post #1 of 23 Old 03-16-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 1
Model 10962/10995

Hi!

I'm about a week into ownership of a 1969 Ariens 10962 with 10995 snow-thro attachment. It was my grandfather's, and was in my cousin's possession for the past 12 years or so. I received it after the last snowfall this year, but I can't wait until next year!

Before reading on, please know that I have NO experience with any sort of maintenance -- engine or otherwise -- for anything like this. I can change a tire on my car, and that's about it. So bear with me, please.

1. I noticed that the left tire was almost flat, so I filled it with air -- and it looks like there's a leak from the valve stem. It seems that the tube I need is Ariens p/n 71050, which Jack's Small Engines has for $25. Is this what I should get, or would I be able to get a "generic" version of this tube for less money?

2. I know this is a silly question, but I've seen youtube videos where people flip their snowblowers upright to work on the bottom or tires, etc. But my scoop is teardrop-shaped, not flat, so I can't flip it upright, correct? How do people work on it?

I'm sure I'll have lots more newbie/naive questions... thanks in advance.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-17-2015, 01:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 21
Hi Doug

1. Likely just need to tighten or replace the valve if it's actually leaking from the valve itself. Is it actually a tube or is it tubeless?

2. You could use blocks for support to keep it from rolling back or ahead if you need to tip it up.

~Ray~
~1975 Canadiana 1026 Heavy Duty w/light & limited slip differential (& custom exhaust (need to fabricate manifold), customized impeller housing, removable chute in about 5 sec) (currently out of service)

~ Craftsman 8/25 Trac-Drive C950-52671 (mid 80's ???) (current user) (replaced blown engine with original, now in service again)

~ Craftsman 12/32 OHV 71-52112-1 (now in service)

~Noma GP 1028EL (repaired and serviced for daughter to use)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks dmel thanked for this post
post #3 of 23 Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Hi Doug,
welcome to the forum!

1. You should be able to find a cheap replacement tube..
write down the tire size from the side of the tire, then go to Tractor supply, (or maybe even Home Depot or Lowes) and you can probably find a tube for that size tire..
I bought a tube for my 1970's era dump cart at Tractor Supply last summer.

Its resting on the chute..
angle the chute so that its facing forward, then tip the whole thing up..
its sitting "tripod style" on the two sides of the bucket, and the chute..
it does put some weight on the chute, but as long as the chute is properly attached, it can handle it..I have been doing this once a year for 7 years now, it works fine!

Drift cutters might work better, but most people dont have them..and would have to have double drift cutters, not just one..the way I do it is "normal" and common..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks bwdbrn1, dmel thanked for this post
post #4 of 23 Old 03-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 684
Likes (Given): 3871
Likes (Received): 1485
Garage
Congratulations on your new "tank".

When you tip it, try to have as little gas as possible or drain it down before tipping it and if it's your first time put down cardboard so if the engine leaks any oil you have something to catch it on other than the garage floor or driveway. Once you've done it a couple times you'll know if you need to continue or not.

Wanted to point out the link in Ssotsman's signature. Great pictures, history and repair and restoration info for Ariens owners : The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site..

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #5 of 23 Old 03-17-2015, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYAR View Post
Hi Doug

1. Likely just need to tighten or replace the valve if it's actually leaking from the valve itself. Is it actually a tube or is it tubeless?

2. You could use blocks for support to keep it from rolling back or ahead if you need to tip it up.

Thanks for the response, RAYAR. According to the Ariens manual, my model has tire and wheel assembly A12991, which includes a tire (71066), tube (71050) and rim (71052).

With the tire so deflated, I can actually stick my finger between the rim and tire and feel the tube. In fact, you can see it peaking out in this pic:

Here's a close-up pic of the valve stem; you can see that it's cracked (circled in red):

Maybe I used the wrong phrasing to describe the problem... but for this, I'd need to replace the tube, and not just the valve, right?

Thanks!
post #6 of 23 Old 03-17-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Hi Doug,
welcome to the forum!

1. You should be able to find a cheap replacement tube..
write down the tire size from the side of the tire, then go to Tractor supply, (or maybe even Home Depot or Lowes) and you can probably find a tube for that size tire..
I bought a tube for my 1970's era dump cart at Tractor Supply last summer.

Its resting on the chute..
angle the chute so that its facing forward, then tip the whole thing up..
its sitting "tripod style" on the two sides of the bucket, and the chute..
it does put some weight on the chute, but as long as the chute is properly attached, it can handle it..I have been doing this once a year for 7 years now, it works fine!

Drift cutters might work better, but most people dont have them..and would have to have double drift cutters, not just one..the way I do it is "normal" and common..

Scot
Thanks, Scot! I'll try to find a cheaper tube. And then of course, I'll have to learn how to change it ;-)
I was planning on taking off the wheel, but do I need to do that or is it as simple as prying the tire over the wheel, removing old tube, inserting new tube, jimmying the tire back on, with the wheel still on the machine?

Doug
post #7 of 23 Old 03-17-2015, 11:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 267
90% likely you need a new tube.

To be sure, put a little air in it then smear the area of the crack with soapy water. If you see bubbles, you've found your leak.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Well, it could just be a loose valve core and tightening it up might work. You need to pull the wheel off and put it in a bucket of water and see where it's bubbling. If it's from the end of the stem it could be as easy as tightening that core.

Looks like it's a 4.10 x 3.50 x 6"

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-17-2015 at 11:15 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Congratulations on your new "tank".

When you tip it, try to have as little gas as possible or drain it down before tipping it and if it's your first time put down cardboard so if the engine leaks any oil you have something to catch it on other than the garage floor or driveway. Once you've done it a couple times you'll know if you need to continue or not.

Wanted to point out the link in Ssotsman's signature. Great pictures, history and repair and restoration info for Ariens owners : The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site..
Thanks for the tip, Kiss4aFrog.
I've spent many hours over the past week reviewing Scot's site -- it's been incredibly useful!
post #10 of 23 Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
That tube can be found at Lowes, Shop Tire Aid 4.10/3.50 x 4" Utility Inner Tube with Sealant at Lowes.com and PepBoys $2.90 !!! http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/166830/00871 among others.

At $2.90 I'd get a couple and not even bother checking out the old one. I'd just make sure the tire doesn't have anything sticking through it that can puncture a new tube.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-17-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page