LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Smile Ariens HS40 55265B

Hello. First Post new user to site here. I just picked up this old Ariens 4 HP single stage snow blower. I like old stuff like this i guess cause i am old lol. I didnt have much chance to service it, but changed oil and fired it up and tried it out. The snow was not very deep about 3 inches. It was very wet snow. This poor old blower only threw it about 1 foot lol. I don't know if it will do better in lighter snow. The chute kept jamming up and it stalled out a couple times so i didnt want to beat it up. I like this old machine. I did get some of it cleared but it started raining and made it much wetter. Never saw snow heavier. I shoveled it and am tired lol. Please advise. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
If it is stalling the engine isn't running right. My guess is the carb might need cleaned and you might have leaking valves on that old engine. After you get that taken care of make sure the belts are good and tight. After that consider looking up "clarence impeller kit". Also make sure the chute isn't all rusted up.

Oh yea, you said single stage. Maybe your auger paddles are worn out.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 785
But he also said HS40, which is an engine that would be on a 2-stage, not a single stage..

Im guessing its an smaller 2-stage 4HP.
probably a 22000 or 932000 series..

Tommy,
welcome to the forum!

"HS40 55265B" is the model of the engine only, not the model of the snowblower..
can you post a few photos?
or look for an Ariens tag at the rear of the machine, or the side of the scoop, and post any numbers you find there..

As for the machine doing poorly in wet slush, that is perfectly normal for most 2-stage snowblowers..(if that is what you have)..They dont do well in slush..there is a fix! an impeller kit..but it should do much better in "normal" snow..

Give it 4" to 6", or more, of cold "dry" snow and I suspect it will throw like a champ..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 11-26-2013 at 09:24 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
hey guys. thank you for the replies. i will post some pics of this old blower asap. when it stalled on me, the chute was completely plugged solid with wet packed snow. so i thought since it could not throw anything out, that is what stalled it. parked it in my garage last night and smelled gas. seems to be leaking when it sits out of the carb. appears to be leaking from that gas release plunger? not sure on that. i shut off the tank supply and started it till it ran out of fuel. will have to do that for now lol. i hope i can get throwing better. i like this old blower. thanks again for advice. Tommy.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ariens Photos

Here are some pics guys. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arien Snowblower 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	4530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowblower 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	4538   Click image for larger version

Name:	snowblower 3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	4546   Click image for larger version

Name:	snowblower 4.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	4554  
post #6 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 785
Thanks for the pics Tommy!
you have an Ariens 22,000 series machine, made 1969 to 1978:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco...ens/Page6.html

Its a 2-stage, not single stage.

I used my '71 Ariens this morning on 6" of wet heavy snow..
had to stop several times, shut down the machine, and clear out the chute with clogged snow..it happens with wet snow. An impeller kit is the only real fix..
But around here, such "warm" snows are rare..90% of the time it works great, when the snow is "normal" and dryer and colder..

Scot

post #7 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thank you for that information. so it is a 2 stage. i don't see a impeller looking into the shoot? so a 2 stage has a impeller to help throw the snow further, is this correct? where is the impeller located? maybe i'm not understanding what it looks like. sry i don't have more knowledge on blowers. thanks Tommy.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
You have an impeller in there. It can be seen in your second picture looking at the front.

A plugged chute could stall it since the impeller will not be able to turn. A poorly running engine will also stall a lot easier. If you have fuel leaking you probably need to clean the carb. Usually the culprit would be the float getting full of gas or the needle and seat not closing properly. If you are leaking from the drain on the bottom of the carb my guess is the gasket on it is shot. Gasket kits come with replacements for them, or you can get a new carb bowl that doesn't have that drain on it. Another possibility is there is just some dirt in there preventing it from closing fully or the spring on the outside that keeps it closed rusted through.

You will probably find it works a lot better if you clean the rust from the chute too. Hard to see from your pictures, but if there is a lot of rust in there the snow will stick right to it. Even if you can't paint it right now just knocking down some of the rough spots should help you out. Same with the rust on the augers in the front.

While you are at it it would be a good idea to remove the shear bolts and see if the front augers spin on their shafts with the bolts removed. If they do great. Squirt some grease in the grease fittings on them, spin them around a few times and then squirt a bit more grease in them and put the bolts back in.

If they don't spin they are rusted on there and the shear bolts are not going to break if you hit something. Instead the auger gears in the gearbox are going to break and those a lot more money and effort to change than the bolt. The proper thing to do would be to disassemble the front and get them loose, if you feel like taking chances though you can leave the bolts out and run it with them removed and hope it breaks itself loose. Just know that when they do finally come loose they won't turn in the snow anymore and your blower is going to turn into a plow until you put the bolts back.

Last edited by Shryp; 11-27-2013 at 08:23 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thank you. ok now i see the impeller. i want to do the service with the shear pin bolts. where are the bolts located? where is good place to purchase some spare shear pins? all of this info is much appreciated. thank you. Tommy.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I buy my bolts online. Unfortunately shipping is going to bite you unless you are buying a bunch of things at once.

Your second picture shows the shear bolts. They are right in the middle of the augers. One on each side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page