LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 932006 won't start.

Hi, I'm Phil... Bought a used Arien's 932006 with electric start the other day for next to nothing... it is in great shape with one exception, it won't start. It seems to want to start. I can smell gas... i removed the cover over the carb and it is in need of some TLC but seems to be supplying fuel. When i removed the spark plug to check for spark the plug was pretty wet. The spark seems to be erratic meaning i don't think it's getting a consistent spark.

Any thoughts on where to look next would be greatly appreciated. I would love to get this going before the next snowfall hits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 01:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanbeveren View Post
Hi, I'm Phil... Bought a used Arien's 932006 with electric start the other day for next to nothing... it is in great shape with one exception, it won't start. It seems to want to start. I can smell gas... i removed the cover over the carb and it is in need of some TLC but seems to be supplying fuel. When i removed the spark plug to check for spark the plug was pretty wet. The spark seems to be erratic meaning i don't think it's getting a consistent spark.
I would change the spark plug with NGK and if the same then might be the ignition coil under hand starting crank. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
I would change the spark plug with NGK and if the same then might be the ignition coil under hand starting crank. Good Luck
Thanks for quick reply, is there a way to test the coil to see if it is working properly?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Received): 51
Pull your plug out and lay it on the head, connected to the plug wire and pull the starter. And look for spark. Their are spark testers, also. But as Normex stated, try a new plug, first. If that's not it. Remove the blower housing and check the airgap of the coil to the flywheel (use a business card for setting the gap). A rusty flywheel could cause some issue's, also.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #5 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the information, warming up the shop now so i can check it out...

thanks again.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 04:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
Use new plug , if you have spark, you may want to try ether just to see if it pops...If it does pop, then buy a $20 china carb off of Ebay and use that for testing. I'd say 95% of problems trace back to the carb and ethanol fuel on blowers that have sat over a month. If it runs good with the china carb then use carb dip, make sure there are no rubber parts left on the carb body before you dip, run wire through all the passages. You might be able to bring back a dead adjustable carb in this manner. It is also important to make sure the fuel path is completely free of debris, check tank and lines.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the help guys, seems it was just a bad spark plug... started right up with a new one. Now to the next problem, the auger doesn't turn when the clutch is engaged(disengaged). Haven't really looked at it yet but seems the cable isn't doing anything when i hold the lever down. Linkages seem a little sloppy.

thoughts?

Phil
post #8 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
You have to pull the belt cover and you should see the brake release and the idler moving closet to the auger pulley and sheave. That being said I've had problems on the ST504 with belts being too tight, It ended up being corrosion and debris on the inside of the belt mating surfaces of the auger pulley, so check that as well, and check to see if you have the right belt size and a clean sheave.
Check to make sure your gearbox isn't locked up, separate the bucket from the tractor and that auger pulley should spin freely by hand. If it doesn't, prepare to change the impeller bearing at minimum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page