post #1 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
going to look at a very oid ariens

i decided not to buy that small one
i,m going to look at at ,i think a 63 or 64 machine (half teardrop)
seller says machine runs great and is in my price range
i like old machines but worried is this something that will be good for me
or should i stay away from it and go for something newer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
can anyone tell me what to look for when i go look at it?
post #3 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
Go to youtube and type "what to look for used snowblower" you will find a 13 minute vid by doneyboy73. Watch it and you're good to go. Take notes if you have to.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 35
Pay attention to the auger gearbox. It should be fairly quiet. If you reach in the front and grab the shaft that goes back towards the fan, it shouldn't have any play.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Well... I'm not a fan of old snow blowers, particularly old Ariens and I'm sticking to my guns on that. If you live in light fluffy snow, you'll probably be just fine. I've had the displeasure of 3 old blowers (2 old Ariens, 1 Montgomery Ward) using them in New England.

The issue is, they simply weren't designed to throw snow OR were designed for driveways that are 1 car wide. The Montgomery Ward could throw the thick snow we get about 3 feet, both old Ariens about 5-7 feet. Nothing like blowing my driveway that's 20 feet wide with an old Ariens throwing the stuff 5 feet. The old Ariens loved to ride up on the snow at the end of the driveway I had to really pull up on the handles... it used to wear me out so much. Those old Ariens had slick tires too man, absolutely pointless without chains now I'm certain that blower comes with chains on the tires. I found their carbs to be finicky too, even running the blower out of gas for the summer I typically had carb issues the next year.

The transmissions.... ugg. Typically reverse is the first to show signs of not working but it's an easy adjustment, however very finicky. But a couple years ago I was done blowing with the old Ariens and was heading to the garage in 4th gear. Let go of the drive and auger levers to open the garage door and the **** thing didn't disengage went right into the **** door, with chains and plenty of horsepower. I don't trust them now at all, what if that were my son.

Anyway, I spent $550 at my small engine repair shop on one Ariens to get it to throw further apparently all he could do was spray the chute as it threw a little better for a storm or 2. There are paddle things people can install and I'm sure helps a little... but it's physics. How does increasing the impeller from 10" to 10.5" mean you'll be throwing snow twice as far? The physics say they can only add 5% throwing distance at best. My other old Ariens I spent $450 on carb repairs from my small engine shop over the years and finally got so sick of the thing running like crap I put it on craigslist for $35.

About the late 80's things changed drastically for throwing distance. Unless this is for show, or collection, or you live in an area with light puffy snow then maybe. But I would opt for something at least 1990 with Toro's (I'm a Toro fan), 1995 with Ariens, any Honda. They're not typically all that much more expensive. A craigslist tip is, find a post the person doesn't post a picture. Everyone completely skips over those... but a lot of the time they're people who take great care of their machines but as another poster said aren't good at posting. You also have those who are great posters (plenty of pictures) but the machines are crap.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of old blowers for actual use... at all. Been there, done that, very happy to have moved on.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nt40lanman View Post
Pay attention to the auger gearbox. It should be fairly quiet. If you reach in the front and grab the shaft that goes back towards the fan, it shouldn't have any play.
just got back from looking at it
the auger shafts are tight,has no rot
the engine smokes on start up but not running ,high and low, no knocks
doesn't throw snow far
no reverse but forward ok $140 delivered 15 mins. away
post #7 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
Well... I'm not a fan of old snow blowers, particularly old Ariens and I'm sticking to my guns on that. If you live in light fluffy snow, you'll probably be just fine. I've had the displeasure of 3 old blowers (2 old Ariens, 1 Montgomery Ward) using them in New England.

The issue is, they simply weren't designed to throw snow OR were designed for driveways that are 1 car wide. The Montgomery Ward could throw the thick snow we get about 3 feet, both old Ariens about 5-7 feet. Nothing like blowing my driveway that's 20 feet wide with an old Ariens throwing the stuff 5 feet. The old Ariens loved to ride up on the snow at the end of the driveway I had to really pull up on the handles... it used to wear me out so much. Those old Ariens had slick tires too man, absolutely pointless without chains now I'm certain that blower comes with chains on the tires. I found their carbs to be finicky too, even running the blower out of gas for the summer I typically had carb issues the next year.

The transmissions.... ugg. Typically reverse is the first to show signs of not working but it's an easy adjustment, however very finicky. But a couple years ago I was done blowing with the old Ariens and was heading to the garage in 4th gear. Let go of the drive and auger levers to open the garage door and the **** thing didn't disengage went right into the **** door, with chains and plenty of horsepower. I don't trust them now at all, what if that were my son.

Anyway, I spent $550 at my small engine repair shop on one Ariens to get it to throw further apparently all he could do was spray the chute as it threw a little better for a storm or 2. There are paddle things people can install and I'm sure helps a little... but it's physics. How does increasing the impeller from 10" to 10.5" mean you'll be throwing snow twice as far? The physics say they can only add 5% throwing distance at best. My other old Ariens I spent $450 on carb repairs from my small engine shop over the years and finally got so sick of the thing running like crap I put it on craigslist for $35.

About the late 80's things changed drastically for throwing distance. Unless this is for show, or collection, or you live in an area with light puffy snow then maybe. But I would opt for something at least 1990 with Toro's (I'm a Toro fan), 1995 with Ariens, any Honda. They're not typically all that much more expensive. A craigslist tip is, find a post the person doesn't post a picture. Everyone completely skips over those... but a lot of the time they're people who take great care of their machines but as another poster said aren't good at posting. You also have those who are great posters (plenty of pictures) but the machines are crap.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of old blowers for actual use... at all. Been there, done that, very happy to have moved on.
my last machine was a 1995 toro 724
and i didn't like the fat drum,it just rolled up on me alot
post #8 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post

I Think the 10000 Series Machines Work Fine. Here's a pic of my neighbor using one of mine in 2+ feet of snow.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #9 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
it can be fixed up to work just fine. but not at that price. I have sold a few old ariens and they sold recently for $200 after I did belts, friction disc tune up etc. they were fully prepped ready to work.

$140 ... no way... should be closer to $70 ( ps one I just sold was a 5 hp 20 inch ariens, i did all the above and sold for $200...was running when I got it and I paid $40)
post #10 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 35
Yea, for $140, if you like old Ariens iron, a newer one with a few better features can b e had for that money.

Mine is a mid-70's that I transplanted a 10hp and a pulley mod onto and it throws 30+ feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page