LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-03-2015, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 10
Picked up my first Ariens - an ST504

I've been on the hunt for a vintage full size machine for a while, but I came across a ST504 for $40 that I said "what the heck why not" to. I'm taking a small gamble, as the starter cord was snapped and needs a new one, hence I couldn't hear the engine start.

Here's the main tractor without the bucket:

And here's the bucket itself with auger:

Not the prettiest, with a little rust here and there. My only concern is the following rust, which has cause a small separation along a seam in the bucket:

Thoughts on the severity of this crack?

You may also notice the box around the carb is missing. Any ideas on where to pick one up (or how to fabricate one)? I'm also missing the base that the gear shifter "notches" into.

I picked up a new recoil handle and rope and just realized that I'm missing the starter dog (part # 590148). Any ideas on local places that stock this part before I order one on ebay?

Overall, it's not the prettiest, but I'm hoping $40 wasn't too bad of a gamble for this. I'm anxious to see if she fires right up when I get the recoil starter fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-03-2015, 01:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
The cord is nothing to replace. I use para cord or 550 cord, to make that repair bullet proof.

The bucket is whole other question, how salvageable is it? With the added welds, and extent of deep rust that has rooted into it. It might be more cost effective to fame out and have the bucket sandblasted. This hopefully would clean out the pits, and allow you the actually see the weld quality.

But for $40, you haven't lost anything. There is always someone looking for a two pulley motor, and they easily go for more than $40.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-03-2015, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by db9938 View Post
The cord is nothing to replace. I use para cord or 550 cord, to make that repair bullet proof.

The bucket is whole other question, how salvageable is it? With the added welds, and extent of deep rust that has rooted into it. It might be more cost effective to fame out and have the bucket sandblasted. This hopefully would clean out the pits, and allow you the actually see the weld quality.

But for $40, you haven't lost anything. There is always someone looking for a two pulley motor, and they easily go for more than $40.
The biggest issue I see with the bucket is the 3" tear that's illustrated in the last picture in my original post. Everything else seems to be in decent shape.

I've read the thread on these boards on the recent all-out refurb job on a 504 and that was neat, but I'd almost rather put that effort into a full-sized machine. For less than $10 in parts if I can get this machine running it would be a nice $50 (total) tool. Does the crack look like it would have a huge negative impact on performance?

I just recoiled the starter - super simple you're right. Now I just need the starter dog.

Any ideas on where to get the box that covers the carb area?
post #4 of 18 Old 04-03-2015, 04:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 21
That bucket wouldn't be hard to repair at all for someone that has a few tools and a welder and knows how to use it.

~Ray~
~1975 Canadiana 1026 Heavy Duty w/light & limited slip differential (& custom exhaust (need to fabricate manifold), customized impeller housing, removable chute in about 5 sec) (currently out of service)

~ Craftsman 8/25 Trac-Drive C950-52671 (mid 80's ???) (current user) (replaced blown engine with original, now in service again)

~ Craftsman 12/32 OHV 71-52112-1 (now in service)

~Noma GP 1028EL (repaired and serviced for daughter to use)
post #5 of 18 Old 04-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Those carb covers come up on ebay all the time.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-03-2015, 06:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
-Any ideas on where to get the box that covers the carb area?-
504 parts should be some of the cheapest Ariens parts on ebay. The only thing that is hard to find is that optional summer air cleaner for the tiller attachment.

Last edited by HillnGullyRider; 04-03-2015 at 06:13 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
That cover is likely not an Ariens part. You can sure look for one off a 504 but you should be able to grab one from any make snow blower that fits the engine.

You are looking for a 5 horse Tecumseh part not an Ariens snow blower part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-05-2015, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks again for all the suggestions. How necessary is the carb cover? Does not having it interfere with operation? Can anything under it not get wet?
post #9 of 18 Old 04-05-2015, 02:49 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
the linkages can freeze up and the engine can over rev, then its bye bye connecting rod and engine block and you will have a hard time finding a used engine to fit it. so yes, the heater box is important
post #10 of 18 Old 04-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Getting things wet and having them freeze are the main concern. It's wet in there, you shut you're blower off and stick it someplace unheated and everything freezes solid in the off position and you are not able to move the throttle from off to get it started. Or like above you get into some heavy snow and the governor pulls the throttle open and it sticks open. Or it sticks at it's normal position and won't move to increase when you get into heavy snow and doesn't have the power you need.

So ya, it's a really good idea to have one or make something to protect the linkage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page