LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Break-in procedure

Hi all. Newbe here. I'm buying a new Ariens 28" Deluxe thrower #921022. I would like to know what is the break-in procedure, engine, belts? This is my first new blower. My old 1971 Hanns-Eclipes died last winter when we had tons of snow. Everyone here on the east coast had no blowers in stock, what a winter! Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Not sure on specifics for a break in, but here is the manual. It lists general setup and maintenance.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04335900B_ENG.pdf
post #3 of 19 Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
shryp, thank you very much for the owners manual. When they deliver the throw, I should know how to use it. lol!
post #4 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
After much deliberation I bought a Ariens Deluxe 24", which is on its way. I would love to take a look at the manual for it (or any of the Deluxe models), but the link above no longer works. Does anyone have a copy, or another link that works, or an Serial I can use to download it from the Ariens website? I am very excited to get it...this will be my first snowblower, too.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Here is a generic link that tells you how to get your model and serial numbers, and then leads to the main download page:

Downloading Owners and Parts Manuals
post #6 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
yeah I guess I am just anxious to look at the manual since it will take about 2 weeks for the thrower to get here...
post #7 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Aren't we all?
post #8 of 19 Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Call me impatient...but I HATE WAITING!

:-)
post #9 of 19 Old 11-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 223
Likes (Received): 135
I was a bit surprised to see the B&S recommendation about not running the engine at full load until it's done 5 - 10 hrs. I generally believed snow blowers/throwers are designed to run at full throttle (only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&S

What are the recommended break-in procedures for my engine?
In general, there is no special engine operation procedure required during the break-in period. There are, however 2 major points to consider when using an air cooled engine for the first time:

Do not operate the engine at full load during the first 5-10 hours of operation.

Change the oil after the first 5-10 hours of use.

In the past, the engine break-in period was very important to the overall life and durability or the engine. The break-in period required has changed over the years with improved piston ring materials and designs. The break-in period now (5-10 hours) is short in comparison with that of engines of the past. Aluminum cylinder bore engine piston rings break-in faster than those used on case iron cylinder bores.

Break-in period is accomplished at any speed above idle and may occur faster if the engine is operated at varying loads and speeds. However, break-in occurs at an acceptable rate if the engine is operated at slightly less than top no-load speed with or without a moderate load. Combustion pressures at this speed are sufficiently high to cause piston rings to conform to the cylinder wall. It is recommended that an engine not be operated continuously at full load during the initial hours of operation. This can lead to permanent deformation of the cylinder bore.

It is very important to perform the initial break-in oil change, however. After the first 5-10 hours of operation, the oil should be changed to remove asperities that have broken from the bearings of the engine components and cylinder wall. Break-in can be performed using the recommended grades of standard or synthetic oil. Which switching to synthetic oil, the most cost effective method would be to use our standard oil for the break-in procedure, and if desired, use synthetic oil afterwards. For more information on oil types, please visit our Oil Recommendations page.

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #10 of 19 Old 11-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
I was a bit surprised to see the B&S recommendation about not running the engine at full load until it's done 5 - 10 hrs. I generally believed snow blowers/throwers are designed to run at full throttle (only)
They are designed to run full-throttle..but only during "regular" use..which in the case of newer Briggs engines, does not apply to the first 5-10 hours!
In cases like this, always believe the manufacturer..they made the engine, they know best.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in