LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-02-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
oem vs aftermarket

I'm sure this has come up before. I did a search and didn't find much though. (i'm new to this site) I just had a discussion with someone about oem vs aftermarket parts for our power equipment. I told him for certain things like snow-blower belts and oil filters (larger equip) I definitely like to use oem parts.
Personally, I think the engineers of our Ariens or our better built power equipment put alot of thought into these critical parts and these would be the best to use. Obviously, the person I was talking to said he gets parts where he can get them the cheapest. I'm not against using aftermarket parts at all. I just feel better about some of the more critical parts though. would anyone like to weigh in on this subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-02-2015, 06:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 44
Aftermarket belts are fine, as long as they're proper outdoor power equipment belts from say Rotary or Vickers Marketing made specifically for that application. A Gates or Dayco belt just isn't going to cut it here. Air filters are generally fine as well. In some cases the aftermarket stuff works better than OEM (certain Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engines had issues with OEM carb diaphragms causing problems)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnteDarvo View Post
I told him for certain things like snow-blower belts and oil filters (larger equip) I definitely like to use oem parts.
Personally, I think the engineers of our Ariens or our better built power equipment put alot of thought into these critical parts and these would be the best to use.I'm not against using aftermarket parts at all. I just feel better about some of the more critical parts though. would anyone like to weigh in on this subject.
You definitively are on the right track regarding OEM parts especially for critical parts. The only part I would differ is with spark plugs as I like the NGK better. So Good Luck.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 2
I would include oil filters as a critical part. Definitely have differences between the quality of filters. I've also found OEM blades to outlast aftermarket.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-02-2015, 11:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
I would lean heavily towards OEM for oil filters because some aftermarket filters exclude the anti-drainback valve that is needed if a filter is mounted horizontally or partly inverted. That valve insures the engine gets oil faster upon starting.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #6 of 8 Old 03-02-2015, 11:53 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i use cogged belts all the time from the autoparts store, usually dayco. never had any issues with them on my personal blowers or my customers machines. sometimes i use ngks instead of the champions that are supposed to be there. sometimes aftermarket stuff is better then oem, such as head gaskets, or the toro ccr paddles and as an added bonus cost less
post #7 of 8 Old 03-03-2015, 12:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
i use cogged belts all the time from the autoparts store, usually dayco. never had any issues with them on my personal blowers or my customers machines. sometimes i use ngks instead of the champions that are supposed to be there. sometimes aftermarket stuff is better then oem, such as head gaskets, or the toro ccr paddles and as an added bonus cost less
When you use NGK, I think it's safe to say that you are using the best available.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes LET-UT liked this post
post #8 of 8 Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
thanks for your replies. I've always done the same for high performance muscle cars. the factory engineers knew what they were doing on allot of these cars and their related parts.
that's why i assume the engineers at a reputable company like ariens have done the same thing. i treat my power equipment like i treat my cars.
tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page