post #1 of 13 Old 03-28-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 10
ST824 Wheel to Wheel Measurement

Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker and have gathered a lot of info on Ariens models on this forum. Thanks for all of the great info here.

I'm making my first post to gather some info regarding an early 90's ST824 that I'm looking at locally. It needs a carb rebuild and has a little rust, but appears to be in great shape. Seller is asking $170. If a minor carb rebuild is all it needs, then I think that's a good price, but I might haggle a little since I won't be able to start it and see how the drivetrain is. Any further thoughts on what to look for?

My main question is in regards to measurements. I don't have access to a truck, so I typically remove the passenger seat from my sedan when I have to haul something big. As I understand it, the blower housing detaches quite easily from the tractor in ST824 models (4 bolts, 2 belts?). I'm hoping to fit the main tractor inside the car without the passenger seat installed. The floor is 21" wide under the passenger seat. Does anyone have a wheel-to-wheel measurement of the main tractor on these machines? I'm hoping it'll just barely fit.

Further, is anything else on the machine easy to disassemble on the spot to make squeezing it inside a little easier? I know it sounds odd, but you'd be surprised how much extra space a car has without the passenger seat installed.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2015, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Welcome to SBF.

Times like these are when it pays to have a friend with a truck.

Hopefully someone will be along with the information you're looking for.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i wouldnt pay more than 100 for it. i dont know the measurements.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2015, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Yikes

I had an ST824, I'd say the wheels were pretty much 24" wide, the same as the bucket. They weren't wider. But I'd say they weren't much narrower, either. I just checked my 1024 Pro, the wheels are 24" wide, total.

The bucket comes off easily, yes. The belt cover has to come off, then unhook the belts. Then support the control handles as you remove the two big bolts that hold the tractor to the bucket. If you don't have someone hold onto the handles, the tractor will crash to the ground when the second bolt comes out

This assumes the tractor/bucket bolts come off easily. There can be rust issues, and they are big bolts.

You might have to take the wheels off to try this. And, honestly, I'd still not sure it will fit. The wheel bolts on my machines had rusted up, I ended up using penetrating oil and an impact gun to get some of them off. Remember that it's tough to put a lot of torque on them, as the wheel wants to turn along with the wrench. The impact gun really helps with that.

I think taking the chute off the bucket should be pretty easy, that would make the bucket a little more compact.

Is renting a truck an option? Depending on how far it is, renting a truck by the hour from Lowes or Home Depot may be worth considering, and might be cheaper than renting a pickup for a day.

I put a trailer hitch on my little SUV (RAV4), which lets me rent a cheap UHaul trailer (~$25) if I need to move something around. That's how I got my current snowblower home.

Good luck! Let us know how you do. Take pictures, if you get it in there!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 13 Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 15
Welcome to SBF Please go to new member and state a formal hello!

I agree negotiate around 100 for a machine that does not start. Make sure you check compression by pulling the cord. You could take a socket set and remove the base cover (check the friction plate) and peeking under the belt cover is always a good idea!
IF your patient and keep looking you may get a model that may have less age on it and in running condition for that price.
You should check out Donnyboy73 video on what to look for when buying a used snowblower

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird
post #6 of 13 Old 03-28-2015, 08:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I don't know where you're located, but around here, $170 is pretty decent for one of those machines, I'd say, assuming the repairs are minor to make it run.

It's admittedly tougher when the engine won't start, which makes it hard to check the drivetrain. But if it has spark and compression, then the chances are decent that it's the carb. You might try a bit of starting fluid to see if you can get it to run for a few seconds.

Check that the augers aren't frozen to the shaft. Rotate one forward or back, and hold it there (this takes up the backlash in the gearbox). Then try to wiggle the other one forward/back on the shaft. If it moved, that shows the wiggling auger is not frozen to the shaft. Then hold the second, and wiggle the first.

You could try to check for a blown gearbox by manually rotating the impeller, while pulling forward or back on the augers, for a full auger rotation. It should feel smooth the whole time. If the auger gearbox feels crunchy or suddenly slips, it could be damaged (can be expensive).

Looking at the side of the bucket, move the auger shaft around, and look for play in the auger shaft bushings. See how worn the skid shoes and scraper bar are, for a sense of how much use the machine might have (they could have been replaced, of course).

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gsnod liked this post
post #7 of 13 Old 03-30-2015, 06:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1651
Likes (Received): 583
hello stang, welcome to SBF!! head to uhaul or home depot and rent their truck for $19 then all you will need are some ramps to load the ariens

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #8 of 13 Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the great information.

I decided to go the conservative route and actually picked up a ST504, which is 19" wheel to wheel. The tractor itself fit like a glove inside my compact sedan with passenger seat removed:

The bucket just cleared the trunk, too:

Not bad. I think if I were to remove the center glove box I could fit the ST824 in there, but I guess that depends on whether my ST504 is a keeper. I made a separate thread about it here:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...tml#post605242
post #9 of 13 Old 04-03-2015, 01:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Well, if there's a will, there is a way. Welcome, and have you considered a hitch and hitch carrier?

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 13 Old 04-03-2015, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by db9938 View Post
Well, if there's a will, there is a way. Welcome, and have you considered a hitch and hitch carrier?
Absolutely. I'm hoping to grab a class II hitch and a cargo carrier, which should be enough for relatively light equipment like a snowblower. The wife's little sedan is rated to tow 1000 lbs, so I could do a light harbor freight trailer if need be.

I'm always amazed at what can be hauled inside a car without the passenger seat, though.

Last edited by Stang; 04-03-2015 at 02:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page