LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
926103 13 HP high revving under load

On a couple of occasions (very infrequently overall) I've noticed under heavy load my ariens will start revving high. I haven't been able to isolate the problem as it was happening because I've brought in the machine each time, l shut it down for 30 minutes, then would be back to normal after I re-start it. It normally runs great, idles normally, starts right up etc. I'm looking for possible causes to look out for. It has a 13 HP tecumseh ohsk 80-130

Thanks

Last edited by bleexblox; 02-16-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Welcome to SBF bleexblox!

It's usually the opposite problem under load when an engine starts going beyond it's prime.

Has anyone monkeyed with the governor arm recently? Sometimes folks will adjust the governor arm "by ear"...and when the engine isn't yet at operating temperatures. Then when the engine warms, it's overcompensating the throttle when the cam slows from load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 10:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
We don't have an OHV service manual posted on the site yet.

I found one with a quick google search.

Page-23 (it's the same procedure as an L-head engine):
Quote:

GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT
With the engine stopped, loosen the screw holding the governor lever to the governor shaft clamp. Push the
governor lever to move the carburetor throttle plate to the wide open position. Rotate the governor clamp
counterclockwise on all overhead valve engines covered in this manual. Hold the lever and clamp in this
position while tightening the screw (diag. 2).

I strongly recommend having a tachometer for doing any governor adjustments...it would be nice to have mounted permanently; I have a

on all of my engines.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks bleexblox thanked for this post
post #4 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No, I've seen dannyboy's ( i think that's his name) videos to see what "normal" linkages look like and all appear normal. Odd because it runs great 90% of the time. I'll tweak the governor as you pointed out. For what it's worth the governor arm position looks stock to me, slight angle toward the carb side

Great forum glad to be here..
post #5 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleexblox View Post
No, I've seen dannyboy's ( i think that's his name) videos to see what "normal" linkages look like and all appear normal. Odd because it runs great 90% of the time. I'll tweak the governor as you pointed out. For what it's worth the governor arm position looks stock to me, slight angle toward the carb side

Great forum glad to be here..
I love doneboy videos...except that one. doneboy is the MAN for fixing anything with a combustion engine... however moving the governor arm to adjust RPMs is asking for a hole in the side of your block.

This forum is unbelievable!

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

post #6 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 10:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 247
Thanks (Received): 287
Likes (Given): 2894
Likes (Received): 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
We don't have an OHV service manual posted on the site yet.
Here is a link to the Tecumseh OHV manual if anyone needs it. Maybe one of the moderators could make it a sticky.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...alvemanual.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro 421-E (38585) 2008 (New Owner)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks bleexblox thanked for this post
post #7 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
If it works fine most of the time don't mess with it. My guess is your linkages are getting gummed up from dirt and grime or frozen with ice. When you run into deep snow the governor opens the throttle to give it more power, but when you clear the heavy load the return springs are not pulling the throttle back down.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
If it works fine most of the time don't mess with it. My guess is your linkages are getting gummed up from dirt and grime or frozen with ice. When you run into deep snow the governor opens the throttle to give it more power, but when you clear the heavy load the return springs are not pulling the throttle back down.
Good point there Shyrp!

Maybe it just needs a little MMO on the throttle assy / spring?
post #9 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Good thought, it could definitely be the reason because the couple of times I ran into this situation I was going through large drifts at the end of the driveway. Snow could have definitely made it in there.

So based on your theory the max engine speed can go beyond what I would normally experience with the throttle lever wide open if snow, gunk etc. were to get into the linkages? I ask because when it over revved it was definitely revving beyond what I normally hear at idle with the throttle lever at max.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
There is no such thing as a 932106 and I'd doubt you'd want a 13hp compact
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page