AX 414 gas tank - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Western NY
Posts: 38
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
AX 414 gas tank

Hello,

It's been touched on a few different threads here and rather than hijack those threads I figured I'd just start a fresh one dedicated to it. My 2014 Plat30 SHO has the 414 motor with the small trapezoidal tank and there seems to be a few guys with a taller square tank. Just saw some full size pictures of a 2014 28 with the 414 on another thread with the square tank. I started doing some web searches and found the pdf manuals for a Gen II AX414 manual stating it's pre-2014 and then the pdf for the Gen III AX414 stating it's 2014+ unfortunately the manuals use the same generic picture for the gas tank setup so no help there but the Ariens website has a bullet point list of the Gen III changes for 2014 and reference a new "low profile" design. So in the other member's case, it looks like his 2014 28" blower is sporting a 2013 motor on it that maybe the factory was using up the last of the Gen II motors before changing to the new design. Based on the placement of the oil fill tube between the two different tanks designs, I don't think I can swap tanks. Does anyone out there happen to have both styles at hand to physically look at, or post some detailed pictures of the square tank and oil neck areas? From the square tank picture, that oil fill neck is on the right side of the motor, mine has the neck coming from the middle of the motor so unless the square tank has a narrower footprint, I don't think it'll clear the neck on mine. I can't get over having the gas supply as such a problem 50 years after they started making snow blowers! That'd be like buying my brand new F350 pickup truck for hauling across the country and finding out it has a 4 gallon gas tank!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ariens 414.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	42953  
gto4evr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Spencer MA
Posts: 346
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 85
I would think that you could get the bigger tank on there, though you'd have to buy a few other parts to make the configuration amenable to that. You might also have to get the oil fill tube, perhaps some sheet metal covers, etc. Sounds like you'd also have to get a different muffler.

I can take some detailed photos of my machines for you if that will help, just have to wait until the weekend for me to have time.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)

Last edited by PixMan; 02-19-2015 at 04:15 PM.
PixMan is offline  
post #3 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 27
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Are you sure the older version is even any larger or just different shaped? In Ariens sales sheets both the Gen II and III claim a 2+ hour runtime. Its not that bad is it? I am not sure how long mine runs but, it doesnt seem that bad unless it is a really heavy snowfall. I guess a larger one wouldnt be bad though. On the plus side, the Gen III has other improvements which still make it the desired motor to have of the two imo.
Tachead is offline  
post #4 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Zavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,147
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 415
Likes (Received): 191
This is why my "Dream" Ariens 24" SHO would have the 420cc Briggs and Stratton. Oh BTW it does have a nice 3 liter fuel tank. Guess I will have to
re-power my new SHO, (if I ever get lucky enough to have one) when I get it.
Zavie is online now  
post #5 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 04:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 27
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
This is why my "Dream" Ariens 24" SHO would have the 420cc Briggs and Stratton. Oh BTW it does have a nice 3 liter fuel tank. Guess I will have to
re-power my new SHO, (if I ever get lucky enough to have one) when I get it.
Despite having what some say is a bit of a small fuel tank(its not that bad imo), the Gen III AX414 engine is a better quality engine then the 420cc Briggs for a number of reasons. I dont think a larger fuel tank and one more foot pound of torque is worth switching to a less reliable engine with a much shorter lifespan. Just something to think about. Briggs arent what they used to be man. I think an aux tank or just sucking it up and filling more often is a better option.

Last edited by Tachead; 02-19-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Tachead is offline  
post #6 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
Despite having what some say is a bit of a small fuel tank(its not that bad imo), the Gen III AX414 engine is a better quality engine then the 420cc Briggs for a number of reasons. I dont think a larger fuel tank and one more foot pound of torque is worth switching to a less reliable engine with a much shorter lifespan. Just something to think about. Briggs arent what they used to be man. I think an aux tank or just sucking it up and filling more often is a better option.
i have a hydro pro 28 with the 420cc 21ft pounds tourque 14hp the thing is a beast im in boston and its saved my ass. the motor is smooth and starts on the first pull every time.
cparise is offline  
post #7 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Zavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,147
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 415
Likes (Received): 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparise View Post
i have a hydro pro 28 with the 420cc 21ft pounds tourque 14hp the thing is a beast im in boston and its saved my ass. the motor is smooth and starts on the first pull every time.
I know this motor rocks as I've seen it in action also. It's good to know that the
the AX414 is good a engine too. It will be worth something when I tear it off and sell it and put the 420cc on.
Zavie is online now  
post #8 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Spencer MA
Posts: 346
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
I know this motor rocks as I've seen it in action also. It's good to know that the
the AX414 is good a engine too. It will be worth something when I tear it off and sell it and put the 420cc on.
And according a lot of reading I've done about lifespan of the two engines it appears you may have wished to keep the LCT 414 for after 150 hours or so of run time on the B&S.

I'll take my chances with the sacrifice of 6cc of displacement and 5% less torque if it'll last more than twice as long. Some estimates are more like 5 times the life.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
PixMan is offline  
post #9 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: mwv nh
Posts: 23
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
Are you sure the older version is even any larger or just different shaped? In Ariens sales sheets both the Gen II and III claim a 2+ hour runtime. Its not that bad is it? I am not sure how long mine runs but, it doesnt seem that bad unless it is a really heavy snowfall. I guess a larger one wouldnt be bad though. On the plus side, the Gen III has other improvements which still make it the desired motor to have of the two imo.
takes me 4 hrs to clean the yard..and 2 tanks of fuel..I also clear about 8'000 sq ft...used a little more when the machine was new..but its at 2 tanks now..25 hrs on the machine..I really don't think that's so bad...after all when I bought the machine I wasn't shopping for a Prius..mine has a low profile tank

Ariens 921040 30 inch SHO
buddman is offline  
post #10 of 46 Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: mwv nh
Posts: 23
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 5
this machine also gives a fair amount of warning when it's getting thirsty I can tell 5 minutes before it runs out..I usually make sure I end up back at the gas can..let the motor cool a little while I clean and move the cars..fill'er up and finish the job

Ariens 921040 30 inch SHO
buddman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome