post #1 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 31
New Tec carb or Predator?

Guys I need opinions,

I got my ST824 working awesome but the engine has been having hiccups.

I typically feel I'm good with carbs but this one has been nothing but problems even before the machine was mine. I bought a knock-off carb from Amazon and hated it so I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt the original.

Engine runs good, and then turns to crap, then good for a while, then crap. I can't tell of the float is hanging up, or what's going on. I did quite a bit with it today and it ran good for quite a while then had problems, then cleared up and then even worse than before.

At this point after spending as much time as I have getting the Ariens back to like new condition I need a reliable engine. The way I see it, since I didn't like the cheap new carb and I'm having issues with the original even after multiple attempts I have two options.

New Tecumseh carb for around $100.
New Predator engine for $240ish.

As far as I know, the Tecumseh is in good shape, although I'm also fighting with getting the governor working good. It runs at a good rpm without a load, but drops more than I feel it should under load.

Machine is a late 90s vintage.

What would you do? Buy the carb and hope for the best, or just spring for a whole new engine? I need this machine to be reliable when I need it, luckily it did the job today but one of these times it's going to leave me stranded.

I'd prefer a genuine Honda, but everyone on the forum seems to feel the Predator engines are just as good. Is an 8HP Predator as strong as my 8 HP Tecumseh? Are the Predator's bolt on replacements or are modifications typically needed?

ALL opinions welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 12:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
slap a new carb on that old iron.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ChrisJ liked this post
post #3 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's pictures, just because I think every thread should have them so people know what is being talked about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3190.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	43466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3194.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	43474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3094.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	43482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2907.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	43490  
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 12:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 8
predator...8hp version with 20% off coupon $195...couple new pulleys for the 1" shaft and you are golden with more power than you can imagine.

Current machines-
1978 Bolens 8/24 (Loncin 420cc engine upgrade)
1986 toro powershift 6/24 ( 212cc Predator upgrade)
1988 Simplicity 860 (Predator 301cc upgrade)
1995 Honda HS 621
post #5 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttchet View Post
predator...8hp version with 20% off coupon $195...couple new pulleys for the 1" shaft and you are golden with more power than you can imagine.
Where does the new pulley(s) come from?
Also, any point in going with a 13hp?
post #6 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 12:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
If your engine is really good otherwise I think with a bit more focus on the carb issue you may have it solved. To throw out a perfectly good engine because the cab is bad does not make any sense. right?

Here are a few thoughts.

1. Ask Why is the carb having recurring issues?
a. bad gas/contaminated? Is the inside of the tank clean? Use a bit of sea foam in the fuel. I assume you use stabilizer.
b. Old fuel line that is failing on the inside can be putting particles in the fuel? If so replace it and add a filter.
c. Corrosion in the carb casting. (do you see that white powdery stuff on the inside?)

If either carb has internal corrosion you may be fighting an up hill battle and you may be best to buy a new or good used one. This is due to water in the fuel.

Did you do a complete rebuild that included soaking it overnight in carb cleaner and then blowing it out with air? Did you remove the welch plugs?

Did you replace the float with a new one?

Just some thoughts to get you thinking. I think you can solve the carb issue by correcting the root cause.
A Predator is not a bolt on and go engine on your machine. Just remounting the chute control is a task in itself. It is doable but you are looking at more work than you may think.
Good Luck.

c.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 02-22-2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling and more info
post #7 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
You can get pulleys locally at some hardware stores or places selling go cart parts, farm supply stores like FleetFarm or Tractor Supply or go on line : Snowmobile Parts, Go Kart Parts, Lawnmower Parts, ATV Parts, and more | MFG Supply (just one of many)

Depends on if you share DNA with Tim Taylor as the 13 would surely give you more power but the cheap 6.5 horse one would likely still be close to the 8hp Tech you have now.

6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA

Maybe add a jet kit to it: Jet kit for Honda Clone engines

Just depends on how much money you have to play with. Nothing wrong with going with a bigger engine but in the "real" world I think that 13 horse might be more than you'd really ever get a benefit out of on a 24" blower (other than bragging rights ).

