LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
Rescued a 10000 series

About two months ago I got a rare Saturday off, and was taking a ride up into town for breakfast. I live south of Buffalo so snow is not uncommon, and neither are snow blowers. Anyway as I was driving into town a lady is hauling a snowblower out for garbage. I had my son ask if they were tossing it and she said they were cleaning out the shed, her husband came out to explain what was wrong with it. We'll my truck was out of service so I drove home and got one of my tractors and a loading cart (tractors on the road are not unusual around here in the country). Loaded it up hauled it home. This wasn't my first garbage pick I picked a Roper 8/26 a year or two before my wife & I got married had to push it to her parents house but "the Beast" as we call it has been our primary snowblower the last 3 years after mostly a carb cleaning and chain tensioning on the drive gear.

The Beast was good to go this fall, an inherited small Toro had issues and I ran out of time, then came this Ariens. It is a late 60s early 70s era, apparently 4hp. Guy told my son it was spitting gas from the exhaust. The primary problem is the guy thought it needed an air filter. This of course made it run rich as his filter restricted air causing it to suck more gas. He fabricated an oil foam filter box for it. I cleaned the carb and leaned it out to accomodate the air flow differences. Runs perfectly. Had to lube all the auger and tranny engagements as they were stiff. Only issue is he fiddled around with the choke enough so that it is sloppy without the existing air filter mod.

It is running though, and we'll. If the snow hits tomorrow it will be a good test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 785
Nice!
since the snow is coming soon, try it out first, as it is now, before you start changing it..but after that, I would just remove all the air filter nonsense and just chuck it all..
The guy obviously *thought* snowblowers were supposed to have air filters, but he was wrong..It will probably run much better without it!

post some pics if you can!
Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
He messed around with the choke enough so it is really sloppy without the fabricated oil foam filter housing in place, if it vibrates enough it'll choke & stall. I am kinda stuck with it unless I start messing around and spending cash.

The best I could do was try and adjust the carb accordingly. It does run good for now, real snow will be the test.

I'll get some pics up soon.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-25-2013, 11:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Worst case is you have to put a cheap China engine on it.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-27-2013, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just got done blowing the 5 inches that fell since the storm started. Way easier than the Beast (Roper 8/26) simply due to antiquated safety standards. If you tip it to turn it chugs like it is going to stall. It cost. Nothing, I will use it until it seriously dies then pass it along.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK, got a lot of snow today, fooled around with it some. Since it lacks the air heating box you have to warm it up well. Slight stumble at idle like most Tecumseh engines. Threw snow fine. Think its about 4hp. I bent the choke lever a tad so it isn't sloppy loose. It starts on one or two pulls, I can easily use it like this until it craps out. Not the prettiest thing. My 13 year old son can use it but neither him nor my wife can control The Beast. Looks like a good freebie.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 02:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 35
Man, why not put a couple dollars and hours on it and use it forever instead of just until it craps out?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2013, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Nothing that was done to it is functionally detrimental to the engine, just improper. Got about 2 feet of snow today, along with the old Roper it performed fine, occasional sputter at idle, which is fairly common with most Tecumseh engines I have had especially horizontal shaft ones in this horsepower range.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-12-2013, 10:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
Can't beat a deal like that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page