LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New Ariens opinion

Hey guys, this is my first post. It looks like there's some great info here. Anyways, I finally got rid of my 1987 MTD and am looking at the new Ariens line. I think I've decided to go with the Platinum 24 as space is at a premium in my garage. I'm tired of my old snowblower bogging down in wet snow and at the snowplow berm at the end of the driveway so I want as much power as I can get while still being reasonable in cost. I was also looking at the Deluxe 28, but it has 40 less cc. Looks like it doesn't have hand warmers which isn't a huge deal. I'm seeing mixed stories as to if the 28 has auto turn, which I would like. So to make a long story short, is the Platinum 24 worth $400 more than the Deluxe 28 in your opinion? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Welcome to SBF, GWN!
I have to admit being biased, since I have a brand new P24 itching for her first snow. You will find lots of debate on this forum recently about just what you're asking about. The D28 does indeed have the auto-turn and also as you mentioned a smaller engine and a wider mouth. It also has smaller wheels, and a different chute rotation system. Hand warmers are optional.
Beyond that, they are pretty close. Don't let anyone sell you last year's model, we had one member with that experience.
You won't be far wrong with either choice, but for my needs the P24 was the perfect fit.
Good luck.
Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post. It looks like there's some great info here. Anyways, I finally got rid of my 1987 MTD and am looking at the new Ariens line. I think I've decided to go with the Platinum 24 as space is at a premium in my garage. I'm tired of my old snowblower bogging down in wet snow and at the snowplow berm at the end of the driveway so I want as much power as I can get while still being reasonable in cost. I was also looking at the Deluxe 28, but it has 40 less cc. Looks like it doesn't have hand warmers which isn't a huge deal. I'm seeing mixed stories as to if the 28 has auto turn, which I would like. So to make a long story short, is the Platinum 24 worth $400 more than the Deluxe 28 in your opinion? Thanks!
My MTD 5/22 with the Tecumseh 5hp used to bog like a dog until I repowered it with HF Predator 212cc engine. I was going to suggest a repower but I see that you already got rid of your MTD. Yes the Ariens Platinum series are nice but so are the Deluxe series and you could save some money by getting the Deluxe instead. I see the Ariens 24inch Platinum series is $1349.99. It is only a small amount of engine size 291cc vrs 254cc and a cast iron auger hub assembly that is the main differences between the 2 machines. How big is your driveway and how many inches of snow do you average per year? If you have a beast of a driveway and are in a heavily wooded area where branches and what not could be buried under the snow I would then get the Platinum since it has the cast iron auger gear case. Other wise if you live in the city and have a relatively small driveway I would get the Deluxe at 24 inches and save even more. By the way depending upon your mechanical ability you could have always repowered your old snow blower and shot it with some new paint. The biggest gripe I ever had about my MTD 5/22 was the poor running Tecumseh. I can build a beast of a snow blower for about $350.00 with my old Gilson made Montgomery Ward 8/26 if I repower it with an 11hp HF Predator 346cc engine. That with the Heavy duty all cast iron augers and 4 paddle deep impeller drum with a 2x4 inch Baler belt impeller kit would be a beast of a snow blower. I instead restored it to original condition(I did add the impeller kit though) with the Briggs 8hp and sadly it's not running the best right now and I need to replace the needle and seat for the float. I am also replacing the stock points with Magnetron ignition kit since electronic ignition is way more reliable.
post #4 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Hey GWN see my post "Is bigger better". I went through the same process you are going through now. Good luck.
post #5 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
My MTD 5/22 with the Tecumseh 5hp used to bog like a dog until I repowered it with HF Predator 212cc engine. I was going to suggest a repower but I see that you already got rid of your MTD. Yes the Ariens Platinum series are nice but so are the Deluxe series and you could save some money by getting the Deluxe instead. I see the Ariens 24inch Platinum series is $1349.99. It is only a small amount of engine size 291cc vrs 254cc and a cast iron auger hub assembly that is the main differences between the 2 machines. How big is your driveway and how many inches of snow do you average per year? If you have a beast of a driveway and are in a heavily wooded area where branches and what not could be buried under the snow I would then get the Platinum since it has the cast iron auger gear case. Other wise if you live in the city and have a relatively small driveway I would get the Deluxe at 24 inches and save even more. By the way depending upon your mechanical ability you could have always repowered your old snow blower and shot it with some new paint. The biggest gripe I ever had about my MTD 5/22 was the poor running Tecumseh. I can build a beast of a snow blower for about $350.00 with my old Gilson made Montgomery Ward 8/26 if I repower it with an 11hp HF Predator 346cc engine. That with the Heavy duty all cast iron augers and 4 paddle deep impeller drum with a 2x4 inch Baler belt impeller kit would be a beast of a snow blower. I instead restored it to original condition(I did add the impeller kit though) with the Briggs 8hp and sadly it's not running the best right now and I need to replace the needle and seat for the float. I am also replacing the stock points with Magnetron ignition kit since electronic ignition is way more reliable.
Not to pick nits Gusto, but every Ariens 2 stage has the cast iron gear case and has for several years. If GWN goes down to the Deluxe 24, he loses the auto-turn which (as most of you are probably tired of me saying) is a must have. There are several other differences between the Deluxe 28 and the Platinum 24 like larger wheels and the Quick Turn chute control on the P24 as well as hand warmers, which depending on where he lives could be a significant feature. Where I live, we get temps of 40 below for a week or more at a time. You bet I like hand warmers.
JMHO.
Larry

