LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Is bigger better?

Just joined the forum and this is my first post. Researching to make a snow blower purchase. While lurking on this site it became clear that I could not go wrong if I purchased an Ariens product. My search has narrowed to the 28" deluxe (Model #921030) which the Borg store sells for 1K. If I sign up for a credit card I get 10% off. My other choice is the 24" Platinum (Model #921028) which is only sold online for $1,400.00. No credit card discount for online purchases.

While I can afford the 24" model (Not really!) and the size is more to my needs the 28" model for $900.00 minus a few bells and whistles seems like a better deal.

So the question is: Is the Platinum model that much better for the additional $500.00? Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Matt B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 144
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 379
Likes (Received): 927
You're original question "Is bigger better?"

How much driveway do you have? How long? How
wide? My driveway is roughly 30'-40' long and only one car wide and no EOD problems. I'm counting on myToro Power Clear 21" to do the bulk of my labor. Anhthing that mey require something more, I have two 20" two stage blowers and just as soon as I figger out which oneI'm keeping the other one will be sold. Just my very humble opinion but I'd much rather spend more time working a small blower than fighting with a too large blower.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My driveway and road front is about 100' long one car wide with end of driveway issues. Since I'm near the coast the snow falls tend to be wet snow types.
post #4 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 781
How much snow do you get a time?
If you almost never get more than a foot, and most of your snow is in the 1" to 6" range, and nearly always heavy wet snow, you might be better served by a larger single-stage.

Let us know what your winters and snowfalls look like, that will also be a very import factor in what type of snowblower is best for you..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Most snowfalls are in the 1-8" range. We do get the major Noreasters that dump 2' or more. December 26, 2011 we got 32" at my house. I know that amount is uncommon but I would prefer to have a machine that could be used over a wide range of snow depths. Hope this helps and thanks for the replys.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 781
Well, considering it's not unusual to get 2-foot or more, you should definitely stick to a 2-stage then..you want a snowblower that can handle the big storms, when they come.

There isnt a huge difference between 24 and 28", as far as the width is concerned.
that isnt a meaningful difference IMO..
In this case, with the two machines you described, I would definitely go with the 28" deluxe for $900..that seems like the better deal to me..

The only major difference I can see between the Deluxe and Platinum models is that the Platinum has hand warmers, a larger engine, and (I think) an electric chute control..

The only one of those things that are meaningful, to me, is the larger engine..
more powerful engine is always good..
but.. the "smaller" engine on the Deluxe should still be perfectly fine..
I dont care about hand warmers..and I would actually prefer the manual chute crank..an electric chute crank is just one more thing to go wrong..and seriously, how hard is it to turn a crank?

So, the extra features of the platinum would definitely not be worth the extra $500 to me..I would definitely go for the 28" deluxe..

Scot

post #7 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey Scot thanks for the input. I do believe my mind is made up. I'll get the 28" and keep my money.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 13
I took a good long time deciding what I wanted to buy (almost a year) and came to the same conclusion. The 28 Deluxe was perfect for me as I did not need or particularly want the extras that came with the Platinum, at least not for the price. I also prefer the manual crank for the chute, one last thing to fail.

I live on the Lake Erie shore in "Lake effect" country and the 28 does fine with that and the wet and heavy mix we always get.
post #9 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 04:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 68
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB33 View Post
I took a good long time deciding what I wanted to buy (almost a year) and came to the same conclusion. The 28 Deluxe was perfect for me as I did not need or particularly want the extras that came with the Platinum, at least not for the price. I also prefer the manual crank for the chute, one last thing to fail.

I live on the Lake Erie shore in "Lake effect" country and the 28 does fine with that and the wet and heavy mix we always get.
Any decent two stage with a 7hp or more hp engine and 21 inch opening on the bucket should be able to handle that type of snowfall. Bigger is not always better if your driveway is small or you have limited space to store the blower or if you do not like to or lack the strength of dealing with a beast of a blower. I would say a 26 inch will pretty much do anyone's driveway and unless you really need the 30+ inch models don't get them that large but be warned they are heavy and can beat you up even if your a fit man and most women will not like using them at all.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Just to clear things up a little.
Deluxe 28 has 254 cc
15" wheels
Hand warmers optional
Clears 28" at a time

Platinum 24 has 291 cc
16" wheels
Hand warmers included.
Clears 24" at a time.

Neither machine has an electric chute control.
Both machines have the auto-turn steering (a must have IMHO)

Not much difference other than that.

Cheers
Larry

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page