LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 112 Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Trying To Light Up My Ariens P24

I've been thinking about adding a light to my Platinum 24 on the chute, so that I can see where I'm putting my snow, not to mention the odd stone and chunks of frozen dog poo.
I asked Ariens if my machine is putting out AC or DC to the existing light and the hand warmers, and how much wattage. All they said was, that the electrical system doesn't have enough power for an extra light. They never told me AC or DC. I have no doubt that there probably isn't a whole lot of extra juice after the hand warmers, which must be a fairly significant draw and the one incandescent light. I was figuring on using an LED light though, which wouldn't draw near as much as the incandescent bulb and If I were able to convert it to LED too, I might end up using less juice than the original design. I can understand where Ariens is coming from, because they don't know how big a light I was figuring on mounting and I certainly wouldn't want to damage my new machine, but I'm not quite willing to let this go yet.
I need to know the capacity of the charging coil. LCT says it is DC in the service manual and 60 watts AC in the parts manual.
I have a multi-meter, but I'm more of a wrench puller and metal brasher than I am an electrician, so I'm not sure how to tell if it is putting out AC or DC. I need DC for the LED's unless I want to get complicated. I also need to know how much I can draw from the charging coil without the risk of damage.
Any input folks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Smile

Dual lights on Ariens deluxe 28, factory light on the left side& added same light on the right ,plus I have Ariens heated grips too. No problems
that I can see/
post #3 of 112 Old 11-08-2013, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 584
well if you can't get an answer from ariens regarding ac or dc power take a look at the bulb in the head light. it should tell you if its ac or dc, i guessing dc though

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 112 Old 11-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Ariens snow blower light modification

Not sure if this helps you but it worked for this guy/
post #5 of 112 Old 11-08-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like I don't have a real problem. I think I'll still go with LED though, at least for the new chute light. I changed out all of the lights in my camper trailer to LED's to save on juice when dry camping. Just as much light for hardly any battery drain.
Thanks fellers.

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
post #6 of 112 Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Coil is 12V 60W AC. Grips use 30W, light uses 20W. The LCT alternators run a smidgen more juice than the equivalent Briggs, although both are spec'd at 60W.
post #7 of 112 Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmann View Post
Coil is 12V 60W AC. Grips use 30W, light uses 20W. The LCT alternators run a smidgen more juice than the equivalent Briggs, although both are spec'd at 60W.
Thanks Snowmann! Now I know exactly where I stand and can do my research based on your information. The last thing I want to do is overload the coil and cause damage to my shiny new workmate.

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
post #8 of 112 Old 11-09-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK, so I've got 20 watts AC to work with, if I convert the existing light to an LED and run with two 10 watt LED's. The trouble is, LED's like DC current, so I have to figure out how to convert my 20 watts AC to DC without losing any. I might be hooped.
Are there any snow blowing electrical engineers in the room?

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
post #9 of 112 Old 11-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Cool

Ariens Snowblower Lighting & Light Bulb from RepairClinic.com

A list of ariens light bulbs & wattage.
the ones I use from the factory are 20 watts each.
A separate toogle switch to run the heated grips,
and another toggle to turn on the lights at night
without the heated grips on would keep you under
the 60 watts that your Ariens snowblower puts out.

Dave
post #10 of 112 Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hey Blue Hill
I'm working on the same problem!!! It's the main reason I got on this forum,figured someone already solved this. Check my other post. I'm really glad I found this forum I've leaned so much and everyone is so willing to share what knowledge they have. I just picked up a 8-24 Toro 1998 year if that has 5 hrs on it I'd be surprised, still had nibs on tires with a Tec engine but no light and like you don't want to fry the stator. So I went looking for an add on light. Before that checked out a couple friends machines and was very disappointed with the light output. Toro wasn't a lot of help, they were happy to sell me a expensive light kit. I had a couple of problems with the placement of the light and figured that the light output wasn't adequate for my needs. Then I started to investigate LEDs seemed like the ticket except LEDs run on dc my stator puts out 18 watts (18 vAC at 1 amp no load) I'm no electrical engineer (what I do know I leaned when TVs had vacuum tubes) but I can add. I did find a 15 watt LED work light on amazon that puts out 1000 lumens seems adequate, and a made in USA LED rectifier ACtoDC converter all in a neat little sealed weatherproof package. There is a guy on Youtube set up his that way said he used a converter and a voltage regulator I'm assuming the regulator smooths the voltage out reducing flickering, I think, but he didn't provide any particulars or schematics.
The issue has been brought up about LEDs not heating up enough to keep the snow off the light.In my quest I did check out the low voltage LED landscape lights with a less wattage and aluminium housing similar what I found on amazon at the big box store. The housing was rather warm, not hot but warm. So I don't think it will be as much of an issue as one would think.
Back to the light. Since the blower didn't come with a light and Toro wasn't that forthcoming with the exact wattage I'm assuming like most of the ones I've seen it's in the 27 - 30 watt range. Now this is were I'm having trouble getting my head around a couple of issues 1. Toro's OEM light kit calls for a 7.5 amp inline fuse, why, seems like overkill for a stator that's only pushing 1 amp and it doesn't seem like it would protect the light at all. I'm beginning to think it's the case of "hey we got all those fuses in the back lets use them up" 2. If the stator is only putting out 18 watts how come all the OEM and aftermarket lights are of a higher wattage. You would think the manufactures should have figured this light situation out a long time ago. I mean really it's a snowblower you use them in winter, in winter you have more Dark than Light. Gees
So this is as far as I've got, haven't tried it out yet.So if any one out there has done this and can give a breakdown of [B]exactly[B] how to go about it or can point in the right direction lets hear about it. P.S. To all the Marines out there. an old Devil Doc says Happy Birthday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page