LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
2014 921038 306cc platinum sho

Hi. New here and found a lot of info on this blower to help me decide on this purchase. I read about the headlight issue(ariens is sending me the decal) and leaking gas cap. Is there anything else if you own this machine from using it last winter? Any problems with snow sticking to chute and bucket auger impeller? My driveway is smooth and flat so I am not concerned about the auto turn issues that some members have found. I am going to check to make sure the bucket is square to the ground at 1/8inch before it is used. Any feedback would be great. Sometimes you find things to tweek after using for a season and the SHO was new for last year I believe. Thanks for any feedback. Here is a couple of pics of the beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1441288634511.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	55290   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1441288680058.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	55298  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes PixMan liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 87
I have the model 921029 Platinum 30 (non-SHO), though it has the larger 414cc motor. Mine was bought used with an estimated 6 to 10 hours on it.

Despite challenging the machine with some of the most constant and heavy snowfall winters on record and no "super high output" auger, I had absolutely no problems with clogging nor bogging down.

You certainly have done your homework, knowing to level/square up the auger housing and gas cap issues. I've had no problem with either.

So how did you do on price and whereabouts are you? Lotta machine there, so I hope you're in a "snowy area." Looks GREAT!

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
post #3 of 16 Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you did your research and you landed we rig that will last you for years to come, providing you take care of it.

As far as tips and tricks, the below video is what I have done to my deluxe 30. Different machine I know but there will be some same concepts, such as getting more chute rotation, baffle on the front to stop the snow from puking out the left side. Armor Shoes, I know you said you do not need/want them. And the big one is LED lights.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #4 of 16 Old 09-03-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
Hi Pixman, I live in Long Island NY. We do get snow and the last few years since hurricane Sandy have been rough winters. Even if I only need to use this once a year, the time and energy it will save me are worth it! I also plan to keep this for 20+ years. I didnt save much but my dealer is great. Free delivery to my house and spent a good amount of time going over the machine with me and how to keep it performing best during the winter.

Hi liftoff, thank you, I watched your videos on YouTube. They are very informative. I am going to wait and see how it performs for me before I start modifying it, but your videos sure do give me plenty of ideas!
post #5 of 16 Old 09-04-2015, 01:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Smile

Nice machine you picked up there. Being an sho model with heated grips
there's not a lot you need to add to that beast.
Simple things would be to change the oil to synthetic 5w-30.
A coat of wax before the snow flies and maybe a floor mat to park it on
while the snow melts in the garage.
Maybe some bright led's down the road. Glad you bought an Ariens

Ariens deluxe 28
Ariens 927le
ariens self propelled mower
post #6 of 16 Old 09-04-2015, 07:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 87
I'm just curious why folks would use full synthetic oil in these machines. It seems to me that oil changes happen based upon age far more often than for hours of use. Given the long service life of full synthetic oil, do you keep it in there for more than a year? Has there been any documented comparisons of engine wear differential between conventional oil and synthetic in this application?

For me, regular oil seems fine and is always quite clean when I change it. I'm a fan of full synthetic and use it in my motorcycle but in a snowblower it seems overkill. Or as my coworker once put it, "as casting pearls before swine."

I'm always open to hearing considered opinions though. I'm open minded and can be swayed.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
post #7 of 16 Old 09-04-2015, 10:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Cool

Well if you drop a $ 1000.00 or more on a snowblower
I would like to put the best oil in it that's on the market.
For $10.00 a quart mobil 1 5w-30 is my choice. Royal purple is a little more$
I change the oil every spring so it sits in clean oil for the summer
and is ready for the first snowstorm.
Just saying...lol

Ariens deluxe 28
Ariens 927le
ariens self propelled mower
post #8 of 16 Old 09-10-2015, 10:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 6
synthetics here all the way in everything i run. if that vid didnt convince i dont know what will lol

2014 ariens deluxe 28+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fixer5000; 09-10-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks uberT thanked for this post
post #9 of 16 Old 09-10-2015, 09:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 111
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwind346 View Post
.... My driveway is smooth and flat so I am not concerned about the auto turn issues that some members have found.......
If the pavers under your machine are similar to your driveway then you may want to think about the plastic skids from Ariens instead of the stock steel ones on your machine. The steel skids can scratch the pavers apparently. Another advantage of the plastic skids is that they slide easier so it improves the Autoturn performance regardless of driveway surfacing.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #10 of 16 Old 09-12-2015, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 425
Likes (Received): 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwind346 View Post
Hi. New here and found a lot of info on this blower to help me decide on this purchase... Here is a couple of pics of the beast.
Nice choice
And

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
I'm just curious why folks would use full synthetic oil in these machines. It seems to me that oil changes happen based upon age far more often than for hours of use. Given the long service life of full synthetic oil, do you keep it in there for more than a year? Has there been any documented comparisons of engine wear differential between conventional oil and synthetic in this application?

For me, regular oil seems fine and is always quite clean when I change it. I'm a fan of full synthetic and use it in my motorcycle but in a snowblower it seems overkill. Or as my coworker once put it, "as casting pearls before swine."

I'm always open to hearing considered opinions though. I'm open minded and can be swayed.
My reasoning for switching to synthetic is because it is supposed to be more fluid at cold temps . My snowblower lives in an unheated garage so starting the machine in below zero F temps I think it gives better startup lubrication as well as being a little easier to pull it over.

Phil

Ariens 2 foot SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page