Purchased Ariens Hydro Pro 32... thinking... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Purchased Ariens Hydro Pro 32... thinking...

So I pulled the trigger on a Pro Hydro 32.

I hope the China build Briggs lasts 20 years. I hope the chute control isnt as finicky as I fear it will be. I hope the hydro tranny doesnt break in year 6 and cost me a thousand dollars to fix. I hope the auto turn doesnt make it tough to run in a straight line.

I was thrilled yesterday when I left the dealer. Now I'm worried about all of the above. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 01:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 110
Well. As to engines today they do seem very reliable and most of them seem well built too. Originally the Briggs and Tecumseh engines used on snow blowers only had bushings instead of ball bearing supports for the crank shaft and even the old Briggs I have only has an aluminum block with out a cast iron sleeve. The new Harbor Freight Predator 212cc has Ball bearing support on both sides of the crankshaft as well as a Cast Iron sleeve for the piston bore. I feel that the old engines were just ok and not greatly over engineered like the snow blowers them selves were. I do feel that the new engines are built very well too and they are all of newer OHV designs that are loosely based on the Honda Designed OHV. I think you will be alright with the Chinese made OHV engine by Briggs and Stratton I think that they too could last 20 years or so especially if you maintain them well and use a good quality synthetic oil like Amsoil or Mobil 1 or Castrol syntec. As to the Auto turn by Ariens hopefully it will be reliable. I am sure they tested it before releasing it to the public. Although with anything no matter how much you test them it is still Murphy's Law once it is in the hands of the consumer since people will occasionally do something whether intentional or non intentional that can break their equipment.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 08:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfieldCT View Post

I hope the China build Briggs lasts 20 years. I hope the chute control isnt as finicky as I fear it will be. I hope the hydro tranny doesnt break in year 6 and cost me a thousand dollars to fix. I hope the auto turn doesnt make it tough to run in a straight line.

I was thrilled yesterday when I left the dealer. Now I'm worried about all of the above. Any thoughts?
All I can say is worrying isn't going to do anything. If you're that concerned take it back and get something a couple years old and save yourself a pile of $. My very humble 2¢.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 584
you could come here and drop off your ariens and i'll do some long term testing for you

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #5 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Thanks for the answers...

Thanks for the insight on the new engine. I like stuff to last.... There is something special about having a 25 year old machine that looks and runs like new. My old 724 is in the shop getting new belts and friction plate. It's going to my brother who will have it at least 10 more years.

Happy I found this forum.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
you could come here and drop off your ariens and i'll do some long term testing for you
William, your generosity is only exceeded by your good looks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfieldCT View Post

I dont see any reason why you should worry about any of those things..
there is no precident or evidence for any of them..

and the same sort of worries apply to *any* product you could by..
I worry about car reliability..so I do research and buy a Honda instead of a Kia..I assume you did the same thing and bought a high-end Ariens rather than a $500 Craftsman...you have bought from a product line that has decades of reliability behind it...IMO, you probably bought the snowblower you need to worry about the least..

Scot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page