LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
My New 41 Year Old Ariens

I want to intoduce myself and thank all of you for your posts in the past reading this forum helped me a lot in finding my "new" 1972 Ariens 10,000 7/24 blower.

Despite being young and just starting a family the wife and I downgraded from a big country home to a modest home in suburbia this summer I no longer needed a plow on the front of my truck, I sold that and started looking for a snow blower. I gave myself a $500 budget for a basic snow clearing device. The driveway is fairly small, 2 wide x 6-7 long and we both have 4wd cars so it is not critical to clear it with every storm.

I looked at a $499 Craftsman on black friday and was horrified at the quality. Thin little wire cables, brackets that flexed and plastic all over. I grew up with a house on a hill and a 300' snaking driveway that plow contractors refused to quote. My father and I always got it done with an old Ariens that was fairly new back then and later a tracked Honda blower from the mid 80s. They were animals, built like there was a fire sale on 1/8" and 1/4" plate steel. I expected similar quality from newer machines.

Totally turned off by newer machines I did some homework. Mainly on this site and settled on the 60s and 70s Ariens Sno-Thro machines. Old, sturdy and proven. All things I like to hear about a machine. Plus it is kinda cool these days to own an old quirky machine. I like that in the future I will be able to use it as a teaching tool for my now 3 month old. That in our throw away society it can be worth it to buy quality and since it is so simple, I hope to make a good restoration project when he is in his teens. I figure 50 years old will be the perfect time to repower and paint the machine for another 50 years.

After a bit of hunting on craigslist I found a 1972 Ariens 10,000 series. 24" bucket, 7hp Tecumseh, all original just dirty. It was at a local small engine shop and it had been gone through by the guy. When I called to ask about it I said I was looking for an Ariens, he said "everyone wants an Ariens, do you know what type?. When I specifically asked about a 60s or 70s model he perked right up and told me about this nice early 70s he had and went on and on about it. He said it was owned by an old engineer that bought it new and the machine out lived him.
I paid $275 for it, I figure I could have paid half that from someone else or pulled one out of a ditch. But $150 for his time and the tune up he did was more than fair. If I was buying a machine in July, I would be happy to tinker with it for months. She pulls strong and idles low with no issue. It even has an electric start and the original drift cutters (which I found to be at the perfect height to neuter a man my size) which I feel like are fairly unique for its age. At the least, it tells me the original owner spared no expense on his machines.

The Tecumseh engines have a rep for throwing rods, but they do last for a very long time. But something has to break....and throwing a rod sounds more like an owner that never changed the oil. At 40 years old I will would hardly call it problematic or a weak spot. Even if the engine let's go tomorrow I could swap the engine in an afternoon and have a better rig than the $499 Chinese boat anchors and still have less money into it.

I do have one question: Does anyone know a decent battery powered light kit that could clamp onto the bars? My driveway is not well illuminated. I'm thinking I may hit up the local bike shop.

1972 Ariens 7/24 910008
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GAR liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 784
wow, nice find! she's a beauty!

Minor issue, but it's most likely a 1973, not a 1972..
I believe '73 was the first year where the auger release lever was moved to the handlebars..
can you post the model and serial numbers from the engine tag? that should tell the tale..
thanks,
Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 04:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 23
Smile

Welcome to the forum, I can't speak of a good light kit, but wanted to tell you that's an awesome looking Ariens you picked up there. Looks to be in great shape. With your attitude sounds like she will go another 41 years without a hiccup. She's a beauty, enjoy the snow!
post #4 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
wow, nice find! she's a beauty!

Minor issue, but it's most likely a 1973, not a 1972..
I believe '73 was the first year where the auger release lever was moved to the handlebars..
can you post the model and serial numbers from the engine tag? that should tell the tale..
thanks,
Scot
First off thanks for the great page you run.

I sent you an email on that with all the serial numbers and model numbers. The engine is an August of 72 build.

Tractor:
Model 910008
Serial: 012237

Bucket:
Model: 910995
Serial: 100846

Engine:
H70 130158a
Serial: 2221R

Going by the info on your page, it points me to a 1972 build. The 1972 manual you have also shows the relocated auger release.

1972 Ariens 7/24 910008
post #5 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
WOW, nice, welcome come on in your home now. Looks like you'll fit right in with the attitude you have. This is the place if you, out of love or necessity have an older unit you want to keep going or a new one you want to keep that way. These guys know their stuff. If they all got in the same room a fight would break out over who's nicer. Tim
post #6 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Also, the leaver on mine is flat, and mounted ahead of the Ariens plate. The 1973 broschure shows a different leaver with a ball type knob on the end mounted behind the plate.

1972 Ariens 7/24 910008
post #7 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Boy I'm feeling my age. That's the year our neighbor bought one brand new. Now I was the oldest of seven sons so my father never saw a need for those machines. But as my brothers and I spent time shoveling 125 ft driveway our neighbor was done with his and back inside drinking cocoa. All pleas and comments about slavery and child abuse fell on deaf ears
post #8 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 784
very interesting..thanks for the numbers!

There has been some ambiguity around the features for '72 and '73..
this Ariens list, from 1974:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Snow...24_zMvae-O.gif

Says both of your Ariens numbers date from 1973.
But that has proven to be an unreliable list! I have found quite a few things wrong with it..

you are correct that the 1972 manual shows your style of auger release..plus the 1972 manual shows your model 910008..and im far more likely to believe the individual manuals, then I am that 1974 list..plus your engine is clearly saying 1972..
so..im convinced! it is a 1972, not a '73.
good detective work! I will have to update the page to say that '72 was the first year for the new style auger release lever, not '73..
and I see I haven't yet had any photos of a 1972 on the page..(may I use your photos for the page?)
thanks,
Scot

post #9 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 06:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
Nice Ariens. I'd say a Good Decision Buying it instead of the POS Craftsman.
That Craftsman will One Day come back as a Toyota Fender, and Your Vintage Ariens will still be Throwing Snow. My Suggestion on Yours is, After the First Time You use it, Make Sure to Check the Oil. You can use that as a Barometer as to how much oil consumption the Old Engine is or is not using. I see Many Blown Engines due to a Low Oil Condition. Best of Luck with it!
post #10 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 07:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 584
hello mabe, welcome to SBF!! thats a very nice ariens you have

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in