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro-8-2-4 View Post
If you engine is really good otherwise I think with a bit more focus on the carb issue you may have it solved. To throw out a perfectly good engine because the cab is bad does not make any sense. right?

Here are a few thoughts.

1. Ask Why is the carb having issues?
a. bad gas/contaminated? Is the inside of the tank clean? Use a bit of sea foam in the fuel. I assume you use stabilizer.
b. Old gas line that is falling on the inside can putting particles in the fuel? If so replace it and add a filter.
c. Corrosion in the carb casting. (do you see that white powdery stuff on the inside?)

If either carb has internal corrosion you may be fighting an up hill battle and you may be best to buy a new or good used one.

Did you do a complete rebuild that included soaking it overnight in carb cleaner and then blowing it out with air? Did you remove the welch plugs?

Did you replace the float with a new one?

Just some thoughts to get you thinking. I think you can solve the carb issue.
A Predator is not a bolt on and go engine on your machine. It is doable but you are looking at more work than you may think.
Good Luck.

c.

That's something I've been wondering. I do know the rod for turning the chute would need to be anchored ot something which is an obvious right away, but I have no idea what else is involved.

Basically, this machine was my boss' and was neglected for years until it ended up in pieces and sat for who knows how long like that. I put it back together for him and got it running the best I could in a short time. At that time, the carb was full of mud I had to scrape out using picks and what not. After a while a spring broke and some other things so the machine was left to sit again.

Fast forward 3 years and it's mine. I went through the entire machine, replacing what needed to be replaced, or was missing. The carb has been apart many times but I avoided the welch plugs and did not soak it.

There was some corrosion in it but I did my best getting rid of it. Right now I'd swear the float is either hanging up, or leaking and I replaced the needle and seat. Float it self is good and leak free

Fuel in machine is new as of 2 or 3 months ago, stored in a heated area and I drain the carb after each use.

What's annoying is, I'll go to work on it and it runs beautiful, I can't even troubleshoot it. Then, it'll start, run beautiful for a while in use, and then start having problems. Then, they go away again.

I hate intermittent problems!

I 100% agree, ditching an entire engine because of a carb issue is dumb. But, when the entire engine is only twice the cost of a carb, it becomes tempting. What I don't know is the quality of those engines, and what's involved in switching over. From what you said, it's going to be a pain.

I should mention, when it's not having it's fits, the machine runs awesome under extreme load to the point of almost stalling (wet, wet snow) as well as idling. It runs absolutely perfect.

Last edited by ChrisJ; 02-22-2015 at 01:01 PM.
post #9 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 01:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Hey there ChrisJ!

A carb issue is hardly enough justification to toss what may be a perfectly good engine.

When you rebuilt the carb, was the carb body thoroughly cleaned? Have you checked compression and spark when its barfing?

"Running like crap" can mean alot of things. Compression (valves, head gasket), spark, fuel delivery, bowl venting, tank venting...the list goes on. In the time that it would take to slap on a predator, you can pull the head, reseat the valves, adjust valve clearances, soak/rebuild the carb and decarb the block/head for minimal cabbage...and its fun!

If you go the repower route, alot of guys here to walk you through it.
post #10 of 58 Old 02-22-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Hey there ChrisJ!

A carb issue is hardly enough justification to toss what may be a perfectly good engine.

When you rebuilt the carb, was the carb body thoroughly cleaned? Have you checked compression and spark when its barfing?

"Running like crap" can mean alot of things. Compression (valves, head gasket), spark, fuel delivery, bowl venting, tank venting...the list goes on. In the time that it would take to slap on a predator, you can pull the head, reseat the valves, adjust valve clearances, soak/rebuild the carb and decarb the block/head for minimal cabbage...and its fun!

If you go the repower route, alot of guys here to walk you through it.
Haven't checking anything. I'm slacking right now.
Running like crap, meaning severe hunting mainly when not under load. Under load it smooths out, except for when it get's really bad like it was before I shut it down. Partial choke didn't seem to help. Though, when I shut the fuel off with it running before putting it away it seemed to smooth out after a bit before it got worse due to lack of fuel.

This is why I started thinking the float is hanging up or leaking. Kind of like the bowl is overfilling.

Last edited by ChrisJ; 02-22-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page