Deluxe 24 Over Compact 24 But At What Price…? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-30-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Deluxe 24 Over Compact 24 But At What Price…?

Hi!

Newbie here. I am looking for some feedback please and thank you.

I have never owned or used a snow blower. Yes, I have searched the forum here and read the two threads and yes the Deluxe 24 for the extra few $$’s is the better option when paying MSRP.

However, is the Deluxe 24 worth an extra $500 Canadian ($400 US) over my cost for a Compact 24?

I can purchase the Compact with a price match/plus an extra 10% off for $1240 taxes in. The Deluxe at MSRP would cost me $1736 taxes in.

Nova Scotia… average snow fall 60 inches, we can get between 6 inches and 12 inches. Snow can be mixed usually wet snow. Rain following snow is also a possibility. My driveway is 60 feet by 11 feet

Would anyone in the Maritimes or the New England area using the Compact 24 like to share the comments regarding its performance?

Which model would you folks buy given this choice with the price difference?

Thanks.
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 397
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 931
Hi Keith,
welcome to the forum!

This is one of those very subjective questions that is a matter of opinion only..no one can give you a definitive answer!

Its like asking which is better for you personally, a $12,000 car or a $17,000 car. no one but you can answer that! it all depends on what you can afford, what you need, and what you want.

All you can do is compare the features, compare the pros and cons of each model, then decide if the difference is worth an extra $500 to you.

based on the stats you provided, low snowfall and small driveway, you certainty dont *need* the Deluxe 24..if you *want* the Deluxe 24 though, and dont mind paying for it, then its a perfectly fine choice!

If its usually quite wet slushy snow, you might even be better off with a single stage..you should also add a quality Single stage, Toro or Honda, to your list IMO..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Hi Keith,

based on the stats you provided, low snowfall and small driveway, you certainty dont *need* the Deluxe 24..if you *want* the Deluxe 24 though, and dont mind paying for it, then its a perfectly fine choice!

If its usually quite wet slushy snow, you might even be better off with a single stage..you should also add a quality Single stage, Toro or Honda, to your list IMO..

Scot
Thanks Scot for your response.

Last year's total snow fall amount was an anomaly for us here in Halifax, NS. I should have included a picture of the snow received so people could see what we faced. I do not think that a single stage would have been able to handle what the *plow* left at the end of the driveway last year or be able to clear the snow banks. See attached image.

My biggest concern was whether or not the Compact with the 208cc engine was up to the task?

I did get the answer I was looking for after speaking with an owner of a Compact 24. He mentioned that his Compact 24 did struggle a little with the snow at the end of the driveway left by the plow. The Compact did the job, but very slowly with back and forth actions. Based on this I decided to go with the Deluxe 24. I placed an order with a dealer, unit will be delivered (free delivery), assembled and tested. I will be adding poly skids as I have walkway with pavers.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HFX_snow_2015.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	58274  
post #4 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 10:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
Wise move - In my opinion, you can never have too big of a snow blower - providing you can handle it, and it doesn't handle you. Good luck.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes uberT liked this post
post #5 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 05:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
Wow I thought things were expensive in the NY METRO area for that price you could buy a Platinum 30 SHO. I hope that Ariens offers some good financing promos there like they do here.

Personally I think it is worth spending the extra money and getting the Deluxe 28 SHO with the 306cc engine and you will likely never worry about running out of power. The Deluxe 24 with the 254cc engine would be the minimum to handle the plow pile at the end of your driveway. I would be concerned about the Compact 24 not having enough power, I think this machine will cost you more in the long run, because you may end up selling it and replacing it with a more powerful machine.

Good luck.

Last edited by Cardo111; 10-09-2015 at 08:17 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 10:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 12
Keith177, I had the same dilemma and made the same decision. Ordered mine with poly skids and heated grips. Mine will be delivered late next week.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
Wow I thought things were expensive in the NY METRO area for that price you could buy a Platinum 30 SHO. I hope that Ariens offers some good financing promos there like they do here.

Personally I think it is worth spending the extra money and getting the Deluxe 28 SHO with the 306cc engine and you will likely never worry about running out of power. The Deluxe 24 with the 254cc engine would be the minimum to handle the plow pile at the end of your driveway. I would be concerned about the Compact 24 not having enough power, I think this machine will cost you more in the long run, because you may end up selling it and replacing it with a more powerful machine.

Good luck.
OP is in Canada. Take his price and multiply by 0.75 to get the cost in US dollars.

Ariens Platinum 30
post #8 of 14 Old 10-11-2015, 06:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Keith177,

Haligonian here... Sent you a message. Get back to me when you get a chance please. Wondering where you purchased.

Thanks!
post #9 of 14 Old 10-14-2015, 09:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuofsci02 View Post
OP is in Canada. Take his price and multiply by 0.75 to get the cost in US dollars.
Thanks. The prices are still about 20% higher than here in the states.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-14-2015, 09:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
Thanks. The prices are still about 20% higher than here in the states.
True, but the OP price was also out the door which will include the sales tax in his area which is likely 13%

Ariens Platinum 30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page