LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Looking at Ariens ST1236.

Hello, I found an Ariens ST1236 snow blower for sale. It looks to be in great shape, so I called the guy, and he said that it was only used 3-4 times. Says he it too old to use it, and has a friend plow his driveway. He said the carb needs a cleaning, because it starts, than stalls out. He is asking $350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Could be as old as 1992 (just so you're aware, but serial number and proper model number needed).

Before buying another used snowblower I would consider borrowing a compression tester to make sure it's OK. I would also unplug the spark plug and try to move the augers by hand (a full test would be to actually spin the impeller until the augers make a 360 degree rotation, stopping periodically to see if the augers move by hand). The augers should never spin freely by hand.

I ended up needing a full auger gear box rebuild before the first season's use and I overpaid drastically considering the cost of parts necessary. Now I know for next time! I got lucky that the engine worked ok, but it didn't stall out during the test drive.

For any used machine you should be prepared to change the oil, gas and spark plug and do a complete carb rebuild (lots of helpful vids on youtube). Belts should be checked for proper tension as well.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 03:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilzlofgren View Post
Hello, I found an Ariens ST1236 snow blower for sale. It looks to be in great shape, so I called the guy, and he said that it was only used 3-4 times. Says he it too old to use it, and has a friend plow his driveway. He said the carb needs a cleaning, because it starts, than stalls out. He is asking $350.
Pardon my skepticism but did you see pics or the unit itself?
With 3 or 4 times used there should be very minimal rust on it.
This is a big snow blower meant for a big laneway which requires some manhandling, I'm just pointing out a few facts to ponder for this fine unit. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
the ST1236 is indeed a beast for sure.. almost too big for residential IMO. Consider any narrow spaces or tight turns where you plan on using it. this will require manhandling for sure!

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
post #5 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 769
I would be skeptical of the "used 3 or 4 times" claim..maybe he himself used it 3 or 4 times! but its unlikely it was only used 3 or 4 times total..if its actually called a ST1236, then its 15 to 25 years old.

If its in good shape, $350 could be a decent price for such a machine however, depending on three factors:

1. How old is it, really.
2. What kind of condition is it in.
3. And most importantly, as others have said, do really need such a monster of a machine?

Where do you live? What are your winters like? And how much space do you have to clear?

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here are the pictures I took.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1424484923375.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	43121   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1424484983770.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	43129  
post #7 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Definitely an older model. Used more that 4 times. Look at all the paint worn off of the chute and stuff.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Even if its been used more than that, $350 seems like a good price if its in decent condition. Do these snow blowers have a good reputation?
post #9 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 769
Its been used at least an average amount of times..
10 times a year for 10 years = used 100 times.
10 times a year for 20 years = used 200 times.

hard to know for sure, but clearly waaaaaayyyyyy more than 4 times!

Condition also looks average for its age, not great, not bad.

without some Ariens or Tecumseh tag numbers, its hard to get a fix on its age.
Ariens made several 1236 models in the 924000 series:

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Seven different 1236 models between 1988 and about 2004.

Based on the graphics and the style of the dash panel, this is probably an early to mid 1990's machine, about 20 years old..
if you could get the numbers from the tags, snowblower and engine, we could nail it down to an exact year.

One might think, when it comes to snowblowers, "the bigger it is, the more expensive/valuable it is"..but that really only applies to *new* snowblowers..Once they hit that 15 to 20 year old mark, exact age has little importance..a 40 year old Ariens can be worth the same, or even more, than a 20 year old Ariens of similar specs, depending totally on condition and previous owner care.

And, for older machines, being at the top of snowblower food chain, in terms of size and power, can be a distinct disadvantage! for many buyers and many regions, because the machine is simply far too big for their needs.. the massive size can make it *less* valuable than smaller machines of similar vintage, because demand for the monster machines is lower in all areas except those regions with greater than average snowfall amounts..

So! $350? not bad..probably a bit high, unless you live near one of the large east coast cities.
(it would be very helpful if you would tell us where you live! just a city and state is fine..)
$250 is probably good if everything works..and again, only if you really need the size! If you live in Virginia, you really dont want this machine..It will not do well in 2-inches of slush. this is a machine for 1, 2 and 3 foot snowfalls, and several of them every winter.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 02-20-2015 at 10:15 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-20-2015, 10:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilzlofgren View Post
Even if its been used more than that, $350 seems like a good price if its in decent condition. Do these snow blowers have a good reputation?
If you ask anyone reading this thread, this sale is off to a bad start with a much less than honest person trying his best to have a quick sale. As Sscotman mentions it would be ok with a $250.00 asking price provided it is working but it does not, starting with carb problems and there are many other variables like if you remove the shear pin from one side of the auger and if it turns unimpeded if not then another problem saying that the unit may have been run with less than optimum care. Not trying to discourage you from it but being realistic. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page