LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-18-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Module T

I have a 1978 Model 924032 that I bought used many years ago. I put on a new Tecumseh engine a few years ago that I picked up on ebay. Works great! It has saved my a** this year here in eastern MA. Started having intermittent trouble with the interlock switch or wiring - haven't figured out what yet so I just bypassed it for now because it won't stop snowing here. While looking at the interlock switch I spotted a module nearby and the parts list refers to it as Module T. I see it for sale here and there when I googled it but can't find out what it's there for. Can anyone explain it's purpose/function? Thanks, I just joined the forum and hope someone can enlighten me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Thanks for joining and brining your question to us. I'm sure somebody with knowledge about Ariens equipment will be along shortly to answer it.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-19-2015, 05:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
IT is a DEADMAN KILL SWITCH.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 17 Old 02-19-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, but it's actually next to the deadman kill switch. Still trying to find out what it does and how it works. Many tractors have a somewhat similar looking module that delays the "kill" on seat bounce to differentiate between just a seat bounce and someone actually falling off the tractor. However, none of that seems relevant to a snowblower so I still wonder what this module is for.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Cut and pasted from elsewhere:

I am sending a diagram,Locate safety module (#180 in pic).That is the safety interlock and they go bad.I will give two options.First,you could try to find the part and replace it,I am Not 100% sure yet. The second is much easier and requires you to cut the "RED" wire only.Cut it in the middle so it could be easily repaired.If you cut the red wire and you now have spark then the module is bad.NONE of the safety features incorporated on the machine will function.If you slip and fall while it is locked in gear it will keep going instead of shutting off.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 09-28-2015 at 09:33 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-20-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Kiss 4 a Frog, but I already had that info from googling. Usually you can find just about anything you need on the internet but this one really has me stumped. I just can't find anything to state what that module really does, i.e. it's function and how it works. You're right though I'm not spending that kind of money for it anyway. Also, that "cut and paste" from elsewhere isn't exactly correct. The machine will not continue to move with that feature bypassed. The clutch is manual. With the safety switch bypassed the augur continues to run even though you've released the handle on the right side. Usually the auger stops when releasing the handle control. Still hoping someone might know the history on the module but the machine is getting old (1978) so there probably aren't too many of us old folks left that would know or even be interested.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-20-2015, 04:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 172
Likes (Received): 28
Is Module T a rectifier for converting the Tecumseh AC output to DC?
post #8 of 17 Old 02-20-2015, 12:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 3
looking at the wiring diagram, I'd say it's a capacitor setup that allows the motor to run without grounding out the magneto. If the interlock switch was just a ground interrupt that killed the motor when it wasn't engaged, then the motor wouldn't run unless the interlock was on regardless if the auger was engaged or not, however, you don't want that condition if the auger's not engaged, so possibly it senses feedback from the magneto wire telling it if the auger is engaged or not as to whether or not to ground out the magneto voltage if the interlock isn't depressed.

note: I'm no expert, just an opinion from someone looking at a wiring diagram!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JDR66 thanked for this post
post #9 of 17 Old 02-25-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for your ideas. I think you are onto something here and I will give it some more thought along those lines as soon as I have a chance.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-26-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Of course goto4evr is right when you think about it. You wouldn't want the engine to stop just because you disengaged the auger and let your hand off the lever that actuates the interlock switch. I downloaded the service manual and found a wiring diagram. I haven't figured out yet how it "knows" whether or not the auger is engaged. It is not explained in the manual I guess I'll have to take the bottom shield off and try to see how it actually works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page