LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Maybe a dumb question?

Hello to all, I paid a lot of money this winter to have my drive way plowed several times because I have a very large driveway and we have had record snows this winter. I have decided to buy a snow blower for next winter. I have been doing a lot of research and have decided on an Ariens. This may seem like a dumb question but I haven't found any thing about it posted anywhere. I have a very large driveway and it is all gravel. Will a snow blower throw gravel every where while it is throwing snow? I don't see how this could be avoided. I would hate to have to rake a ton of gravel from my yard in the spring and maybr replace a few windows. Someone must have a gravel driveway and know what will happen when blowing snow from it. Thanks for any info on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I found in my previous experience that if the ground isn't frozen then yes it will throw alot of gravel! If the ground is frozen it might pick up some errant pieces but nowhere near the amount on unfrozen ground. It's just like snowplowing. How many times have you had chunks of grass and gravel from your drive show up in the pile of snow on unfrozen ground? When the ground freezes it becomes less and less!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
most snowblower manuals will instruct you to move the adjustable skids on the bottom to their highest point so you leave 2 inches of snow on the ground until that snow becomes packed. then after the 2 inches packs down you can lower the skids. see "runners" on page gb-22 in the below manual. i would personally leave more room than the ariens manual below says.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/02497200D_ENG.pdf
post #4 of 5 Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
What's the saying? No such thing as a dumb question.

Here's a thread that was on our forum earlier this year that talks about height adjustment.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...works-you.html

Like td5771, on a gravel drive you probably want to raise it up until you get a base.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Received): 155
Besides moving the skids to bring the machine up all the way, I'm surprised no one made a rounded cutting edge so that the machine floats over the stones instead if scooping them up with a normal cutting edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page