LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 50
How many parts should I replace?

So I tore down my 1968 10m6d, it was making clunking sounds with impeller spinning. Apon inspection I realized the bushings on the tractor were way shot, so they need to be replaced. The bushings on the blower were decent but I will replace them as well, one bushing came out of carrier with no resistance, does that mean the carrier is no good, hope not.
So I'm going to order for the blower, two bushings and the bearing, two bushings for tractor wheels, and a new belt. During all this I realized the auger gear box is leaking, then I drove just the tractor to the shed and the big round pulley has a slight wobble, do I need to do that bearing as well!?
My jacks small engine cart is a little over 100$ for the four bushings, bearing, clutch spring and belt. I think the machine is a beast I repowered it with 212 predator, I'd also like to get new tires, the chains scratch my driveway and pavers. But that will wait. It's a 47 yr old machine, but do u think I should hold out?
Thanks for reading
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 109
I would hold on to it. If you know what parts you need shop around ebay for better pricing. Lets say you dump 200 in parts and upgrades on your machine. It should last you for at least another decade. What kind of machine can you buy for 200. You have a newer engine on it. That should stretch you out even longer for repairs. Lets say you get your hands on a newer used machine. That will also need repairing sooner or later and parts can be a burden to get for some makes and models. That Ariens is strong were it counts. Great gearbox, strong rod controls,as opposed to cables, very strong thick usually rot free metal. Alot of newer machines will not have all of these features.

74 Ariens 832
8? FMC Bolens 824
02 White 4x4 Snow Boss
90 Lawn Boy ST320
88 Honda 300FW w/plow
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 5 Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
Shop the parts and then purchase what you need. Much better to maintain one of the old tanks that to buy a newer machine with just enough metal to keep from falling apart IMHO.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-23-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks fellas! I'm going to keep it, so true, they don't build them like this any more. So much thick steel, awesome. I've started to cross reference the old part numbers to get new part numbers, such as bearing 1x63 is 54063 then the google finds them on eBay.
There's a transmission/ industrial hardware place close by if I had the actual sizes of these bushings and bearings I could get them locally, but without removing them I can't measure them. I'd rather not take it apart and forget the order and steps!
post #5 of 5 Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Wow amazon has them! And measurement I can take to a shop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page