LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Leaky gas gap on new machine

I just bought a new 30 inch deluxe ariens machine last week. I noticed that it leaks a lot of gas out of the gap. This is a very poorly designed tank, I would guess made in china from stamped metal, the cheapest way to make a tank like this. I contacted the dealer who told me he will take care of it soon. So without waiting I contacted ariens, and they said they would send me a new gas cap, still waiting for it. I have decid3d to try to contact the consumer protection agency here in Canada. Well no one answers the phone there so now I have to write a letter stating the problem. I told the ariens people gas leaking from a tank only 5 inches away is downright dangerous, the machine is a fire hazard, they said they will send you a new gas cap. I do not think the cap will work as the design of the tank is at fault.
Should I return it to the store and ask for a refund if the new cap does not stop the leaking problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-27-2015, 10:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Welcome to the forum Plow. I can tell your clearly frustrated with this.

Ariens does have a gas cap issue. There is a new gas cap design with a screen insert. I tried finding that thread, but had no luck.

Here is what I recommend you do.

There is an Ariens Employee by the name of Mary Lyn on this forum. She is a huge asset for us and has aided in bailing a lot's of us out. Send here a private message with your name, address, model number ans serial number and she will get you taken care of.

If you cannot find her on the forum, she goes by ariens company, click my profile, and to the right in the "friends" box will be ariens company. Click that and you will get their detail. Just below their name will be a "send message" button, Click that then click send private message.

With all the snow that has hit the north east, Areins my be a little backed up in helping to resolve situations quickly. (yes I understand this is a safety issue) For now, if your concerned, try taking half the fuel out of the tank, and see if that stops the leaking.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #3 of 7 Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Welcome to the forum, from another newbie! There's a few recent threads on here concerning this. The new cap they're sending you will fix the issue. It has a thicker rubber gasket that snugs the cap much tighter. Almost too tight -- I'm waiting to see how long before the rubber relaxes enough to allow it to leak again. I just went through this with my new machine as well. the screen and insert that will come with the cap update kit are identical to what's already on your machine so those you can either swap or leave the originals in.

We should start up our own company making replacement larger and better designed tanks, we'd probably make a killing on it until we got sued by someone for swapping it incorrectly and voiding their warranty along with it bursting into flames and burning their house down!
post #4 of 7 Old 02-27-2015, 11:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
While I understand it's a good more than capable engine, why do they put that small cheap tin tank on there? That was the first thing that caught my attention when I first saw an AX powered machine. It's not very functional.. Rust may be in issue as well down the road.

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)

Last edited by Loco-diablo; 02-28-2015 at 12:34 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 85
Gee, I don't think the fuel tanks on mine are bad at all, and I must have the "new and improved" gas caps on both.

These are powder coated tanks, so rust from the inside is the only possibility and I can't see why one of these newer ones would any different from an older one. These machines get handed down to other generations.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2015, 09:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 19
The gas tank on my LCT engine is an embarrassment. I wish I paid more attention to the capacity before I bought the Platinum 30. The recall kit will fix the leaking, but actually make the capacity problem worse if you use the insert and screen and fill it to the red full line. I only used the cap myself and the leaking I get is very minor. These residential grade machines must be made for people who live in the suburbs with smaller driveways. That's why I went wit the Pro machine next.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2015, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 395
Likes (Received): 183
So being the stamped metal tank does that mean it has the larger capacity of the tanks offered on the LCT's?

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page