Compression on the old 6/7 hp 10,000 series - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 7
Compression on the old 6/7 hp 10,000 series

So I have two old blowers that run pretty well. However they have almost no compression. one is 60 lbs the other like 75#'s. My dealer told me that they were designed for leaded gas and since there is no lead now to add a little 2 stroke oil to lubricate the top end. Ive been running them on 100/1 synthetic 93 octane. Will a valve job increase me compression and running reliablility? How hard is it? I have never oped up one of the but I do rebuild chainsaws from the cases up. Any thoughts of wisdom. They do die in the heavy snow and I want to power through that crap. The one with the lower compression actually runs better than the higher one but I have to keep playing with the carb on the bigger one to keep it running sometimes. They also both burn a dipstick oil on every tank from full to add. Thanks for the help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 08:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
Have you tried checking the valve clearance? That's a very easy first step.

There's a manual here that shows you how to do it: http://www.asos1.com/tecumseh4hp/Tecumseh.pdf

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Redliner67 thanked for this post
Likes Redliner67 liked this post
post #3 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks!!

Awesome!!! I cant wait to dig into it!
post #4 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
put a predator 212cc on them and be done with them. those engines are not worth fixing beyond carburetor issues, you will spend a lot of time repairing internal issues
post #5 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
??

So if I'm reading this right the valve clearance should be .oo4 to .008 at TDC?
post #6 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
If that's an H60, specs are 0.008" to 0.012".

lap the valves and throw-on a new head gasket and it will run like new. It's definitely worth the minimal effort/expense that it requires. I've done 4 (soon to be 5) L-heads this winter.

While you're ordering you may also need breather gaskets & the intake-pipe gasket as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #7 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
What is "lapping the valves"? Also I dont see anyway to adjust "valve lash", easy to do on a car, but I dont see anyway to adjust. Thanks!!
post #8 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner67 View Post
What is "lapping the valves"? Also I dont see anyway to adjust "valve lash", easy to do on a car, but I dont see anyway to adjust. Thanks!!
Ah, there are a few youtube videos on it...very simple.

Grab a lapping tool...basically a dowel-rod with 2 different sized suction cups on each-end...you want the small one. And grab some lapping compound. Remove the valve, smear some lapping compound on the valve-seat area of the valve...being careful not to get any on the valve stem (or anywhere near the cylinder/piston!) then spin the valve with the lapping tool like you're trying to start a fire. It's important to clean-off all of the lapping compound when you've finished...I try to get as much of it up with dry rags as possible, then use a solvent on a rag to remove the remaining.

If you don't have enough valve clearance, you may need to remove some material from the bottom of the valve stem before lapping. I always adjust clearance 1st (I use emery paper and cutting oil) and shoot for +0.001" above the middle of the spec range (so for 0.008-0.012, I shoot for 0.011...then lap to 0.010").

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #9 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner67 View Post
So I have two old blowers that run pretty well. However they have almost no compression. one is 60 lbs the other like 75#'s. .....
The one with the lower compression actually runs better than the higher one but I have to keep playing with the carb on the bigger one to keep it running sometimes. They also both burn a dipstick oil on every tank from full to add. Thanks for the help!!!!
Based upon the very high oil consumption your engines are worn out. The worn piston rings are likely the cause of low compression and poor engine performance. You can check this by putting a little engine oil into the spark plug hole to temporarily seal the piston and checking the compression.

Also check for oil at the crankcase breather pipe. A worn engine will allow engine combustion pressure to leak past the worn cylinder bore, piston and rings to pressurize the crankcase. This blow-by will force oil out the breather and lead to high oil consumption.

You will probably need to rebuild the engines or re-power with new engines.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #10 of 62 Old 03-05-2015, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I would not try to adjust the valve clearance and definitely do not try to lap the valves if you are not an experienced mechanic with the knowledge and experience working on 4-stroke motors. I cant tell you how many times I have seen engines ruined or had to fix backyard cowboys eff ups during my many years as a professional mechanic. Let someone fix it who knows what they are doing and is confident at it or just order a new engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page