LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
1972 Ariens Sno-thro

So I picked up an Ariens blower from a friend and it has the Tecumseh 7hp, 24" blower and the model number of the blower is 910995, but the decal for the tractor part is partially missing so I can't find anything for it. The research I've done has lead me to believe that there's supposed to be a differential in my blower, because it's a 7hp, but there isn't one. The previous owner might have said something about a newer engine, but both the blower and engine are a 1972. Also it's a 22,000 series I think which would have chrome handles and mine are white, the white was repainted so I don't know it that was original or to stop the rust. Any help determining what this blower is if it's a pile of various blowers or one of a kind 7hp without differential.

1972 Ariens Sno-thro-image.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
post #3 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 12:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
Nice machine with the tall chute already added.

Have you peeked inside to verify that there's no diff? Sometimes there is a differential but without a locking diff mechanism on the left wheel.

Of course, another way to check would be to turn the snowblower and see if the wheels go in opposite directions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 71 Sears liked this post
post #4 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by db130 View Post
Nice machine with the tall chute already added.

Have you peeked inside to verify that there's no diff? Sometimes there is a differential but without a locking diff mechanism on the left wheel.

Of course, another way to check would be to turn the snowblower and see if the wheels go in opposite directions.
Thanks, I've tried to turn it and both wheels are locked. I'm not sure what I'm looking for as far as the differential under the blower, I've had the access plate off, but all I see is a steel shaft withs big gear on it that's about 1" wide. And there's no controls on the wheels to lock and unlock it, just cotter pins on the end of the shaft/axle.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
looks like a 5hp to me judging by the 1/2 gallon take, it will say h50 somewhere if it is. it it is actually a 5hp, the white handlebars are factory
post #6 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 50
I'm new and all my info has come from here or scottsman site, or the two ariens I've worked on. I thought you got chrome handles and differential with the delux models. Such as 10m6D. When u looked under it at that big one inch wide gear does it have what appear to be rivets around the outer circumference or is it just a big solid gear. That's where the differential would be, solid gear means no differential. Also the wheel we cant see in ur second pic would have a knob to Pull to disengage the wheel from the axle. Good luck
Rob

Last edited by Rob711; 08-03-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks 71 Sears thanked for this post
Likes 71 Sears liked this post
post #7 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
looks like a 5hp to me judging by the 1/2 gallon take, it will say h50 somewhere if it is. it it is actually a 5hp, the white handlebars are factory
Wrong, then engine is a 7hp, the shroud says 7, and the block tells me 7.

post #8 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's the drive that's under the blower, just a big gear and a solid shaft it looks like to me. The pic is upside down for some reason, so everything is on the opposite side from what the picture shows.

post #9 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob711 View Post
I'm new and all my info has come from here or scottsman site, or the two ariens I've worked on. I thought you got chrome handles and differential with the delux models. Such as 10m6D. When u looked under it at that big one inch wide gear does it have what appear to be rivets around the outer circumference or is it just a big solid gear. That's where the differential would be, solid gear means no differential. Also the wheel we cant see in ur second pic would have a knob to Pull to disengage the wheel from the axle. Good luck
Rob

Thanks Rob for the info, I will look now as I'm typing. I think I'm going to go on ebay and spend $70 for a complete differential type axle for my blower unless someone has one. I got the blower for free so $70 to me is worth it.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-03-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's the number plate of the engine, for sure an H70.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page