LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New tires for Ariens ST270/932001

I have an Ariens ST270/932001 my neighbor garbage picked and then gave to me. I have re-conditioned the carb, and now she runs like new!

The only thing that she really needs are some new tires. It currently has the original hard rubber sawtooth tires that are nothing more than slicks now. As you can imagine, the traction is horrible.

Has anyone had any luck in replacing these? If so, what did you find or use? Ideally I would like to place something akin to a snow hog/carlisle xtrac, but I have not been able to find anything that may "just work". Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
some of the older sizes are hard to find. i know of a few people that use the new snow tires and they say they work well and only slip occasionally in hard packed snow.

on the other hand if you can't find any that won't be a guaranteed fit you could always use snow chains. all my blowers have smooth tread (i call them turf tread) tires but i have chains on them and the dont slip.

if the chains are close in size you can just remove some links to get a proper fit.

is there a size on the side of the tire?
post #3 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for replying. From what I have researched, the tire size is 4.10/3.50x4. There are no markings on the tire or rim. I posted pictures of it here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/cantato...eat=directlink

I really hope to replace them with a modern tire. If I can, I want to stay away from chains, but if I have to...

I do not have any calipers, but I think the axle is 5/8ths diameter. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks for helping!!
post #4 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
that should be a common tire. you can find them almost anywhere. axle size does not matter, just change the tire not the whole rim and tire.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Looks like standard tiller tires, well thats what i call them cause all the tillers have those. But measure the size of the metal wheel, is it four inches or six inches in diameter, cause that looks like a 4.10x3.50-6 tire to me. If thats the case plenty of choices for new tires online, the snowblower type tires, snowhogs etc, can be had on ebay for about $20 each if you search long enough.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 01:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
my apologies, i did not look at the picture and i call a different tire "saw tooth".

now i see why you would change the wheel and tire.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Just measure the hole / axle with a tape measure. It won't be super accurate, but should be close enough so you know what to buy. You can probably go with something slightly taller or slightly wider, but you don't want to raise the back of the blower too much.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
New Wheels

I've replaced the rims/tires on a couple of snowblowers that had hard rubber tires. I found some used pneumatic rims with tires at a small engine shop, I was able to pick through the various rims they had pulled from junkers and found some with the right axel diameter. I did have to shorten the shafts to the length I needed (used a small cutoff wheel in a drill press), wasn't hard and went from hard tires to pneumatics.

Here's the rims marked where I needed to shorten the axel shafts for mine (mark is where the original rims ended in relation to the bolt hole for the bolt):

I also had to open the bolt holes from 1/4" to 5/16" but when it was done, it was an easy mod.

Here's one that the modification was done to:

It does put the tire on this one too close to the frame so you cannot use chains without them catching on the bottom of the handlebars, too close a fit on this one.

Last edited by HCBPH; 10-11-2011 at 06:14 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Waited too long to edit

Couldn't add this (timed out). Here's another snowblower I have that's the same basic machine but still has the hard rubber tires on:

the modified one I didn't use chains on. I have a slope in the front yard, about 2', I was able to back up it without chains after blowing the sidewalk out front using the new tires where the 7 hp with regular pneumatic tires but no chains wouldn't (had to drag it up because it didn't have enough traction). Those tires in the earlier picture worked pretty good for me last winter. This year will tell if it's a good mod or not.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Ahh i didn't blow up the pictures full size to look closely, i assumed they were air filled, but these are solid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page