LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-17-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
First Post Intro

First post here, but I've been working on Ariens since the early 1970s. This past Thanksgiving my wife got laid off so I started repairing and selling snow blowers. I did pretty good, I worked on most brands but the Ariens were the easiest to move. I had folks drive halfway across Massachusetts to pick them up.

This was one of those winters with snow every week from January 18 till the beginning of March. It helped that I had a local dealer with a "junk" section with decent selection of good used machines. Once I worked my way through that inventory I had to buy from Craigslist.

Now that the season is winding down I've been buying any affordable Ariens I can find. This week's been good, I picked up seven, all for under $60. That will enable me to put whatever I need into them and still sell them for a reasonable price.

I currently have at least one of every series from 1963-1995. I'm particularly fond of the early series with the bulletproof cast iron gear case. My latest acquisition is a 932001, it's adorable, sort of the mini-me of Ariens blowers. It has a 2.7HP electric start engine, the first sub 4HP snow blower I've ever owned. I can't wait to try it out.

I take care of a church in town so I need to have two blowers ready for action. Something inevitably breaks on one of them during the season. My main machine is a 1984 Snapper Large Frame 10301 with a new 15HP engine. My 1984 ST824 is my backup blower, but I make sure it sees action at least once a storm.

I'm in the middle of building a hybrid machine. I was told I couldn't use an old bucket with a newer tractor, so I'm doing it. I have a 1979 tractor that I picked up with blown gear case and bad engine. I also have a 1963 10M-L60 with a tractor unit with "issues" and a poor running engine. I'm going to document it in another thread. This will become my home machine.

Current "inventory":

1963 First Series (part of my hybrid)
1965 10M-L60 (2)
1976 922022 (2)
1978 932001
1979 924040 (part of my hybrid)
1984 924050 (my backup)
1995 924082
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Hi Stanz,
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you will be a big help to a lot of us, with your wealth of experience. I'm eager to hear how you make out with your hybrid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 159
Thanks (Received): 292
Likes (Given): 390
Likes (Received): 969
Welcome to the forum, from the Keystone State.
I see you got the addiction. :-)

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 4 Old 03-18-2015, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
Oops, I posted this in the wrong forum, doh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page