LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-28-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Need help changing friction disk

Guys, unlike some of the newer designs where the hex shaft is open on one end, my 1965 is encapsulated on both ends. I don't see an easy way out. Does the entire tranny needs to be taken out? Any tips or tricks?

-Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 John Deere 1330se

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 19
Yep, at least as I remember from last summer. The instructions in the manual were pretty descriptive, at least enough that I was able to follow and get it done. I don't have the instructioni me at the moment. I also remember getting my finger caught between two of the metal pieces....that hurt! I followed the instructions in the manual and was able to get it done as a first-timer, so you'll be able to do it.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WestminsterFJR thanked for this post
post #3 of 13 Old 02-28-2015, 11:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hi, I just replaced the disc on my '65. Was worn almost as much as yours looks, but the new one barely made a difference. I've haven't posted a question on what do next, if anything... But, to get it out, you'll need to disconnect all the linkages and the "top" throw-out bearing rod/pin. The big problem I had was trying to remove the pin that runs through the pivot tube. There's a cotter pin you pull out, but mine was severely rusted to the tube and especially the ~2" long spacer on the right side. This is supposed to slide out and let you pull the disc bracket out. I couldn't get mine out and pulled the chain off, removed the gear bolts so they had just enough play to wrestle the disc bracket out. Royal pain! I didn't think I'd get it all back in, but I did.. with no extra parts left either. That's just a quick recap of what I can remember. I took pictures along the way and can post one or two if it helps. Good luck!

1965 Ariens 10M6D - The Beast of Brillion

"Kill switches... what??"
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WestminsterFJR thanked for this post
post #4 of 13 Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks for the fast replies. I got the unit out and the friction disk replace. However, when I was taking it out, i did not pay attention to how the spring is attached. can someone direct me where the spring hooks on to?

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #5 of 13 Old 02-28-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I took a look at one of my other machines and figured out where the spring latches to. A bit more work than I expected, but she's all buttoned up and as good as new.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #6 of 13 Old 02-28-2015, 07:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
That springs looks a little rough. There was a thread a few days about replacement. just sayin
post #7 of 13 Old 03-01-2015, 04:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 6
no time for that now its gonna snow again sunday night lol

2014 ariens deluxe 28+

post #8 of 13 Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
Hey Ken,
What was Ariens thinking when they designed that drive system replacement procedure?
That the original would last 50 years give or take....that's what. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes buddman liked this post
post #9 of 13 Old 03-01-2015, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
That springs looks a little rough. There was a thread a few days about replacement. just sayin
good point. I'll look into getting a few spares.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #10 of 13 Old 03-01-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
no time for that now its gonna snow again sunday night lol
that was my thought exactly, getting it ready for tonight's snow.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page