New member with "new" Ariens Deluxe 28+ (AX414 !), first oil change question - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-22-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
New member with "new" Ariens Deluxe 28+ (AX414 !), first oil change question

Hey everyone!

New guy here! Last night I picked up a used Ariens Deluxe 28+ (one of the ones with the LCT AX414 engine! ). I got it from a guy who bought it new in January so it doesn't have many hours on it. Anyone know if this is a 2014 or 2015 model?

I was thinking I should do the first oil change on it before snow flies. I want to switch it over to 5-30 synthetic oil, but is the first oil change too early to do this? Or should I use conventional for this first oil change and switch to synthetic on the second oil change?

Excited about the new blower! This will replace a 10 year old Troy-Bilt 8HP/ 26". The troy-bilt did ok but I need MORE POWER for these Maine winters and I think this Ariens has about twice the power with only a 2" wider cut so it should do the trick!

In advance of picking the Ariens up yesterday, and in doing research about which blower to get, I have already done a bunch of reading on your forum. The LED headlight modification thread peaked my interest, I am a big fan of LED lighting for everything.

Also need to pick up some drift cutters and maybe install the electric handwarmers.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Motodeficient; 08-22-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-22-2015, 08:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Welcome to the forum. Glad there was some detail here to help you to this point.

I know you said you are from Maine, but please put that in your description thing for future postings.

That deluxe 28 will last you for many years if you take care of it, and it sounds like that will be your plan. As far as what oil to use, that has been debated here allot. Some like syn, others go for dino. Myself, I use dino (conventional) oil. Not sure why, just habit I guess. I don't run syn in anything else, so I guess for me it is just one less oil jug I need to keep on hand.

The LED thread is a GREAT thread. First 10 or so pages will get you ALL the detail you need for this conversion. The rest is just Q and A about specific models issues.

Hand warmers are a nice addition also. I would got to Ariens and get them. Reason is you will be safe with those and not put a strain on the AC system the blower puts out.

In case you wanna get carried away and keep on "pimping out your blower" the below video is what I have done to my deluxe 30. (yup another shameless plug)

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #3 of 11 Old 08-22-2015, 01:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1382
Since you got used you can change over to the synthetic if that is what you want other wise just use dino. you can change it now. that is fine to do.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 11 Old 08-22-2015, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 24
I am running 0W-30 in my Ariens Platinum 30 with AX369. The advantage to the synthetic is it flows much better in very cold temps making the motor easier to start and less wear and tear. At least that is what I tell myself

I changed on the first change. I don't think there is any issue to doing this.

Ariens Platinum 30
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Motodeficient thanked for this post
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #5 of 11 Old 08-22-2015, 08:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
I would let the motor break in a bit before putting in the synthetic oil. I know you want to protect that new big block but you are probably better off changing it after the manufacturer recommended 5 hours. The factory fill oil will likely have some metal particles in it do to break-in no reason to waste synthetic on the break in period. I would switch to the synthetic at the first oil change. Good luck with your new machine.

Regarding what year this model is it's a winter 2014/2015 model. Ariens had some leftover LCT AX414 Gen II engines last year and installed them in the Ariens Deluxe 28+ instead of the standard AX291 they were using in the plus. It was a limited edition (limited to 2,000 units).

Last edited by Cardo111; 08-23-2015 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Clarified my post
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #6 of 11 Old 08-22-2015, 08:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 376
Likes (Given): 468
Likes (Received): 483
Mobil 1 0W30 would be my choice.
I would use it from the first oil change (the brake-in period is until the manufacturer scheduled first oil change). In this case 5 hours as another member stated prior.
If it was used since January it should have more than 5 hours of use, just my guess.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4366
Likes (Received): 1742
Garage
Welcome to the forum Moto

In your area if it's used I think it's a pretty safe bet it has 5 hours on it. If it was mine, I'd go ahead and dump the oil and go with the synthetic. I use Mobil 0-40 because I use it in the tiller, riders, mowers ... it's just easier for me to keep it down to as few different jugs of oil as possible.
I get the stuff at Walmart.
If you want to talk oil, these are the guys to have the discussion with. Bobistheoilguy.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil mobil 1 european formula.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	54610  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-23-2015 at 07:59 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-23-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the responses. I am definitely going to switch it over to synthetic due the flow ability at low temperature.

I am not exactly sure how many hours on it but we got a lot of snow here the second half of the winter so I imagine it has 5 hours on it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #9 of 11 Old 08-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
I did not read or pay attention to the part of your post that said you bought the unit "used" in our PC culture you mean pre-owned... In that case as other members have mentioned, I would definitely drain the oil and change it over to synthetic at this point.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-23-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Put Mobile 1 0W-30 in it today. I took the wheel off to make it a little easier because of the oil drain location.

Lesson of the day: Don't forget to put the key back in the axle slot if you want your snowblower to move after reinstalling the wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page