LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-02-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Drive question on my old Ariens

Hoping to tap the collective knowledge here. This winter I picked up a 1973/74 Ariens 8/24 that needs a little TLC and a tune up. I bought a carb kit for it, starter and plan to dig into it once the winter is over. There is one issue that does keep cropping up every time I take it out to clear my driveway: Moving along in any of the forward gears, if the machine loses momentum because the scraper blade momentarily hangs up on the apron of my driveway, or if the scoop catches on the frozen snow or curb, the drive wheels lock up. I have to quickly flip the clutch lever open or the engine will stall. When the drive wheels lock, the left-hand drive handle pulls itself against the grip and only releases when I flip the clutch lever. I am assuming, but not 100% sure, that the auger also seizes. Once I disengage the clutch, the drive lever on the handle pops back up and I can once again engage the clutch and continue on my way. This seems to happen more often in the higher gears. If I have the drive in 4th and am just motoring back up my (steep) driveway, the slightest bump, divot, etc. can easily cause the drive to lock in this method. If I'm not fast enough to disengage the clutch lever, the engine will stall - which restarts easily, but it's just a nuisance. Any thoughts on this?

A big hardy THANK YOU!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG153.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	44793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG154.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	44801  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-02-2015, 02:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
Hmm... I've never seen that specific problem but can think of a few things that could cause it.

Most likely I'm thinking is a worn wheel axle and/or bearings causing problems with the drive gears.

Try lifting up on the handles with the machine stationary and the wheels sitting on the ground and try to get an idea how much "slop" there is in the axle - ie how much can you lift up the machine while the wheels remain in contact with the ground.

If it's a lot (like 1/8" or more) the axle bushings and/or the axle itself may be worn.

Otherwise if you're a bit mechanically inclined, tip the machine up (make sure the gas tank is empty or nearly so), take the cover off the bottom where the wheel drive is, and look for any rotating components that seem to have a lot of play in them, or anything else that's badly worn.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-02-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
Hmm... I've never seen that specific problem but can think of a few things that could cause it.

Most likely I'm thinking is a worn wheel axle and/or bearings causing problems with the drive gears.

Try lifting up on the handles with the machine stationary and the wheels sitting on the ground and try to get an idea how much "slop" there is in the axle - ie how much can you lift up the machine while the wheels remain in contact with the ground.

If it's a lot (like 1/8" or more) the axle bushings and/or the axle itself may be worn.

Otherwise if you're a bit mechanically inclined, tip the machine up (make sure the gas tank is empty or nearly so), take the cover off the bottom where the wheel drive is, and look for any rotating components that seem to have a lot of play in them, or anything else that's badly worn.
Thanks ELAW. I do plan on dedicating some time this spring to going through the machine and addressing what needs fixed. I'll check out the axle play first. Thanks for the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page