LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 10-07-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
Buying a 70's Ariens SnowBlower

Ive been looking into getting a used snow blower and the more investigating i did, the more i was leaning towards the older machines that were made to last. Long story short i was on Craigslist tonight and i have someone right down the street from me selling 2 difference 70's models that he completely rebuilt including installing brand new motors in them. Here is part of the add.

New Parts Installed...
Predator 6.5HP { 212cc } Gas Engine, Drive Belt, Axle Bushings, Shear Pins, Auger Bushings, Friction Drive Bearings, Heavy Duty Wear Shoes, Impeller Bearing, Custom Oil Drain Tube, Gearbox Oil.
3 Hour motor break-in done, all adjustments made, All joints & moving parts lubed up, Welded engine mounting studs { Not Bolts }

I wondering which model to get because the are very similar with the same work done to both of them and in almost the same condition, and they are the same price ..lol Which would you choose and why?

The model number are 910962 which i believe is a 1971 and the other is 910008 and is a 1973 i think.. Any info would be great because i think im gonna go look at these tomorrow being that he is right around the corner.. Ty and great website im glad i found this place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
if he has one with chrome handles and a differential get that one. the ones with white handlebars were the base models up until 1976
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 27 Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 12
Welcome to the forum!
If all those parts were replaced, and replaced correctly I might add, then there shouldn't be an issue with the blowers. The Predator motor is a great choice for replacing onto a snowblower, plenty of oomph behind it.
Can't go wrong with the older machines, that's why they're still around and why many of us still use them

1972 Ariens 13/32 restored & repowered
1971 Ariens 7/24 (retired)
2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1980 Ariens st7/24 (retired)
1985 Ariens st10/36
post #4 of 27 Old 10-07-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Both of them have the chrome handles and locking axles.. Heres a photo of the 71

and here is the 73

TY 43128 and slowrider for the info..

Last edited by ChuckD; 10-08-2015 at 12:14 AM.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-08-2015, 12:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 260
Hey you're right up the road from me!

As you've probably realized by now, either would be a good choice and there's very little difference between the two.

All other things being equal, I'd probably pick the '73 because you can engage/disengage the belt drive from the operator's position which is a little safer and more convenient than the older arrangement. But the other is fine too... I've owned two of that type and loved 'em both.

Maybe the thing to do is go look at both and see what your impression is. Maybe one will feel a little tighter or have smoother controls or something.

Edit: looking at the photos again, it appears the wheel-drive control may work differently? I know on the older models, when the handle is released the machine goes, and you squeeze it to make the machine stop which IMHO is a bit unsafe. If the '73 works the opposite way... you squeeze the handle to make the machine *go*, I'd definitely pick that one.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Last edited by ELaw; 10-08-2015 at 12:51 AM.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post

Edit: looking at the photos again, it appears the wheel-drive control may work differently? I know on the older models, when the handle is released the machine goes, and you squeeze it to make the machine stop which IMHO is a bit unsafe. If the '73 works the opposite way... you squeeze the handle to make the machine *go*, I'd definitely pick that one.
yes, that is correct..
up to and including 1972, you press the lever to *stop* the machine, and let go to make it run..which means the machine will run by itself, without your hands on the handlebars..not a big deal IMO, in fact, I like it! but it is technically less safe..

starting in 1973, they reversed it..you have to physically hold down the lever (on the left-hand handlebar) to make it run, and letting go makes it stop.

scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-08-2015, 09:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 318
Likes (Received): 626
What's the Price? I have a 10000 series predator powered machine for $350 hudson ma
post #8 of 27 Old 10-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
the one on the bottom is the newer safer version. jackmels i also saw your ad for the honda gx160 one like a week ago for 300
post #9 of 27 Old 10-08-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
ok TY elaw,i did read up on the different models and i think i will go with the 73 as long as it looks good.. Ill take em both for a spin..lol. Kinda wish there was some snow.. Anyway, Hes asking $400 for either one, Jack. Im gonna offer $350 and see what he says.. Hes literally right down the street from me , which is nice...
post #10 of 27 Old 10-12-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ty to everyone here on the forum for all your info.. Between everyone here, and the person i bought the machine from, i bought the 73 model off him today.. This is a nice little hobby ive gotten myself into totally out of necessity..lol . Anyway, I would just like to let everyone here in the forums know that the person i bought this snowblower from does this as a hobby and only works on these older Ariens snowblowers.. I was shocked when i went to his house and saw all the machines he had..All he works on is Ariens.. Hes a mechanic/machinist with a small machine shop in his garage and he can make pretty much anything..lol. He has parts/motors and rebuilt Ariens snowblowers .. If anyone needs anything or lives in the Lowell Ma area i would be more than happy to give you his info if your looking for parts or a machine.. Thanks again for this great forum

Last edited by ChuckD; 10-12-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page