LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-25-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Recommendations for an Ariens Rookie...

Hello. I知 new to the forum and just purchased my first snow blower. This site provided some great information to help me make my decision when I was researching used machines. I ended up buying an Ariens Deluxe 28, Model No. 921022. From what I could tell it痴 in very good condition.

I live in the northern Midwest and recently moved into a new house with a long gravel driveway and concrete parking area so it was time for some help with snow removal.

I知 no mechanic but do most of my own maintenance and repairs on my small engines (chainsaws, ATV, snowmobile, lawn tractor, etc.). I知 a stickler for maintaining my equipment as best I can to get as long a life out of it as possible and I have been pretty successful.

Wondering what I should be doing to my new snow blower? What are the critical maintenance needs? What are the wear parts? Are there known issues with this particular model I should be looking for? Other things to avoid or look out for?

Basically any general tips would be welcomed and much appreciated in getting it ready for winter and also when storing it during the off-season.

Also, is there any way to find out what model year it is?

The only thing I noticed when inspecting it and running it was that the light did not come on. I didn稚 notice a switch so I知 assuming it runs when the motor is running? Probably needs a new bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303

You got a nice one. I think they were around the 2012 year give or take. Lots of good stuff can be found on our moderator Scot's own Ariens page here. your model should show up somewhere on page 9. The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
My personal check list is to make sure the augers are free to spin on the shaft by removing the shear pins and spinning them. If they do spin great, hit the zerks with some grease and put the pins back in. I like to pull the wheels and grease the axle shaft and wheel hub beginning season and end season. The only time they rust to the wheel is when you need to remove them to fix something else, greasing prevents this Inspect the belts for slop or cracks. May as well pull the chute off and slide some grease where it rotates on the auger bucket while it's warm out. Used I'd definitely change the oil and drain the gas, swap for known good gas of my own. Put it on a really flat surface and make sure your scraper bar is even as well as the skids/runners (could be put on wrong, worn or uneven tire pressure which will cause it to wear uneven). I'd pull the belly pan and look at the shaft the friction wheel slides on make sure it slides nice and easy and no crap has built up on the shaft. Lightly grease it (usually lithium white). Look for cracks or wear on the friction wheel rubber. Then take a few pictures and share them here
post #3 of 19 Old 08-26-2015, 05:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1384
ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 19 Old 08-26-2015, 06:45 AM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 238
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 608
Welcome to SBF. Look forward to hearing more as you get familiar with your Ariens and how you like it on your new driveway.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Thanks for the warm welcoming all and for the good information jtclays. I called Ariens today and they told me it was built on October 28, 2010 so it's a 2010 model.

I'm assuming just normal grease for everything you mentioned other than the friction wheel slides? I'll have a chance to start taking a closer look this weekend and learn more about the parts of a snow blower. Any other recommended maintenance tips from anybody? Thanks again.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
I use Amsoil blue marine grease on the lawn tractor and the snowblowers. I've never had a problem with it getting caked or hardening like wheel bearing grease. My parents have a boat/trailer and we ran that grease in my dad's old LX188 tractor (1996) that I have at my house now. It's never had replacement deck spindles and the front wheel bearings were just replaced this year. I like the stuff.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-26-2015, 05:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out View Post
Thanks for the warm welcoming all and for the good information jtclays. I called Ariens today and they told me it was built on October 28, 2010 so it's a 2010 model.

I'm assuming just normal grease for everything you mentioned other than the friction wheel slides? I'll have a chance to start taking a closer look this weekend and learn more about the parts of a snow blower. Any other recommended maintenance tips from anybody? Thanks again.
Actually I think that would make it a 2011 model year
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes PixMan liked this post
post #8 of 19 Old 08-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 401
Likes (Given): 184
Likes (Received): 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Actually I think that would make it a 2011 model year
Yes, that's definately the 2011 model year.

Scot

post #9 of 19 Old 08-27-2015, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 591
Thanks (Received): 773
Likes (Given): 4374
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
I use Amsoil blue marine grease on the lawn tractor and the snowblowers. I've never had a problem with it getting caked or hardening like wheel bearing grease.
It's likely the synthetic. Same reason I use Mobil1. Seems to stay soft forever. I used to try a save a few bucks on grease but when you think about how long it is between changing out cartridges or how long you've had that tub, I finally wised up and started buying synthetic.
Works great on automotive lift motors or heater blend door motors that get slow. You open them up and the factory grease is usually like dried up chewing guy. Clean them out, coat with a little new grease and you're back in business.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grease wheel bearing Mobil1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	54881  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-27-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Likes jtclays liked this post
post #10 of 19 Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
White Out, On your light issue. I know some people complained about some of the newer style Ariens headlights shedding too much light up toward the operator while in use. I think Ariens made a fix which blocked it a bit (like a shroud for the top, can't find the posts right now). I read a few people just ran duct tape across the top edge to accomplish the same thing. Perhaps the previous owner unplugged it or pulled the bulb to defeat it. Just FYI.

Frog, that's the stuff on the right in your first pic
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page