PLEASE ADVISE!-question on Auto Turn for my application - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 15
PLEASE ADVISE!-question on Auto Turn for my application

I live in NH. I've been using Arien snowblowers for 35 years. I have a very long 400 yard packed dirt/gravel driveway.

I have a plow guy that blows in and out but often leaves it a bit narrow. especially last year with 10 feet of snow in February the snow just gets too much to push back.

I need to widen it out. So, I have to run the entire length of 400 yards on both sides of the drive with 1/3 of the bucket into the bank on each side to widen it out.

QUESTION: Will the auto turn on the SHO Plat 30 keep kicking in and making the machine dance around making me nuts? I need it to track straight with a lot of heavy snow in 1/3 to 1/2 of the bucket for 400yds.

PLEASE - before I buy this. I may have to buy the new Honda 928 instead for much more $ but those can run with both wheels locked in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
My thought would be Honda,Toro or Husqvarna. These machines will not turn unless you tell them to. From what I have read and watched on YouTube for your application of opening your drive and maybe just having snow on one edge of the blower auto turn may fight you. I am looking at either Toro or Husqvarna for that reason. Otherwise Ariens would be top of the list. Honda is just way too much money. Good luck!

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 10-10-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
post #3 of 7 Old 10-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4368
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Welcome to the forum McRockFish

My thought would be a rider. If you have that much driveway you likely have a rider for the lawn already. Unless you need the exercise that's a LOT of driveway to be doing with a walk behind.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-10-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 15
No big deal on the walk...20 minutes one side, 20 the other. I'm in shape and don't mind the walk. I've already been doing it with an 824 for the last 10 years! It is getting a bit tired, I work it hard! It also flew out of my truck when I hit black ice on the highway at 60 and spun into a bank and now it is a bit bent!

I'm going to buy the new Honda 928 for this application unless somebody here still thinks the Platinum 30 SHO won't keep pull me into the banks and all over the place...?

thank you.

Last edited by McRockFish; 10-10-2015 at 11:11 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 376
Likes (Given): 468
Likes (Received): 483
I think that you will be much happier with the honda for your application since it will be able to track straight (unless you make it turn one way or the other).
Plus the quality, durability and reliability of a honda is hard to beat.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRockFish View Post
No big deal on the walk...20 minutes one side, 20 the other. I'm in shape and don't mind the walk. I've already been doing it with an 824 for the last 10 years! It is getting a bit tired, I work it hard! It also flew out of my truck when I hit black ice on the highway at 60 and spun into a bank and now it is a bit bent!

I'm going to buy the new Honda 928 for this application unless somebody here still thinks the Platinum 30 SHO won't keep pull me into the banks and all over the place...?

thank you.
I don't think the SHO will pull you all around. I have a platinum 30 and never found it to turn on it's own. I cut back the snow banks on the side of the road around my house and did not find any issues..

Have you looked at the Ariens tracked units?

Ariens Platinum 30
post #7 of 7 Old 10-13-2015, 09:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 19
I'm afraid you will be fighting the machine constantly widening your driveway. My home driveway is also very long at 1000 feet, and I plow mostly. When it's too deep to plow or I need to widen the driveway, I use the blower. When I widen as you described the machine fights me at all times because of the drag on the side you are working. I learned to lean into the handles but it is a pain. All other times the auto-turn works great, but you are worried for good reason.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page