and that I needed to adjust the drive shaft???? When does a belt make a banging sound???

When I got off the phone with the dealer, I rechecked everything tried to push the unit forward and it did not budge. However, I was again still able to push it backwards. I started the machine back up again, and this time a louder metal on metal sound took place and I saw a rod (drive shaft??) pop out from the side of the housing.

I called the dealer I purchased it from, and they told me it's basically my problem to find a dealer and bring it to them for service. I can't believe the kind of customer service offered these days, especially when I just spent $1400 on a brand new machine that I am unable to use. So I left a message with Ariens, and we will see what they have to say. I will also report back with hopefully some answers.

ps

Something else I need to bring up with Ariens. I also noticed fuel dripping out of the gas cap as I was trying to maneuver the unit around. Are they selling lemons these days??? Do they have a QC department??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
Welcome to the forum Vento

What dealer did you buy it from that tells you you have to take it to another dealer ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Welcome to the forum Vento

What dealer did you buy it from that tells you you have to take it to another dealer ??
I purchased it from an online dealer.
post #4 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 07:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 186
Welcome to the forum Vento. Please tell me that you put this purchase on a charge card. Use this to leverage satisfaction from your dealer and Ariens. I would absolutely not pay the charge bill until you have received an excellent working unit. Isn't the gas cap leaking a known issue? This is crazy, here you have good money paid for stuff like this, urgggg!!!! Isn't there someone else on the forum with a new SHO that has a leaking cap and a tiny fuel tank? The Ariens 24" SHO used to be on my stretch to buy love to own list, but I'd have to re-power it with a Briggs & Stratton so I could get a good engine.
post #5 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 07:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vento View Post
I purchased it from an online dealer.
Wow. To bad you did not come to us before you made this purchase. Not a person on this forum would have green lighted this "on line purchase". All of us strongly believe to deal with a brick and mortar authorized dealer, and not even a big box store dealer. Now your stuck up sh1t creek with out a paddle.

My only suggestion is to reach out to Mary Lyn of Ariens, she is on this forum, and is an employee of Ariens Mother ship in Brillion WI, and see if she can help you. She is a great lady and has helped many on this forum. PM her your model and serial number.
DO NOT LIGHT HER UP, this is not her fault. Be respectful, it will go a long ways. You get more honey from bees than vinegar.

Maybe flip the blower on it's bucket (called the service position) take off the 6 bolts that hold the bottom cover on, and stick your nose in there to see if anything jumps out at you in the area of the friction disc (side to side silver looking disc) in relation to the drive wheel (front to back wheel with a rubber cover running the circumference of the wheel)

Good luck!!

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #6 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1165
you could post pics or a vid of these problems that are presenting themselves unto you.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 09:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Sorry to hear your problem. I would be beyond livid. Hopefully you will get good support from Ariens.
post #8 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Welcome to the forum Vento. Please tell me that you put this purchase on a charge card. Use this to leverage satisfaction from your dealer and Ariens. I would absolutely not pay the charge bill until you have received an excellent working unit. Isn't the gas cap leaking a known issue? This is crazy, here you have good money paid for stuff like this, urgggg!!!! Isn't there someone else on the forum with a new SHO that has a leaking cap and a tiny fuel tank? The Ariens 24" SHO used to be on my stretch to buy love to own list, but I'd have to re-power it with a Briggs & Stratton so I could get a good engine.
Hi Zavie,

I did purchase it with a charge card, and they are already aware of the situation. As for the gas cap leaking, I've done some browsing around, and it seems like others are having similar issues as well. In addition, I've found some other reviews with similar issues with the unit not being able to move.
post #9 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 09:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vento View Post
In addition, I've found some other reviews with similar issues with the unit not being able to move.
Welcome to the forums Vento, would it be possible to give us the links to those reviews as we might get more insight to this problem. Thanks
Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #10 of 143 Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
Boy. Ariens really seems to be taking it on the chin. I'd seriously think twice before buying a new Ariens. Maybe it's because ther are so many of them but this forum seems to be rife with complaints. I dunno....

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page