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
post #6 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hill View Post
Not to pick nits Gusto, but every Ariens 2 stage has the cast iron gear case and has for several years. If GWN goes down to the Deluxe 24, he loses the auto-turn which (as most of you are probably tired of me saying) is a must have. There are several other differences between the Deluxe 28 and the Platinum 24 like larger wheels and the Quick Turn chute control on the P24 as well as hand warmers, which depending on where he lives could be a significant feature. Where I live, we get temps of 40 below for a week or more at a time. You bet I like hand warmers.
JMHO.
Larry
Not to pick nits Larry but I just checked the gearcase on my little 5520 and it is aluminum, nor cast iron. Put a magnet to it and nothing. I know it's close to the bottom of the heap as far as Ariens but it is a two stage w/o cast iron gearcase. ( I wish it was!)

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #7 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hill View Post
JMHO.
Larry
Yes Larry, I agree hand warmers are nice when it is 40 below zero. Auto turn does sounds like a nice feature too especially for a larger heavier machine but My 22 inch high powered now MTD is small enough and light enough for me to swing around quickly when I want to turn. The much heavier Gilson made Montgomery Wards 8/26 will most likely be much less so than the smaller lighter 22 inch MTD. As to larger wheels you could go out and buy them if you need to and put them on your machine for usually less than the price difference being charged by the manufacturer. Lately it seems like this forum is turning into a braggarts paradise about who has the fanciest and most expensive snow blower or recommending the one with the most horsepower at a big price premium or the biggest clearing width and the most bells and whistles. I like the posts that have to do with fixing your snow blower or ones that give good reasonable recommendations on what to buy based upon your snow removal needs rather than always recommending the 1 year old $4000 brand new Yamaha for a great price? over the new but 1/3 the cost Craftsman like the one were the guy was "Trolling" anyway since he already owns an expensive Yamaha according to an earlier post of his. Unlike you, winter here last but 4 months so I can't justify or recommend to someone to spend all that money on something that sits 8 months out of the year. If you have lots of snow and real cold weather like you do and lots of turning then the Ariens is a great machine plus at $1349.99 for the Platinum 24 inch model it's still some what affordable too. I do like the Ariens brand since they make a variety of machines for all needs and some are quite affordable too. Plus those $4000 tracked monster machines by Yamaha and Honda can be real bears to turn I heard and I am getting a bit put off with all the one-up-man-ship stuff going on the forum lately and miss the reasonable advice and the small engine repair information that I used to see more often. That is why I joined because I like the good advice and people sharing their knowledge on small engines and how to repair stuff rather than just recommending to go out and buy the biggest and baddest whether you think you need it or not. Just my 2 cents anyway

Mark
post #8 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Mark, please read the OP. The new member asked for an opinion on a new Ariens.
Enough said.
Larry

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
post #9 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Now now guys. Let's all get along. I appreciate everyone's opinion. I am in Minnesota so our winters are long, cold and usually accompanied by a lot of snow. We already had our first shovelable snowfall last week. I've always had a used snowblower but I always end up fixing it more than using it because previous owner didn't take care of it. This time I'm buying new because I don't have the time to keep repairing with a 4 and 1 year old in the house...haha.
post #10 of 40 Old 11-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Not to pick nits Larry but I just checked the gearcase on my little 5520 and it is aluminum, nor cast iron. Put a magnet to it and nothing. I know it's close to the bottom of the heap as far as Ariens but it is a two stage w/o cast iron gearcase. ( I wish it was!)
Sorry for the misdirection Joe. I meant to say every new Ariens has a CI gearbox and has for several years. I left out the word new.
My bad.

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page