LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-18-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
slight problem/popping

i have an ariens 27" snowblower. model 921012 with a b&s 1150 series engine on it. i love this machine. but from day one, brand new in 2009, this engine has had a slight popping coming from the exhaust while the engine is running. it seems that the longer it runs, it pops a little more. at first, i thought it was a lean condition. click the choke closed a little, same problem. changed and gapped the spark plug. same thing. even readjusted the valves, same thing. now i'm thinking maybe a slightly weak valve spring. not really sure though. engine really runs great and the machine throws snow well. can anyone give me any other ideas. the engine is a briggs & stratton 15c134 0128 e8.
thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-18-2015, 05:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Pilot (low) jet may be partially clogged or undersized. That's about all I can think of that would cause it , but some others may know more than I for sure. It's one thing you can check though.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #3 of 28 Old 02-18-2015, 05:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder13 View Post
Pilot (low) jet may be partially clogged or undersized. That's about all I can think of that would cause it , but some others may know more than I for sure. It's one thing you can check though.
Very likely, ethanol in the fuel is notorious for gumming up pilot jets.

1978 Ariens 924032 Teardrop repowered with a 1992 Tec 8 hp.
post #4 of 28 Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
i am going to pull the carb and thoroughly clean it, but, i use 91 octane non-ethanol fuel. i'm really not suspecting the ethanol problem. also, i always drain the carb and fuel tank every year when in storage. i do this on all my equipment.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-18-2015, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I am unfamiliar with that carb, but on mine (honda clone)you can pul the pilot jet without removing the whole carb very easily. You may be able to save yourself some work look into that first ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #6 of 28 Old 02-19-2015, 09:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnteDarvo View Post
i have an ariens 27" snowblower. model 921012 with a b&s 1150 series engine on it. i love this machine. but from day one, brand new in 2009, this engine has had a slight popping coming from the exhaust while the engine is running. it seems that the longer it runs, it pops a little more. at first, i thought it was a lean condition. click the choke closed a little, same problem. changed and gapped the spark plug. same thing. even readjusted the valves, same thing. now i'm thinking maybe a slightly weak valve spring. not really sure though. engine really runs great and the machine throws snow well. can anyone give me any other ideas. the engine is a briggs & stratton 15c134 0128 e8.
thanks for listening.
Greetings! I have the same exact blower and engine. I notice on mine that if i throttle down from full power to idle, mine makes a single big POP. It's been doing it since day one (2009). If I go from full throttle to OFF, it doesn't POP.
I have always run regular unleaded (87). When running at FULL while I'm using it, it makes no POPs though.. It runs great. It's just when i throttle down to idle.

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
post #7 of 28 Old 02-19-2015, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2903
Likes (Received): 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnteDarvo View Post
thanks for listening.
Welcome to the forum AnteDarvo. As others have stated, it could be a lean fuel condition OR the valves are not adjusted correctly. Briggs states that the valves have to be adjusted with the piston 1/4" PAST top dead center. The procedure is near the bottom of this page. If you did it this way, disregard my suggestion and concentrate on the carb. I hope this helps.

Engine Valve Maintenance & Repair | Briggs FAQ

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-19-2015, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco-diablo View Post
Greetings! I have the same exact blower and engine. I notice on mine that if i throttle down from full power to idle, mine makes a single big POP. It's been doing it since day one (2009). If I go from full throttle to OFF, it doesn't POP.
I have always run regular unleaded (87). When running at FULL while I'm using it, it makes no POPs though.. It runs great. It's just when i throttle down to idle.

Open up the idle jet a little. It's that way because of EPA standards they want it to run a little lean. You get rid of the pops and increase your performance slightly because even the idle jet fuel mixes with main jet fuel and you gain a slight bit on top end torque. Not sure how much you will notice if at all, but it will throttle up and down smoother and no pops, and possible idle smoother with a slight increase in pilot jet size. Clean that spark plug too make sure the gap it at the right amount.

That said, must be done carefully with micro drills in a pin vice, you just gingerly twist the jet into the drill one size at a time after you figure out where you are to start.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, just leave it alone, a little pop won't hurt anything. It's just a little annoying when you know the cause and know how to fix it.

05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #9 of 28 Old 02-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
I picked one up on ebay. You can also buy bigger jets but having a couple machines I figured it was cheaper for me to get the drill bits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill bits micro.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	42937  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #10 of 28 Old 02-19-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
mine pops too while shutting the engine down. i believe they call that after-pop.
if i bring the engine down to idle and run it there for 10-15 seconds and then just shut it off, no pop. idling it down for those few seconds before shutting down allows the engine to clear itself of excess fuel.
i do have precision drills and pin vises for carb work. i've done alot of drilling on rochester q-jet's. too bad we don't have our precious adjustments anymore.
fixed carb settings. what a joke. maybe i will try to open the jet slightly, listen to the engine and watch the spark plug.
i do miss our main metering and idle adjustments though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page